17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 11:38 AM by duncaninfrance

Save for web command

duncaninfrance

I am running Ill 10imnn Windows 7 Home Premium by changing the compatability. Everything appears to be OK and to start with it was but after producing an image  and wanting to Save for web I am getting the followin:-

'Cannot complete this operation because an assertion has failed'

When I first used it in W7 it worked fine.   Can anyone offer a solution please?

• 1. Re: Save for web command
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Move the settings folder or the save for the web preferences.

Might help butI have felling the error will come back.

• 2. Re: Save for web command
            duncaninfrance Level 1

From where to where? Another thing that is now happening is that instead of seeing the image to save there is just a coloured box!

• 3. Re: Save for web command
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Duncan,

'Cannot complete this operation because an assertion has failed'

You have not forgotten to tell Illy how much you appreciate her, have you?

As for moving the folder, you may read on here: Move the folder ; it is early morning over there.

• 4. Re: Save for web command
                duncaninfrance Level 1

Didn't work. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling but the same problem. Either the "Cannot complete this operation because an assertion has failed" warning or just a Pink square where the image should be. 

• 5. Re: Save for web command
                  shunithD Level 3

duncaninfrance wrote:

Didn't work. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling but the same problem. Either the "Cannot complete this operation because an assertion has failed" warning or just a Pink square where the image should be. 

Apparently, short of doing a complete OS reintsall including a format of the boot / program disk, uninstalling and reinstalling does *not* affect the preference setting files. They have to be physically moved or deleted.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Save for web command
                    duncaninfrance Level 1

Thanks anyway guys. Looks like I am just going to have to find another programme to do the same job with. Can't afford to buy a newer version at the moment

• 7. Re: Save for web command
                      Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Duncan,

Didn't work. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling but the same problem.

Shunith tried to tell you that uninstalling/reinstalling does not have the effect of getting rid of the preferences, because they linger.

There is no reason to give up yet. You have not tried what has been suggested, or at least convinced us that you have.

• 8. Re: Save for web command
                        duncaninfrance Level 1

Well I THINK I did what you suggested.  I printed off the pdf instruction from the site and tried to follow it. Will have to try again but I am a 99% user and a 1% fixer

• 9. Re: Save for web command
                          duncaninfrance Level 1

No, it hasn't worked. I printed out the instruction from the website, did a search, moved the file to my desktop and opened it there - same problems. I have moved it back to the Adobe folder and the problems are still there.

• 10. Re: Save for web command
                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You did not quite follow instructions.

You first quit Illustrator then,

you move the settings folder to the desktop. And do nothing with it.

You then launch Illustrator by going to the start programs Adobe Illustrator as you would launch any program.

Do not do anything with the settings folder you moved to the desktop.

Try it again.

• 11. Re: Save for web command
                              Writer1

Duncan,

I just experienced the same exact problem as you did today. The "fix" that is posted on here did not work for me, and I tried it several times. Did you find another tool to use? If so, would you mind posting the info? Thanks!

• 12. Re: Save for web command
                                duncaninfrance Level 1

Afraid I can't help yet, nothing I tried so far works.

COME AND RELAX IN THE VINEYARDS OF BLAYE

Stay in our comfortable Holiday Gîte in France

http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk

• 13. Re: Save for web command
                                  Writer1 Level 1

I FOUND A SOLUTION THAT WORKS (at least so far) on another forum (you may have to reboot afterwards):

Using "Regedit" find the following key and delete it

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Save For Web 3.0"

*** note save for web has a 2.0 and 3.0 in the key. Just delete the 3.0 key.

• 14. Re: Save for web command
                                    BigAl737800
                                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I FOUND A SOLUTION THAT WORKS (at least so far) on another forum (you may have to reboot afterwards):

Using "Regedit" find the following key and delete it

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Save For Web 3.0"

*** note save for web has a 2.0 and 3.0 in the key. Just delete the 3.0 key.

That worked beautifully. Thank you!

• 15. Re: Save for web command
                                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Interesting I am pretty sure I wrote this in post one. You can find the solution if you give the poster a little license and then go do a serch based on the posters suggestion.

If the poster is not familiar with your system but knows what has to be corrected do a google search to check their info out. It might save a lot of trouble and time.

But of course it is not going to help all the time just sometimes.

• 16. Re: Save for web command
                                        BigAl737800 Level 1

Your answer worked as well but I didn't know where to look for the folder. I'm still learning.

I'm running AI10 under Windows 7 64 bit. AI10 worked fine for me under Windows XP service pack 3 and I'm using that compatibility option to run AI10 under windows 7.

Initially my issue was selecting Save For Web didn't open the save window at all. Nothing happened. Then I deleted the folder referenced above and the save for web window opened. After about 6 saves using save for web, I started getting the pink window discussed at the start of this topic. I delete the folder again and I'm good to go for another 6 saves or so before the issue repeats. I can live with this but wanted to give this information out in case any else out there is having the same issue.

Thanks.

• 17. Re: Save for web command
                                          duncaninfrance Level 1

Looks like I am going to have to live with the pink square! If you just select your preference and file size it saves exactly what you set up so now I know it will I don't have any problems. Tjhe answer appears to be 'There is no answer' 

Thanks for all the info.

Duncan