16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 7:03 AM by the_wine_snob

Title Animation

kenorrha18

Hi, I'm new to Premiere Elements, having just bought Version 8. Can anyone please help me with a couple of issues? I would like to import Text as overlay over a slide & then animate it, instead of creating the text in the titler. I can easily place the overlay, but cannot find how to animate. Secondly, if I have to use the titler and use the crawl option, how can i stop the crawl for a couple of seconds & then start it again?

• 1. Re: Title Animation
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do this from Photoshop, and save my Title as a .PSD. This is then Imported into Pre, and place on a higher Video Track.

Now, for animation, you will want to look at Keyframes, and using them for the fixed Effects>Motion>Position, and possibly Motion>Scale. Note: you can also animate other Effects, like Blur, along with the fixed Effects. This is how I do most of my Titles.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Title Animation
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at a "hold" in a Roll that starts off-screen below, and finishes off-screen above. This is from PrPro 2.0, as it is actually closer to PrE 7 & 8, than the example from my PrE 4 is. Things will be slightly different for you, but very similar:

Motion_Keyframes_01.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Title Animation
              kenorrha18 Level 1

Thank you very much, Mr. Hunt, you saved my sanity. As I'm new to Premiere Elements & to the Forum, I don't know how many questions I can ask?

Anyhow, I will try you with this one: I started the Slide Show I'm working on in the Organizer, where I added pan & zoom, adjusted it to my requirements & then continued in the Editor. Now I realize that a couple of the zooms don't fit. Is there a way to adjust the pan & zoom in the Editor?Also, I needed to shuffle a few slides around & now have the problem with an 'invisible' slide where it used to be, interfering with the new slide in its place. The transition (I used the arrow) is moving the 'invisible' slide!

I might stretch your patience, but why can't I break up the slide show in the scene view so that I can add the odd slide?

I would be very grateful if I could get these problems resolved.

Linda

• 4. Re: Title Animation
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you ported the slideshow from the Organizer to Premiere Elements using the Send to Premiere Elements option, the slideshow should show up on your Premiere Elements timeline as a single file.

If it does, you can right-click on it and select Break Apart Slideshow and tweak the transitions and pans and zooms in Premiere Elements.

• 5. Re: Title Animation
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

First, you are most welcome.

Second, you get to ask all the questions that you have - as long as someone here has the answers...

Third, I think that Steve has answered your question, especially the "Break Apart Slideshow." If you need clarification, he's the guy, who can clarify. I do not use the SlideShow function, so I would have been pretty much at a loss here.

Do not hesitate to ask. One thing to think about though is if you question fits under the initial title. If not, do not hesitate to start a new post. One aspect of this forum is getting answers to direct questions. However, there is another aspect, that often gets overlooked. Many users come here, and search down the titles for something that is similar to their problem. Many read all posts that look promising, and quite a few get their problem solved, and there question answered without having to post. It's very common to see new replies to old threads, along the line of "thank you for this thread, as it answered all my questions and solved all of my problems - great forum." Some of these come years after the initial post. This is why we recommend using good titles, which you certainly did. The titles like, "Newbie Needs Help," do not tell any body anything about the problem, or the question.

Do not bother to break this question out. If it was a strong deviation from the original topic, Steve (our tireless MOD) would have done so. Everything is cool -

Again, do not hesitate to ask any question. We enjoy helping others get their Projects finished and their ideas onto video. That is why we all come here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Title Animation
                    kenorrha18 Level 1

Hi Steve, thank you for your answer about editing the pan & zoom, but there is a problem I cannot solve. When I change to Sceneline, all the options in the pull-down menue are grey & cannot be activated, including the  "break apart organizer slideshow" option. Is there a way to get that active, please? Thank you for your wonderful help, without it I would have to give it all away. Linda

• 7. Re: Title Animation
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

You will want to do that in the Timeline View Mode. Now, you can also adjust the Thumbnail View Mode (toggle in the Video Track Header) to show - First Frame, First & Last Frame, All Frames or None. If you set it to First Frame, that will look more like the Sceneline View Mode. You can also increase the vertical zoom on your Video Track, by going to the Video Track Header and hovering over the junction between Video Tracks. When the cursor turns into a double-line with arrows, just click-drag to expand that.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Title Animation
                        kenorrha18 Level 1

Bill,

Thank you for that, but I don't know what to do with it. I cannot find the

toggle you say I should use. I have spent the last 2 hours trying to find it

- most probably I have a fatal case of tunnel vision! Now, what I see as

Video track header has (from the left) Timeline, Sceneline, Selection Tool,

Time Stretch tool, Properties, Smart trim mode and then 3 circles in 3D,

which won't tell me what it is and won't let me click it. I suppose that

should be the toggle? How can I get that to work, please? Or, if I'm totally

wrong with that assumption, could you please help me to find what I need?

Thank you,

Linda

• 9. Re: Title Animation
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

The Video Track View is actually a tiny icon, to the far-left inside the Video Track Header, that block to the left of the Timeline - the one with the "Video 1" name in it. Here is a look at it in PrPro 2.0. It should be in a similar location in PrE 8:

Display Options.jpg

Sorry that I do not have PrE 8 to show exactly how it looks there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Title Animation
                            kenorrha18 Level 1

Bill,

Thank you for that screenshot, now I see what is wrong. I don't have any of

those icons on my display. The eye is missing, not even an empty square,

only video 1 next to an empty track & video 2 where the slide show loaded

when I sent it from Organizer. I also see that down on the bottom there is a

red cross, when I point the mouse on it it says open events viewer, on

opening it there is the line 'display performance will be poor due to

incorrect opera...'

Can you tell me where I got it wrong, please?

Thank you, Linda

• 11. Re: Title Animation
                              nealeh Level 5

In PRE7 you have to click a small icon. Each click cycles through the next style.

video.jpg

This is best done with a large track size.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Title Animation
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thanks for the look at PrE 7. I just do not have that, but it's in the same exact place, as with PrPro. Even the icon is the same, but with the differences in my GUI setup, it "looks" like there are more colors in it, in the PrPro shot.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Title Animation
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

That was a screen-cap from PrPro. The Display icon is the only thing that will be common, though in darker shades of gray, than my Workspace settings in PrPro.

Neale has PrE 7, and has done a screen-cap of the Video Track Header and the Display icon in your exact program. Sorry that I did not have a copy of PrE 7.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Title Animation
                                    nealeh Level 5

Here is the Help file section covering the timeline display modes (go to the bottom of the page):

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/WS73D3EEB8-4BEA-4e96-B629-B238E631CBD7.ht ml#WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7f75

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale
                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Title Animation
                                      kenorrha18 Level 1

Thank you very much, I found it! I actually could remove the pan & zoom. Thanks for helping. Linda

• 16. Re: Title Animation
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Excellent news, Linda!

Happy Editing,

Hunt