1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 6:56 AM by mike613514

pdf files will not open

mike613514

Hi,

I have viewed through this forum and did not find a problem with similar symptoms.

I upgraded from Adobe Reader 8 to Reader 9 and then the .pdf files will not open.

Actions and Observations/Symptoms:

1)  After I clicked onto the pdf document icon - nothing happens.

2)  I right click onto the pdf icon and chose "open with Adobe 9" and get the same response.  Nothing happens.

3)  I go to the the start menu - select Adobe Reader 9 - and the program does not even open.

=======

I have since removed Reader 9 and re-installed Reader 8.  I tried the above actions and got the same behaviour.  Not a whole lot happens.  It seems like something is broken after the first initial upgrade.

In fact - I went to the folder:  

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader  and

tried to open Reader by double clicking onto "AcroRd32.exe" and there was no response.

I'm completely lost!  Can anyone share a fix to my problem?

Thanks,

Mike

Some hardware & OS background info:  Toshiba Laptop - 1.58 Ghz, 3GB RAM - M/S Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

• 1. Re: pdf files will not open
          mike613514 Level 1

I can't explain the cause to the problem - but I found two "work-arounds" to get me running again.

Workaround #1:

I found another program (and there are many) on the web that will also read .pdf files.  I downloaded  "Foxit Reader" , installed it and it works.  I can now view my pdf docs!

However - I got so used to Adobe Reader - I really wanted to get Reader working again.

Workaround #2:

I re-installed Adobe Reader 8.

Instead of running the usual Adobe installation script that I got from the web, I copied (from another PC's C-drive)  the "Reader 8.0" folder and all its contents into my current C- drive directory structure  C:\Program Files\Adobe\.

I re-booted the PC and can now open my pdf files using Reader 8.

It seems to work - but I don't know what the effects of this installation method will have in the future - or the interaction it will have with other programs.  I guess when I need to remove the program in the future  - I'll have to do it manually, since it doesn't even register in the "Add or Remove Programs" under Control Panel.

===============

Hope this helps out anyone else with similar symptoms.

In the original problem, it's unfortunate that there were no error messages whatsoever when I tried opening the pdf files.  It was like as if Reader was not even activated or even loaded on my PC.  I'll bug me for a while - but at least I got Reader working again (for now....)!

Mike