7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 7:40 PM by the_wine_snob

Sequence settings for MPEG

satacuma

Hello

Which is the best sequence settings in Premier Pro CS4 to work with MPEG files (720 x 480)?

I wish someone can help me because there are no presets available for this format and my redering times are huge.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Sequence settings for MPEG
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For 720 x 480, the country (NTSC, or PAL) Preset for DV will work fine. Now, if you have some FPS, other than 29.97, that would require a Desktop Preset, and then "fill in the blanks." The PAR needs to match your footage, with either Standard, Widescreen, or Square Pixels. For the latter, Desktop will allow you to adjust for that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Sequence settings for MPEG
            satacuma Level 1

Hunt,

I will try that and see how it works. Thank you.

Sabrina

2010/2/14 Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com>

For 720 x 480, the country (NTSC, or PAL) Preset for DV will work fine.

Now, if you have some FPS, other than 29.97, that would require a Desktop

Preset, and then "fill in the blanks." The PAR needs to match your footage,

with either Standard, Widescreen, or Square Pixels. For the latter, Desktop

will allow you to adjust for that.

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>

• 3. Re: Sequence settings for MPEG
              satacuma Level 1

Although sequence settings and video format match, It is still giving me the

red line in work area.

Is it possible that I need some kind of codec for MPEG?

Thank you

2010/2/14 Sabrina Cupeiro <sabrina.cupeiro@gmail.com>

Hunt,

>

I will try that and see how it works. Thank you.

>

Sabrina

>

>

>

>

For 720 x 480, the country (NTSC, or PAL) Preset for DV will work fine.

>> Now, if you have some FPS, other than 29.97, that would require a Desktop

>> Preset, and then "fill in the blanks." The PAR needs to match your footage,

>> with either Standard, Widescreen, or Square Pixels. For the latter, Desktop

>> will allow you to adjust for that.

>>

>> Good luck,

>>

>> Hunt

>>

• 4. Re: Sequence settings for MPEG
                Harm Millaard Level 7

No. And the red line is only relevant for preview purposes on slower machines. It goes with the territory of using heavily compressed source material that is intended to be watched, not edited.

• 5. Re: Sequence settings for MPEG
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As Harm points out, Rendering (the need for which is indicated by the "red line.") is ONLY for playback. I complete many Projects, and never need to Render, as things play fine. Other times, I might Render a Keyframed section dozens of times, looking closely at what I have done, as smoothly as is possible). Don't be put off by the red line. Only Render if playback starts to stutter, etc. Then, you might only need to Render part of the Timeline, and that can be controlled with the WAB (Work Area Bar) to limit the area of the Render. Note: if you do adjust the WAB, it's always a good idea to hit the \ [Backslash key], and then Dbl-click on the little "box" in the middle of the WAB to reset it to full, before you do an Export. Though most Export options can be set to WAB, or Full Sequence, I've found a few, that got confused and try to Export just the WAB, regardless of the setting. Maybe CS4 has finally fixed this 100%? I still do that reset of the WAB out of habit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Sequence settings for MPEG
                    satacuma Level 1

I will go on working with the red line. It is true that I have a slow

machine and that causes problems in the preview, but for export it is OK.

Thank you very much for your useful advice.

Sabrina

As Harm points out, Rendering (the need for which is indicated by the "red

line.") is ONLY for playback. I complete many Projects, and never need to

Render, as things play fine. Other times, I might Render a Keyframed section

dozens of times, looking closely at what I have done, as smoothly as is

possible). Don't be put off by the red line. Only Render if playback starts

to stutter, etc. Then, you might only need to Render part of the Timeline,

and that can be controlled with the WAB (Work Area Bar) to limit the area of

the Render. Note: if you do adjust the WAB, it's always a good idea to hit

the \ [Backslash key], and then Dbl-click on the little "box" in the middle

of the WAB to reset it to full, before you do an Export. Though most Export

options can be set to WAB, or Full Sequence, I've found a few, that got

confused and try to Export just the WAB, regardless of the setting. Maybe

CS4 has finally fixed this 100%? I still do that reset of the WAB out of

habit.

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>

• 7. Re: Sequence settings for MPEG
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sabrina,

If you do find an issue with playback, then the Render will likely help there. Just be patient, and let it complete. Remember, it is basically only for playback.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - with the exception of AVCHD material, one's I/O sub-system, i.e. their HDD's, speed, size, controller type, free space and how they are allocated, will be the big determining factor for playback.