11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 1:09 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem with menu audio loop

Val8583 Level 1

Tangent to our discussion of How To Change The Duration Of Music On The Menu --

The Machine wins. I have conceded that my audio clip was three seconds too long and edited another clip in Audacity.

There is definitely something WRONG here.

I pared down two audio clips - one 8 seconds, the other 10 seconds.

In Preview mode, either clip plays though once, repeats, but hiccups before it's done, goes back to the beginning, plays though once, hiccups on the second time through etc., etc. Every *other * time the audio plays, it doesn't quite finish before it loops. This is NOT acceptable.

I've only tried this on the Broadway Marquee menu - but if that ONE menu is going to be out of whack, I'll be very upset 'cause it's perfect for my project.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance. Cheers, Val

• 1. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As we said in your other thread, it always helps with the troubleshooting if you try this out on a couple of different menu templates -

- and maybe with more than one audio clip -- to see if you always get the same results or if the results are unique to this particular template/audio clip.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Val,

Take a moment to revisit that older thread. I commented on the Motion aspect, and need you to check that out for me, as I do not have Broadway to check it out for myself. Just a theory, and maybe moot, but it might well impact on this thread too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
              Val8583 Level 1

OK - see reply on the other thread... MPEG is 14 seconds. I'm not messing with that.

I just went back and restored the original "default" (yucky) music to this Broadway Marquee menu. It plays just fine and repeats when/where it should. I saved it and previewed it again. Fine - with the default music.

Now I put my 10 second audio clip in:

(sings)

And soon they'll all know my name

I'll have fortune and fame

When I get my name in lights

It can happen over night

THEN it's supposed to loop, BUT - I get:

It can happen over night

It can happen over night

Every other time, I'm only getting half of the 10 second audio clip. What's up with that?

Tried the same audio clip in two other disc menu templates and it works fine... just not in the one I want to use.

Argh. Frustrating.

• 4. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The one option would be to NOT use the Motion Asset (the lights and limo), and only use the Audio portion. Otherwise, you must match your Audio to the Video for the Motion Menu.

Beyond that, a full-featured authoring program, like Encore, or Sony's DVD Architect will let you do about what you want, but you'll still NOT want your Audio to exceed the Duration of your Video in a Motion Menu - the DVD-specs will not allow that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
                  Val8583 Level 1

So, what all this means is that because it's a Motion Menu, I have to match it with an audio clip that is **exactly** the same length as the video clip, right? That makes sense. They'll both cycle/loop in sync with each other - though that's not really necessary, but it looks like I can't avoid it if that's what it wants to do.

How do I know just how *exact* that is? The "duration" marker (where you change the audio in the Disc Menu tab) says 13.23 seconds. The Video clip says 14 seconds. Do I have any wiggle room here??? I'm familiar with Audacity, but I've never tried to edit things to fractions of a second.

• 6. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Personally, I would create a New Project in PrE, and Import the AV file used in the Menu. Make sure that you choose the correct one. Then, you can Import your Audio file. Place them onto the Timeline. Check the Durations of each. If the Audio is even slightly longer, I'd use Time Stretch on the AV file to extend to one Frame longer than the Audio. If you have a Fade-in/Fade-out, no one will every pick up that 1/30th sec. pause.

If you have to alter the Video, then just Export/Share in the same format, and check Video Only. Use your Exported file, as the Motion Asset.

That is essentially what I do in PrPro, when doing Motion Menus in Encore. I then Export my Audio as an AC3 (I use DD 5.1 SS Audio), that is just a tiny bit shorter. You will want to make sure that your Audio is PCM/WAV. Now, I am usually creating my Motion Assets, but it works the same way.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
                      Val8583 Level 1

I went with a completely different audio clip on the Main Menu - one with laughter/applause head and tail, so the ends would mesh better when it loops. I made it exactly the right length in Audacity and it works just fine. I put the longer audio clip I wanted to use initially on all the Scene Selection pages.

I've burned it to my hard drive and will attempt an actual DVD-R with ImgBurn tomorrow. I'm bleary-eyed and have to get some sleep.

Thank you very much for all your help. Cheers, Val

• 8. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
                        Val8583 Level 1

The real answer here was to just pick an new audio clip and make sure it was exactly the right length to be compatible with the motion clip I'd chosen for my menu. Easy fix. Done. The "light bulb moment" was when I realized that the video and audio loops were tied together and would not function independently of each other. Got it. Won't make that mistake again... until the next time.

• 9. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Val,

Glad that you got the Project done, and thank you for your patience.

In the other thread, I did a test with another Motion Menu (not the Broadway), and successfully increased the Duration of the AV Motion Background to 29;20 from the original 14;29. I then inserted an Audio file of exactly 29;20 and everything worked perfectly. The Menu played for 29;20 w/ the Audio and then they both Looped perfectly together. I am working to get copies of all of the necessary Assets for the Broadway Menu Set (the Standard/4:3) and will test that particular Menu Set, working to get both the AV to just under the 30;00 limit, and then add a new Audio Asset of that length, to see if it can be altered. If it works with other Menu Sets, I would assume that the Broadway Set would function in a similar way, but need to be certain.

Going back a few months, one user had another issue with the Broadway set. IICR, they were unable to make certain changes to the Text and could also not add a Shape (a gold line) to it. Steve Gresetti and I worked with that Menu Set, and everything worked fine for us. Since that is not one of the Assets that my PrE 4 has, I deleted the .PSD's from my computer, after the test. Also, as the Motion aspect was not part of the test, I had neither the Audio, or Video for that Set then. Now, I am trying to get everything for the tests.

I will report exactly what I find, and if successful, everything that I did, so others can benefit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
                            Val8583 Level 1

I will report exactly what I find, and if successful, everything that I did, so others can benefit.

Brilliant. Thanks. It's a bit much for my first ever project (editing a different audio clip to the "required" length was a quick/easy fix for me), but I look forward to your success... so I can use a longer audio clip with that same menu on future projects. Hope it works. Thanks again to everyone who offered assistance - Bill, Steve, neale. Gold Stars all around. You guys are wonderful!

Cheers, Val

P.S. I've got a bit of "tweaking" to do before I make hard copies for friends, so I may get back to you.

• 11. Re: Problem with menu audio loop
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Val,

I updated my testing in the OTHER THREAD, with full details. I was able to use the Broadway Menu Set, Modify its MPEG Video and replace its Audio MP3, with one of my own, at the exact Duration, that I used for the modified MPEG.

It is possible, within the 30;00 limitation for Menu Motion Duration. The caveat would be with the modification of the Background Video. For Broadway, the lights were slower (but smooth), but that was all. Some AV Motion Background files might not look so good with TimeStretch. Now, within the 30;00 Duration, one could do other editing of the Background Video, so TimeStretch is not the only "trick." Other editing manipulation is possible, as well. Just be careful, and study your results closely, or the Menu might look like, well "poop," when you get it all assembled.

I need to send a big shout-out to Steve Grisetti, who got me all the materials that I needed, and so very quickly. This was the second time that we'd worked with Broadway, but the other tests did not involve any of the Motion Assets, just some Text and graphics. He's gonna' grow tired of sending me Broadway Menu pieces!!!!

Good luck,

Hunt