15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 8:51 PM by the_wine_snob

.avi files

HIM_Darling

I just got premiere pro and I was wondering why the only capture formats are DV and HDV? And also when I import an .avi file and play it, it is extremely choppy and almost completely unwatchable, I can't imagine spending even an hour or two to edit it. Is there a fix for this? Thanks for any advice you can give.

I have a PC with Windows Vista Home Premium btw.

I've attached a screenshot of what the video looks like while playing if it helps

• 1. Re: .avi files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For SD, the native format of PrPro is DV-AVI Type II. You do NOT want any other format for SD material, or you WILL have problems.

Now, for your AVI, which is Imported, this ARTICLE will give you some background on the AVI (and others) "wrapper." It will tell you how to "peek" inside that/those file(s).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: .avi files
            HIM_Darling Level 1

Okay so I downloaded Gspot and according to it I already had the correct codecs, so what now? Was that supposed to fix it? Or is there not a fix and premiere is useless to me? I'm super confused.

• 3. Re: .avi files
              shooternz Level 6

Is the footage you are trying to edit a "capture" from a GAME?

• 4. Re: .avi files
                HIM_Darling Level 1

Yes its caputured from The Sims 3, this is the first time I've tried to edit Sims 3 video, when I used to edit Sims 2 video I was using Windows Movie Maker.

• 5. Re: .avi files
                  Level 4

shooternz

That is truly amazing you got that....that its a capture from a game...  furthest thing from my mind...

Rod

• 6. Re: .avi files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

What capture program are you using, FRAPS? There are many posts on FRAPS footage on this forum. You will want to do a Search of this forum for "FRAPS," and read them. Plenty of good tips, and many pit-falls, that can likely be overcome, but that will require reading.

Good luck,

hunt

• 7. Re: .avi files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe post a screen-cap of G-Spot, so we can see the details of that/those AVI(s).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: .avi files
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Is the footage you are trying to edit a "capture" from a GAME?

Craig,

You ARE good. What tipped you off? I'm with Rod, as I would not have guessed this.

Good one! Now if the OP used FRAPS, there are tons of good posts on this forum on how to deal with that footage.

I am in awe - I bow to you, again and again...

Hunt

• 9. Re: .avi files
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

I am with you. I only hope that Craig can tell us what was missed. Gotta' be something in there, unless he's just a great guesser. If so, I want him to give me the next Powerball winners. Should not be too hard, as he's a day ahead of me!

Hunt

• 10. Re: .avi files
                            HIM_Darling Level 1

The Sims games have a built in video/still capture options so I don't know anything about it. Here is a screen of gspot

• 11. Re: .avi files
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, looks like it is Flash in an AVI wrapper.

CS4 has FLV support. Do not know that it can look inside and pick that out. Wonder if a file Rename to FLV would help. If you have a version, prior to CS4, Moyea has a great FLV Importer for Premiere. It only works with versions up to CS3, and not CS4.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - This ARTICLE will give you some general background on CODEC's.

• 12. Re: .avi files
                                HIM_Darling Level 1

I am using CS4

• 13. Re: .avi files
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, CS4 has FLV Import, but yours is in an AVI wrapper. I'd make a Copy of the file, and try a Rename, changing the .AVI to .FLV and attempt to Import that. There could still be issues, due to the wrapper. In the CODEC article, I go into some detail about how they might, or might not work when editing. So very much will depend on how much detective work, PrPro can do.

As an alternate, Moyea also has FLV editors, plus FLV converters. One, or the other, might be of great use here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: .avi files
                                    Level 4

bill,

hehe...Thanks, I needed that laugh...re:

--------------

If so, I want him to give me the next Powerball winners. Should not be  too hard, as he's a day ahead of me!

-------------

a) I looked at the screenshot too and didn't have a clue.

b) being a day ahead also gives him an edge on being the only one talking to the Western Hemisphere who knows what a " snark " is.

Rod

Shooternz

• 15. Re: .avi files
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yeah, I tried to get him to help me out with the winner of the Superbowl, ahead of the game, but he only made a joke about not knowing what a Superbowl was... Craig is a real kidder! But he does know his stuff. Don't let him know though.

Hunt