35 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 4:10 PM by the_wine_snob

How to change duration of music on menu?

Val8583 Level 1

Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0 - Windows Vista 64bit

I'm getting there. (Thanks to your help!)

I started from (almost) "scratch" so I'd have a nice "clean" video to burn to a DVD. I've reset all my chapter markers. Perfect, in Preview. I've chosen my menu and adjusted the motion scene selection buttons. Gorgeous, in Preview. I don't like the "default" music that comes with the menu I chose. I read some old threads here and found there is a 30 second limit, so I used Audacity to cut a WAV clip that's 16.23 seconds long to use as a loop. Here's the problem:

I clicked "Browse" and selected the same music clip for the Main Menu and each of three successive Scene Selection pages. Works fine on the Scene Selection pages, but the Main Menu won't play past 13 seconds for some inexplicable reason. I tried manually adjusting the "duration" to 16.23, but it snaps back to 13 as soon as I hit Preview.

I've closed the program, restarted my computer, made a new (identical) music clip (just in case the Main Menu didn't want to "share") but it still won't take it. It plays the first 13 seconds then abruptly loops back to the start, which is NOT a *smooth* transition - but it would be, IF it would play the whole 16.23 seconds like the other menu pages do without any problem.

I'm open to suggestions, but I sure hope I don't have to start over again. Oh, BTW - I tried switching to a totally different Disc Menu, just out of curiosity, and that one played the whole music clip on the Main Menu page without a problem... but I don't like the look of that menu, I want the other one - the one that's giving me grief (of course). Don't understand why it would work on one and not the other.

Please advise. Many thanks in advance. Cheers, Val

To answer a question one of you (Bill?) asked on the previous thread about my source material --

It was originally a PAL video cassette, converted to NTSC DVD. It's all on my computer now - four VOB files: three @ .99GB each, and one @ 691 MB. It's a one-hour Peter Allen TV Special broadcast in Australia. I am removing the advertising and making a menu that will allow selection of each song individually. I want more of a "concert" and less of a "TV show" as the finished product.

• 1. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You didn't say which menu template was giving you problems -- but it entirely is possible that you could have a 13 second limit on one and not another.

Another possibility is the duration of the video background, if there is one. Your audio or video can't exceed the length of the shorter clip so, if you've got a video clip as your menu background that only lasts 13 seconds, you won't be able to extend your audio background longer.

• 2. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
            Val8583 Level 1

Hi Steve!

I'm using the one that looks like a Broadway Theater marquee on the Main Menu, with a red curtain on the Scene Selection pages. I think it's the third one down on the list of choices. There is no video background. My 16.23 second audio plays all the way through on the successive Scene Selection pages. It's only the first, Main Menu page that's cutting off at 13 seconds. If I switch back to the "default" music, it cuts that one off at 13 seconds, too.

• 3. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Val,

This is just a guess, as I use Adobe Encore for my authoring needs, and one does everything manually, while PrE does it semi-automatically, so bear with me.

It sounds like there is a Loop Point/Duration set in your chosen Menu, and that is probably the Duration of the original music that was used. In Encore, one can manually set the Loop Point, the Duration and even the number of Loops, prior to following the default Button's Link. If you will tell me the Menu Set that you have chosen, I'll be glad to take it apart, with two cautions: I only have PrE 4, and there have been Menu Sets added to PrE in the later two versions, and I may not be able to find, or access a Loop Point. OTOH, I might be able to find a way to modify that Menu Set, and create a Copy of it, that you could use. It would have a very similar name (important for PrE), but would be unique, so that it would not mess up your existing Templates.

Let me know the Menu Set, and I'll explore it (if I have it), and try a few things. I've a couple of ideas, but they might fall very flat.

Now, you might give this a try. In your Disc Menu editing Panel, remove ALL Menu Audio. Do a Preview and make sure that all Menus are silent. Do a Save_As for your Project, to keep it safe. Name your Project something like [Project Name]_test_01. Save_As does two things: it will write your "new" Project and necessary files/folder, and will keep this "new" one Open. Your original will be basically closed out, and left alone. You can even see the name of the Project change in the GUI. Go back to the Menu editing Panel and add your music. Preview again. Still have that Loop Point?  Now, if the Loop Point is still there, this is where we both might need to do research, but I want to delete any Media Cache for the Authoring part of PrE's Save_As Project. We're not going after things like CFA's and PEK's, and the like, but anything that PrE might have created related to the authoring phase. Encore creates a Media Cache folder structure for things like Transcodes, Menus, etc., but I do not know at what point PrE might do this. Encore even has a feature to Delete the Media Cache. Sometimes, Assets (like your Menu Set) get "locked" into an earlier setup. Deleting the Media Cache will clear that earlier setup, but such a feature does not exist in PrE, to my knowledge. One of the reasons that I wanted you to Save_As, is that anything done with the Media Cache will be for the "test" Project, and not your original. If we mess things up, you still have your original.

Maybe someone, who knows PrE's authoring, better than I, can comment, and give you recs. to address the Loop Point more directly. Like I said, this would be a piece-o-cake in Encore, but so much is "under the hood" in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                nealeh Level 5

I've just looked at it - for the main menu there is a maximum of 13 seconds and 20 frames. For the scene selections 30 seconds.

music.jpg

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                  Val8583 Level 1

Neale - Dang it. I just wanted three more second. $#!& OK. Let me see if I can find a shorter audio clip that will be acceptable.

Bill - That's sweet of you, but far too complex for my first ever DVD authoring project. Let me see if I can find something I'm willing to "settle for" before getting into tampering with the program itself.

BTW: Neale - that is *exactly* the menu I'm *trying* to use. Where does it tell you the audio clip limits? Whatever the length of the "default" music, that's it? NO flexibility??? In the old threads I read here they say 30 seconds for the menus in general, not that each one has its own specific limit.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your assistance. Cheers, Val

• 6. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

What I am wondering is if that Menu is first set to no Audio, to "clear" that Duration, if one could then "adjust" it. Since the Menu Set is equal to a "Template/EM" in Encore, it is designed to use the one Audio Clip. If one could clear that, and then get it to accept another Audio Clip, things would be OK. Right now, Val is getting stuck with that Template setting.

If that "clearing" is not possible, then the only option would be to go back to Audacity and edit another Clip to match that time for the Main Menu in the Set.

Just thinking and speculating here...

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                      Val8583 Level 1

What I am wondering is if that Menu is first set to no Audio, to "clear" that Duration, if one could then "adjust" it.

I'm gonna print out your instructions, do a "Save As" and try it. I'll let you know. Thanks!

• 8. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Val,

Please do let us know. As I commented to Neale, I'm just thinking and speculating, and there might be some totally FIXED element, that we cannot alter.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                          Val8583 Level 1

Nope. Won't do it. I can "run silent" with the Main Menu forever - the klieg lights wave; the limo pulls up, stops, drives off over and over again. The minute I click on any audo track (I tried a few), it loops at 13.23 seconds. Oh well, guess I'll have to "settle" for a different audio track if I insist on using that particular menu. Dagnabbbit!

So - I'm off to Audacity to pare down a different audio clip. Thanks guys!

• 10. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Val,

Now we all know! Thanks for trying.

Good luck with the Audio. Personally, I use several SmartSound compositions for most of my Menu Audio, and am always on the lookout for more. For me, I like a Fade-in and Fade-out with repetition in between. As I am using Encore, I normally work with 30-40 sec. pieces. The repetition hides the "jump," when the user moved to another Menu. Unless one is paying very close attention, it sounds like one continuous score, though the DVD-specs do not allow that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                              Val8583 Level 1

Didn't work. Got a different problem. Started a new thread about audio loops.

• 12. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Val,

This comment made me wonder:

the klieg lights wave; the limo pulls up, stops, drives off over and over again.

In your response to Steve G's question up-thread, I got the impression that there was no Motion Background, i.e. Video on the background. Since I do not have the Broadway Menu Set in my PrE 4, I cannot check this out. Go to the folder, where this Menu is located. It will be in a sub-folder for your installation of PrE, under DVD Templates (of similar), and then probably in the Movie Genre, or Entertainment sub-folder. There should be a "(V)" in that folder's name. Inside that folder, you will have some .PSD's, some .PNG's, and probably 1, or 2 .AVI's (or similar AV format). Double-click on one of those AV files to play it in your default player for that format. Watch the Duration of that AV file. What is its Duration?

Who knows? There might be another way to get what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                  Val8583 Level 1

OK - got there. There are a bunch of PNGs, PSDs and MPEGs - I don't see any AVIs - there is one 13 second MP3 - the default audio.

But I've got a different problem now on a new thread. My shorter audio won't loop properly.

• 14. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Let us know the Duration of the MPEG. That might be the missing piece in the puzzle. I did not know what the format would be, and only had the PrE 4 Motion Menus to go on. They were AVI's.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 15. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?

You are exactly right, Hunt. If you got to the DVD template folder in the Program Files, you will find that both the video background and music background are each 13 seconds long. And that is what is locking the template to that loop length.

And, if you Browse to replace BOTH the audio and video background for the Broadway menu, you will also be able to change the length of the loop to the longer of the two clips -- up to 30 seconds.

• 16. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you. That is just as I suspected. I got sidetracked up-thread, when it appeared that this was NOT a Motion Menu set.

OK, I'd take the MPEG into PrE and edit it to a Duration, that would match the new, intended, Audio. One could use Time Stretch, as the visuals probably are set to a logical repeat. I'd maybe make a new sub, sub-folder with the new Assets, both the Video and the Audio, and then first link to the extended Video, and then the matching Duration Audio.

How does that work?

Greatly appreciated. Guess that I need to get upgraded, if for no other reason than to check things like this.

Hunt

• 17. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                          Val8583 Level 1

There are three MPEGs:4.43MB (14 sec),4.89MB (14 sec), 64.5MB (09 sec) - they all "look" the same when I play them. It's the marquee with the klieg lights waving back and forth.

• 18. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

One might be HD, one WideScreen and one SD. I'd check out the Frame size in G-Spot, and choose the one that you need for your Project. Import that one into PrE, and use Time Stretch to get it to the Duration that you need. Do a Save_As and locate it in the same sub-folder. I'd make sure to NOT Save over an existing name, but maybe add something to keep it unique. Then, you will have 4. Back in your Project, choose that new one as you Motion Background, and test what it's Duration shows. Look at Neale's post for the settings in the Menu Editing Panel. Then, try your Audio file of the same EXACT Duration (to the Audio Unit, as you do NOT want the Audio to be even a tiny bit longer. Actually, I'd probably add one full Frame to the Video, just to be certain. DVD's are based on Video, and Audio is secondary, but MUST be exactly the same, or very slightly shorter - never longer, even by one Audio unit.

How does this work?

Good luck, and please report. I only wish I could test this for myself.

Hunt

• 19. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                              Val8583 Level 1

WAY too much for my first ever DVD authoring project.

Let's just get the *short* audio clip to loop properly and call it a compromise.

I can use the audio clip I prefer (the one that's 3 seconds "too long") for the Scene Selection pages without a problem. Three out of the four pages will be just the way I want them, and the first one will have a slightly shorter clip from another part of the same song. That's fine... IF I can get it to loop properly, which, at the moment, it is refusing to do. <grumble>

• 20. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, unfortunately, you will still be fighting the Duration of the Video Asset in the Motion Menu. To do exactly what you want, you need to buy PrPro and Encore. That will let you adjust the Loop points exactly.

To do this in PrE, you must match the Assets' Durations, or it's no go. Or, you could use the Assets in the Menu Set, and live with that.

With PrE, one is relegated to some semi-automatic aspects of the authoring, and if one uses some elements from a Motion Menu Set, that locks things, as far as Duration goes.

Sorry for the bad news,

Hunt

• 21. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                  nealeh Level 5

Val8583 wrote:

BTW: Neale - that is *exactly* the menu I'm *trying* to use. Where does it tell you the audio clip limits?

Two methods:

• Hold your cursor over the duration field. It will change to the hand symbol. You can now click and drag left and right to decrease/increase the duration. It will not increase further than the 13;20. FYI this drag of duration works in just about all PRE time fields.
                                                  • Click in the field. You can now type in your duration. It will not let you increase the value above 13;20.

I'll have a look at Bill & Steve's suggestions later today and report back.

Cheers,
                                                  --
                                                  Neale

• 22. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                    nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

What I am wondering is if that Menu is first set to no Audio, to "clear" that Duration, if one could then "adjust" it.

I couldn't make that work. Even with the audio reset to 'no audio' the duration field remains and is still limited to a maximum of 13;20.

Cheers,
                                                    --
                                                    Neale

• 23. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Just to make sure that I am following what you did here, you increased the Duration of the Video Asset for the Motion Menu, with No Audio chosen initially, and then went to add a longer piece of Audio and it would not work past the originally set Duration for the Audio, even though you did increase the Duration of the linked Video. Is this correct?

Other than the Duration of the Video, I cannot imagine what else would be limiting things.

Though I do not have this particular Menu Set, I need to get busy with one of the "Template" Sets that I do have and see if I can drill down into it to find a way to make a change. Because the Menus are but .PSD's, unlike Encore's full Template .EM files, there has to be a simple control somewhere.

Thanks for trying and for reporting,

More - later,

Hunt

• 24. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                        nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

You are exactly right, Hunt. If you got to the DVD template folder in the Program Files, you will find that both the video background and music background are each 13 seconds long. And that is what is locking the template to that loop length.

And, if you Browse to replace BOTH the audio and video background for the Broadway menu, you will also be able to change the length of the loop to the longer of the two clips -- up to 30 seconds.

I don't find that though:

duration.jpg

I had a peek into the script and couldn't find any duration close to 13;20. I wondered if it was a NTSC/PAL thing, but the durations above would be shorter at 29.967.

Incidentally note also that the mp3 'Broadway' is using is 3min 51secs long and loops (badly) at 13;20. 

Cheers,
                                                        --
                                                        Neale

• 25. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, I just did a test in PrE 4, and used the Entertainment>Marquee (NTSC Standard). The original AV Background was 14;29 Duration. I took that AVI into Elements and used TimeStretch to increase the Duration to 29;20, did an Export to the same file name. I then created a 29;20 WAV file (SmartSound) and applied it as the Audio Asset. The Menu now plays for 29;20 and the Audio Duration matches perfectly at 29;20. At that point, both the Audio and Video Background Loop perfectly.

Unfortunately, I do not have the offending Broadway Menu Set, so I cannot test with that. I do not know what the problem with it might be. At the least, this test of another Motion Menu indicated that the AV Background can be altered within the 30 sec. limit, and that new Audio can be inserted to match that new Duration.

With the Broadway Menu Set, if one has linked to a longer Audio file, and to a longer AV Motion file, can the Duration of the Audio not be scrubbed to the full Duration of the new Audio piece? Obviously, with the original Audio file, its Duration will be the limiting factor, but if one links to a longer Audio file (matching the new Time Stretched AV Motion file), can one not scrub the original Audio Duration to the max Duration of the new file?

Unfortunately, I can only speculate on the Broadway Menu Set, but things worked as theorized for another Motion Menu Set.

I am highly puzzled.

Hunt

PS - I am attempting to get a copy of all of the Standard (4:3) Assets in the Broadway folder, so that I can test on that specific Menu. Will report when the testing is done. If I am successful, I will outline the exact steps that I took, so that others can duplicate them.

• 26. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?

Have a look at the clips in C:/PROGRAM FILES/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS/DVD TEMPLATES/ENTERTAINMENT/BROADWAY

When I opened the MPGs or the MP3s in Windows Media Player, they showed a duration of between 13 and 14 seconds.

• 27. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Good morning. Check your PM - "you've got mail."

Hunt

• 28. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                                nealeh Level 5

OK - I'm confident (with the Broadway template at least) that maximum duration IS tied into the video.

duration.jpg

As suggested I added a thirty second video clip and the maximum audio duration is then shown as a tad under the thirty seconds. I still don't understand why the Broadway mpg file durations all came in at around ten seconds and audio at thirteen - but I'm going to pretend I never noticed that .

Cheers,
                                                                --
                                                                Neale

• 29. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                                  Val8583 Level 1

There are some great suggestions here - but WAY over the head of this Newbie working on her very first video authoring project.

Ultimate Solution: I edited a different audio clip in Audacity. One that is *exactly* the right length (to loop in sync with the motion menu clip) with applause/laughter head and tail, so the ends "mesh" better when it loops.

I am very happy with my finished project, which I burned to my hard drive last night, and used ImgBurn to make a DVD-R this morning. For a first attempt - it's *fabulous*! I'm very pleased with myself, and the finished product.

I've got a bit of "tweaking" to do before I make hard copies for friends, but I think I'm set on this one. Thanks again to Bill, Steve and neale for all your knowledge, assistance, patience and good humor. Gold Stars all around. I couldn't have done it without you. Cheers, Val

• 30. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                                    nealeh Level 5

Val8583 wrote:

I am very happy with my finished project, which I burned to my hard drive last night, and used ImgBurn to make a DVD-R this morning. For a first attempt - it's *fabulous*! I'm very pleased with myself, and the finished product.

Good to know - it's always satisfying to put your disk into a DVD Player and everything looks and works great (although its usually at this point I find my spelling mistakes!)

Pleased it all worked out for you.

Cheers,
                                                                    --
                                                                    Neale

• 31. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?

All set, Hunt. I've sent you the files to study.

• 32. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you. I will report, as soon as the tests are complete.

Hunt

• 33. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are the results of my test of the Broadway Menu Set and the exact steps that I used. It starts a bit before the work with the Video and Audio, but this might be useful to someone creating a Menu Set for use with PrE.

I got the Standard (4:3) PSD’s for the Broadway Menu Set, both the Main Menu (mm) and Scene Selection (ss), plus the MPG and the MP3 files. To get these Menus to display in PrE’s Create Menus selection area, I Opened the PSD’s in Photoshop, and created the PNG “thumbnails” for them, using the naming convention of the other PNG thumbnails as my guide. I first resized each PSD to 160 x 128 pixels, and then did a Save_As_PNG-8, using the correct naming convention, used elsewhere. These were placed into a new “(V) Broadway” folder with the PSD’s, the Motion Asset MPEG and the Audio MP3 file. All displayed fine in PrE 4.

In a PrE Project, I took the original Broadway MPEG and used TimeStretch to increase its Duration to the 29;20, that I had used before (that would match my Audio file from earlier tests), and did a Share, choosing MPEG. This resulted in an m2v, but that worked fine.

In PrE’s Create Menus Panel, I chose the new, stretched m2v, and the Duration changed to match the 29;20 Duration of the Motion Asset. Next, I linked to the previous SmartSound WAV, that was edited to have a Duration of exactly 29;20. The Duration for that Asset changed to 29;20 instantly.

I previewed and the searchlights were now slower (as was to be expected) and the limo was also slower pulling in and out. The Menu’s Motion Background was smooth, but slower. The new Audio with Fade-in and Fade-out, played perfectly, and the Menu Looped very nicely. Actually the Looping was now better than with the original MPEG and MP3 Assets! This was a nice surprise, as there was a bit of a jolt, when the original Audio Looped. Not sure what could be done to eliminate that, but think that it would be easily accomplished in Audition, or Audacity. Maybe a test for another day.

I burned a DVD RW and the Menu worked perfectly. I did not complete the test by altering the Scene Selection Menus (in my test Project, I needed three of these), but feel confident that they would function the same way.

In conclusion, if one needs to use other Audio source files, this can be done, so long as one takes two things into consideration: the Video Motion Asset will determine the Looping/Duration, and the Duration must be < 30;00. I chose 29;20 to give myself a bit of headroom. Now, one needs to consider the visual effect of using TimeStretch to modify the Duration of a Background Video - here, it was fine. The Audio needs to match perfectly, or be ever so slightly shorter (I’m talking about a few Audio Units here - slight indeed), than the Video Asset.

Now, one is still limited to the 30;00 Duration limit, in PrE, but up to that point, the chosen Audio can be just as long as the Video.

I strongly recommend using a short Fade-in and Fade-out on the Audio, so that there is a lead-in/lead-out that will keep from having harsh jumps with the Loop.

Hope that this helps someone in the future.

Hunt

• 34. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                                            nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

In a PrE Project, I took the original Broadway MPEG and used TimeStretch to increase its Duration to the 29;20, that I had used before (that would match my Audio file from earlier tests), and did a Share, choosing MPEG. This resulted in an m2v, but that worked fine.

Did your m2v file come in at about 19MB (compared to 2.7 of the original mpeg)?

the_wine_snob wrote:

Actually the Looping was now better than with the original MPEG and MP3 Assets! This was a nice surprise, as there was a bit of a jolt, when the original Audio Looped. Not sure what could be done to eliminate that, but think that it would be easily accomplished in Audition, or Audacity. Maybe a test for another day.

The original mp3 had a duration of 3min 51sec hence the jerky loop. My testing suggests that the audio length is irrelevant to the maximum duration. Of course, to get a smooth loop it makes sense to produce an audio that loops nicely.

Cheers,
                                                                            --
                                                                            Neale

• 35. Re: How to change duration of music on menu?
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                              Did your m2v file come in at about 19MB (compared to 2.7 of the original mpeg)?

Neale,

It was 21,215KB., compared to the original's 5,016KB. There is little correlation between the original MP3 and my WAV, due to major differences between the format.

Broadway_MP3.jpg

The original mp3 had a duration of 3min 51sec hence the jerky loop. My testing suggests that the audio length is irrelevant to the maximum duration. Of course, to get a smooth loop it makes sense to produce an audio that loops nicely.

In my case, I did not make the Audio a Looping piece. It was straight 29;20. The Looping was left to the Menu settings. Just a guess here, that the MP3 has too short a Duration, compared to the included MPEG file. Not sure why Adobe chose to do it this way. I did not like the abrupt transition. If Adobe wants, I will "fix it" for them.

Hunt