9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 3:35 AM by Harm Millaard

playing video jumps like its on crack (CS4)

ttoonnyy38

title sais it.

jump jump jump jump jump.

in detail: if i press the play button, video skips half a second then plays backwards juttering for a few frames for .2 of a second, pauses for .3 of a second, and repeats. audio is unaffected.

im working with targa sequences, but i expect this volatile software will do the same with anything as ive had problems with the play function on many computers.

the worst of which being in a room of 20 identical computers, on half of them, be it AVIs, WMVs, or Targas, the play button wud simply do: jack. also need a solution to that. cheers

• 1. Re: playing video jumps like its on crack (CS4)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 2. Re: playing video jumps like its on crack (CS4)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Having Hardware Acceleration improperly set can cause similar. So can improperly set OpenGL.

Another cause can be the video drivers. Just a simple little OS hot-fix can render a video driver (or audio driver) instantly obsolete. The default is for the OS to automatically update, so the user might be totally unaware that such has even taken place. I would definitely get the VERY latest video driver from the card/chip mfgr's. Web site and install.

In a room with 20 computers, it is highly likely that there are differences in things like Windows auto update, and differences in the version of the video drivers. Also, check that all have the same Hardware Acceleration settings. If min, test on max. If max, test on min. If you get improvement, then increment, until the problem returns and dial back one notch.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: playing video jumps like its on crack (CS4)
              ttoonnyy38 Level 1

Ok, so I'm on XP, it's not updated once, it doesn't have a net connection. It has the latest drivers for all hardware, and is running an AMD Athlon 64 bit Duel Core at 3800mhz, has  4 gig of RAM, and uses a n Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT. I've rebooted, I've optimised the performance of the graphics card, I've closed all irellevant apps via Task Manager, and still, it will not work. I know it's not a performance issue stopping it from playing video if it can play animation in Maya.

My project settings are everything at default except that I set it to 25fps, turned fields off, and chose DV Pal Widescreen, or if thats sequence settings specific, then well.. I didn't change anything else.

I can't DXDIAG.

MSINFO would only let me save as .txt or .xml: www.tsart.co.uk/MSINFO32.txt

Umm the Speedfan thing, well there's no problems with temperatures in my computer whatsoever, if anything I have too many fans in and around it (and just the right amount of that paste on the proccessor, as I had issues with that before). Trust me, there are no performance or cooling issues here.

As for the room of computers, I know they have identical hardware, identical drivers, and were set up in batch to defaults so I'd assume they are all set up identically. On half of them the play button does nothing from the start, the other half, it may work at first, but may decide to cease doing anything after 10 minutes of editing, as also sometimes happens in reverse with the ones that usually don't function

Thanks for your time

• 4. Re: playing video jumps like its on crack (CS4)
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I can't DXDIAG.

To me, this would be a major red flag, that the OS is having major issues. Those might, or might not be part of the problem, but with this response, I would be looking much deeper for problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: playing video jumps like its on crack (CS4)
                  ttoonnyy38 Level 1

I can't DXDIAG because it requires an internet connection.

• 6. Re: playing video jumps like its on crack (CS4)
                    ttoonnyy38 Level 1

erm ok my dumb.. the first time i tried to DXDIAG, it said it wanted to use an internet connection to do it.. so proceeding to try to do the MSINFO32 thing, i must have pressed the up arrow before enter by mistake, upon which DXDIAG opened instead of asking me for an internet connection this time, n it being different i thought that was the MSINFO32 thing. so the file linked above is my DXDIAG. My MSINFO is at www.tsart.co.uk/MSINFO32.nfo

• 7. Re: playing video jumps like its on crack (CS4)
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Start by updating XP to SP3. Download on another computer the necessary files copy those to a CD and run that on your video PC.

Then look at the Wiki link again.

• 8. Re: playing video jumps like its on crack (CS4)
                        ttoonnyy38 Level 1

what...??????

half of that sounds completely pointless, as for the first half, are u saying that adobe premiere pro cs4 simply does not run properly on windows xp if you dont have it updated to service pack 3?

• 9. Re: playing video jumps like its on crack (CS4)
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

SP's add functionality, increase stability and performance, correct bugs, improve security and application support. Who does not want that?

Look at the minimum requirements: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

SP2 is required, SP3 recommended.