3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 11:37 AM by ebanyl

DV Capture Quality Problems

ebanyl Level 1

Hey,
      I've been trying to capture video from my mini DV camcorder in Premiere Pro CS3 but the quality is awful and i'm not sure why?

What I don't understand is, when I watch the tapes in the premiere capture window before I actually capture them..the quality is perfect. But then after I capture the clip and watch it back as an avi. file, it has all speckles of noise the whole way through it, and is really bad quality.

I thought it might be the firewire cable i was using so I went out and bought a new one, but the same thing happened so it can't be that. I really don't know that much about premiere, is there some type of setting i can change to make the quality better? The camcorder I am using is a Canon MD205.

Can anyone help??? =(

Ebany

• 1. Re: DV Capture Quality Problems
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Capture does nothing to the quality, it only transfers the data bit by bit. It's got to be something else: wrong sequence setting, monitor setting, your imagination, or what have you.

• 2. Re: DV Capture Quality Problems
            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, footage looks good on camera, and during the Capture, but bad in playback. Is that correct?

As Capture via FW is basically byte-for-byte transfer, it's likely that the problem is with the display in PrPro. The first thing that I would do would be to update the video driver to the very latest from the mfgr's. Web site.

Next, look at two aspects of playback (Rt-click on the Program Monitor), Quality and Magnification. I'd test Quality at both Highest and Automatic, and set Magnification to 100%. How does it look now?

Along the lines of display, you should look at your Hardware Acceleration. If set to max, try at min. If min, then try at max. If things improve, increment until they go bad, and back off one increment.

Look at your OpenGL settings, as these can cause similar. Might have to completely OpenGL.

Look at the top of your Timeline and let us know if there is a red line below the Time Ruler. There should not be if your Project/Sequence Preset matches the DV Preset, which your Captured footage should.

In a player like VLC, Open the Captured file from the HDD. How does it play there?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: DV Capture Quality Problems
              ebanyl Level 1

Hi, Yeah that's right.

I have checked the driver for my video card, and it is up to date. I changed the quality and magnification settings but it didn't make any difference?

However, I did play the file in Quicktime player and it played perfectly. I'm not sure what this means? Could it be that there's a problem with premiere?

Sorry, I am quite new to all of this. =S

Thanks for your help.

Ebany