6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 12:18 PM by TynanW

Export problems ! : (

TynanW Level 1

Hi there AE folk . . .

I am having real trouble with the exporting my movie from After Effects.

The project is 1280 x 720 px, but when I go . . . . . File >> Export >> Quicktime . . . . and render the movie it always comes out at half size (640 x 360 px) !!??

The Project itself is set at full resolution - and in the Export box the 'Size' (Dimensions) parameter is set at 'current'.

The issue is not specific to this project - it happens with all my projects - changing the codec the Quicktime wrapper is using makes no difference (I have tried ProRes, H,264, MPEG-4 . . . etc)

Also if I set the 'Size' (Dimensions) parameter onto '1280 x 720 HD' it appears to be still 640 x 360 but looks like it is scaling the frame up to fill the 1280 x 720 size - and as you might imagine the quality is very bad.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

This is how I used to export for years and years when I was on AE7 with no problems at all (I am now on CS4 + 27" i7 iMac).

I realise the more common method would be to use the Make Movie >> Render Queue workflow, but this does not allow me to do basic things like use AAC or MPEG4 or MP3 audio (I write music for TV ads and need to sync with at least one of these formats) nor can you set temporal key frame quality with accuracy. So this route is no good for me. (For example one company I work for will only except AAC).

Anyone got any clues as to how to resolve this ?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Lee.

• 1. Re: Export problems ! : (
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Set Render Quality to Best? I'm not sure, but still sounds to me like the comp is simply not at full. Either there is something not right with CS4's Auto-Resolution or you have manually overridden a sub-comp to be at half res permanently. This might also have ill effects. Aside from that, users have reported any number of weird things going on with Quicktime X on Snow Leopard. Therefore you might consider disabling it and relying on the legacy Quicktime version only. Whatever it is, I'd definitely call it one of those Snow Leopard things... I've nevcer observed these problems on my 10.5.8 nor on my PCs.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export problems ! : (
            TynanW Level 1

Cheers for the reply Mylenium . . .

**Set Render Quality to Best?**

I am not entirely sure what you are saying here ? If you mean the 'Render Quality' switch in the time line (??) then changing it between 'Best' to 'Draft' will have no impact on the actual resolution of the render - anyhow it's already set to 'Best'.

**I'm not sure, but still sounds to me like the comp is simply not at full.**

The comp is incredibly simple, no pre-comps, no animation, just some music being laid up against a pre-existing 720p Quicktime. The comp is set on 'Full' (I am not using 'Auto-Resolution' - but when I do the problem still occurred).

**Aside from that, users have reported any number of weird things going on with Quicktime X on Snow Leopard. Therefore you might consider disabling it and relying on the legacy Quicktime version only.**

I am not sure (ok, let's be honest here, I have no clue!) how to even go about doing that, I have got QT X and QT 7 installed, but don't know how to disable QT X ? (A quick Google doesn't offer much in the way of clues for the hard of thinking like myself).

One other thing is that the problem seems to be intermittent, without changing anything that I am aware of a render can suffer this problem, then 30 seconds later a second attempt at a render can go through just fine ?

This is a real problem for me . . . . !!!

Why can we simply not have the full range of control over output settings in the main Render output section ?

Thanks for your input Mylenium, it's really appreciated.

Lee.

• 3. Re: Export problems ! : (
              SpareWheel Level 2

Hi Lee.

You really do emphasise the fact that "you haven't a clue..." If that is the case, you do need to go over the basics about Export and Render in order to help yourself get some clarity.

Like most of us we want to see results right off - we come crashing into a new product and often never read the instructions on the can...

Speaking as a newbie to AE myself, spend time going over the Tutorials and your F1 Help - for as something as basic as Render or Export it will make the difference, and save you a lot of time in the end.

Not trying to flame or wind you up here, but you do need to get yourself some "clues" as to what it is you are doing and trying to achieve before the more experienced comments here shine some light on to your problem.

• 4. Re: Export problems ! : (
                TynanW Level 1

Hi Drystonewall.

**You really do emphasise the fact that "you haven't a clue..." If that is the case, you do need to go over the basics about Export and Render in order to help yourself get some clarity.**

The "haven't a clue" refers to Mylenium's suggestion of 'disabling Quicktime X in Snow Leopard and relying on the legacy Quicktime version only' - rather than After Effects per sa.

**Like most of us we want to see results right off - we come crashing into a new product and often never read the instructions on the can...

Not trying to flame or wind you up here, but you do need to get yourself some "clues" as to what it is you are doing and trying to achieve before the more experienced comments here shine some light on to your problem.**

Don't worry about winding me up, all input gratefully received, all suggestions appreciated and listened to.

My problem is not a lack of understanding of how After Effects works - I have been using After Effects professionally since around 1995 possibly a little earlier . . . (good god ! I am getting old) . . . I used to teach After Effects to post productions houses as far back 1998 and worked with Adobe (UK) supplying demonstration projects - later moving onto composition for film and television.

**you do need to get yourself some "clues" as to what it is you are doing and trying to achieve**

I know exactly what it is I am trying to achieve, I am trying to output my composition at the correct size, but the Export Quicktime function is rendering the movie at half resolution.

?

Lee.

• 5. Re: Export problems ! : (
                  SpareWheel Level 2

I think what Mylenium was referring to is Render Settings:

Composition>>Add to Render Queue>>Render Settings (the yellow description link)>>Resolution>>Full... It could be that your render resolution setting is other than "Full", which will give you a render output as you describe.

• 6. Re: Export problems ! : (
                    TynanW Level 1

**I think what Mylenium was referring to is Render Settings:

Composition>>Add to Render Queue>>Render Settings (the yellow description link)>>Resolution>>Full... It could be that your render resolution setting is other than "Full", which will give you a render output as you describe.**

Hi Drystonewall.

As I say in my initial post above - I am using 'Export' rather than the 'Render' Queue, but thanks for your input.

Lee.