9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 3:36 PM by the_wine_snob

Problems with Premiere Pro 2.0:  sound lost after clip pasting

tryerlu

To integrate small projects to one bigger Project, it used to work well with Premiere Pro 1.5 in the following way: import small projects into the main sequence of the new project and, in parallel, copy the clips from the timeline of the small projects and past them into the timeline of the new project. However, I am encountering the following problems while trying to do the same thing with Premiere Pro 2.0:

·        Video and sound of every pasted clip becomes unlinked.

·        Although the sound was there (also shows in the wave view) right after the pasting and it can be rendered, but the audio Information gets lost as soon as I exit the new project (saved beforehand). If I re-open this new project, although the timeline shows all the pasted sound clips, but there is information in them - no sound (the wave views show only straight lines).

·        As well, some of the video and audio effect settings get lost (e.g. cross fading), but the effects such as brightness and contrast settings always remain.

·        At least one thing seems to be sure: the imported files themselves are ok. Newly created clips in the timeline from those imported files (dragged into the timeline) are fine - no information lost.

All tips are great helps. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Problems with Premiere Pro 2.0:  sound lost after clip pasting
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This has happened to many - myself included. Unfortunately, the long thread on my observations, plus the comments by many others, has long been lost, as of the forum changeover.

Now, Copy/Paste is often part of the equation, though not always. The loss of the Audio is often fairly quick, though not always. Mine came after about a dozen Renders, and many hours after the Paste.

The "fix" is to use Match, on the Clip. In PrPro 2.0, that was the T key (IIRC), and in later versions is the M key. There is a recent thread, that I will try to find and link to, that talks about PrPro 2.0 vs later versions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problems with Premiere Pro 2.0:  sound lost after clip pasting
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the recent THREAD. Jeff Bellune gives the correct keys in later versions, down near the end. He and I both had some "false starts" as we both confused versions - sorry about that.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problems with Premiere Pro 2.0:  sound lost after clip pasting
              tryerlu Level 1

I am glad that you have the solution to solve this problem. I am released! I will try with the M Key.

However, I am just fresh with Premiere 2.0 and am not that familiar with the English terms yet. Though I am from Germany, I have also made one installation of this software in English language. Could you give me once more hints what CTI and Match Frame operation are? So I can try to find them in my program.

Thanks so much for the great help! Otherwise I would have to re-do all of the projects again, it would be terrible.

Tryerlu

• 4. Re: Problems with Premiere Pro 2.0:  sound lost after clip pasting
                tryerlu Level 1

I forgot to ask: does this Match Frame operation also recover the missing links between the video-audio clips and the missing effect settings (e.g. cross fading) lost while pasting?

tryerlu

• 5. Re: Problems with Premiere Pro 2.0:  sound lost after clip pasting
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The CTI is Current Time Indicator, which has the red Edit Line on it. That shows you exactly where you are on the Timeline.

The Match Frame basically tells the program to go to the Source File and re-gather the information from it. The Project files (PRPROJ) is only an XML database, with links to the actual Asset files on the HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and then instruction sets on what to do with those Asset files. Sometimes, the links get confused and things can go wrong. Match Frame basically tells the program to go look at that Asset file again, and gather all the info once more.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Problems with Premiere Pro 2.0:  sound lost after clip pasting
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

does this Match Frame operation also recover the missing links between the video-audio clips and the missing effect settings (e.g. cross fading) lost while pasting?

Match Frame only gathers info on the actual Asset, for the file on the HDD. The loss of the Transitions is fault in the Copy/Paste operation. Some will come in, but often they are lost in the process. I do not know what goes off, but most people just know that they will loose the Transitions and prepare to add them back. Match Frame will not help there - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problems with Premiere Pro 2.0:  sound lost after clip pasting
                      tryerlu Level 1

Thanks again for the explanations. I checked in HELP and hope that I have understood right that to match frames means double click the clip in the timeline. But I did not find any explanation about the M-key.

However, I tried the following on a few problem clips: linked the video and audio parts of the clip, put the CTI over it and then double clicked the clip. The video clip showed up in the source window, but nothing happened with its sound clip. Probably I am not doing it quite right somewhere. What must I do with the M-key?

tryerlu

• 8. Re: Problems with Premiere Pro 2.0:  sound lost after clip pasting
                        tryerlu Level 1

I got it!

Though not described in the English HELP, but in the German HELP: I have to press the Shift and T Keys. It works in my case with the following steps:

1.     Mark the corresponding audio and video tracks

2.     Put CTI over the clip

3.     Press shift + T

4.     Double click the clip

5.     Eventually I have to repeat and press the keys shift +T again.

Thanks a lot once more for all of the hints and the detailed explanations. It is indeed a great help. I really appreciate it very much.

tryerlu

• 9. Re: Problems with Premiere Pro 2.0:  sound lost after clip pasting
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I got it!

Music to our ears!

Thanks for the comprehensive report too.

Good luck,

Hunt