4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 12:26 AM by pexile

[1280 x 720] --> [720 x 576]

nealeh Level 5

All of the following is in relation to PAL

I have a 70 minute MP4 file of HD (1280 x 720p] format from YouTube. PRE7 took this in and produced a good quality DVD. But, as the target *IS* DVD, I'm wondering if I would be better working with the YouTube SD (720 x 576) format instead.

I guess the question I'm asking myself is - is it better to let PRE7, rather than YouTube, do the downsizing?  Never having uploaded to YouTube I'm presuming (always dangerous) that users upload once in HD and let YouTube convert it to SD.

Anyone have any views on this?

Cheers,
      --
      Neale
      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 1. Re: [1280 x 720] --> [720 x 576]
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

No. The source footage dictates the Project Preset chosen. That is by far the best approach. Then, when the Project has been edited, the Export/Share can be to the required delivery format.

Many issues can arise, if the source footage and the Project do not match.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: [1280 x 720] --> [720 x 576]
            nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

Many issues can arise, if the source footage and the Project do not match.

For my HD PRE project I used the setting "PAL-HDV-HDV 720P 25" which produced a fine result.

The question is now academic as I downloaded the SD versions to find that they are only 480 x 270. I'm sure PRE produces better results downsizing YouTube videos from HD, rather than upscaling from SD.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: [1280 x 720] --> [720 x 576]
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Upscaling is a dodgey procedure, at best. There is a pricey plug-in, InstantHD, but I do not know if it even works with PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: [1280 x 720] --> [720 x 576]
                pexile Level 1

Youtube has a list of formats that it likes. The best one is Mpeg 2. What I have done is render the file into mpeg 2 1280x720 and youtube does the rest when you upload it. The latest that I did turned out better than the 1920x 1080 that I did before. I have not found a way to use premiere to do these things as I gave up on it and use Cyberlink power director 8 to make the file then I load it up seperately from the editing software. There is a youtube link in power director but I found the way I just did it a lot faster and better results. Both Vimeo and youtube accept 1280 x720 but vimeo likes it to be mp4, Youtube likes Mpeg 2. AS far as premiere elements goes I have not seen a place to do either of the things I just mentioned but I did upload a file with the 1440x 1080 setting. It was four PiP's made into a 2x2, all SD but came out HD as the total of the horizontal was 720+720= 1440. The 1080 was a mystery as the other way it is 480+480= 960.