1 2 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 1:18 AM by Layne Batt Branched to a new discussion.

Please fix exporting for CS5!...

MonkeyRei Level 1

I know this isn't the feature request area - I've already sent adobe my letter.

But 100 requests are better than one!

I'm sure we're all experiencing this major problem - that it takes *forever* to export anything, and longer than that when exporting from large projects. Even if you only want to export a 2 minute scene from a 30 minute feature, if your project is large (i.e. anything over 5 minutes long, god forbid multiple sequences) then you can and usually do end up waiting between 30 minutes and and hour(!!) while AME is 'loading' your project. This is a ridiculous waste of time and resources, since more often than not the project you're exporting from is already open and in system memory. And you're not inclined to continue working for fear it would slow AME even further. This double up process - while I see it's point - makes Premiere Pro completely useless in any high pressure situation, where you need to churn out a piece of video as soon as someone asks for it. I've lost clients and damaged working relationships purely because I chose to use Premiere, and have now invested so many thousands of $$$ in Adobe that other software is not something I'd like to face, especially when Premiere is SOOO close to being good.

Is anyone else completely and UTTERLY fed up with this exporting debacle? If so, please let Adobe know before they release CS5, which according to the internet will probably be in a couple of months...still time to fix this!

AND... another thing... the autosave window - that really should be a *background* operation, no?? It's painfully frustrating when you're watching an edit with a client, and ten minutes in the autosave window comes up and STOPS the playback. This ruins the moment and can COMPLETELY RUIN the scene on first viewing for an audience or client. Yes, one could go to the trouble to enter prefs and turn AS off just for that moment, but I don't do that fro fear of not remembering to turn it on and be faced with a lovely apologetic message saying for some unknown reason the software must terminate immediately... you know the ones...

Please feel free to report here other sticky issues wih premiere that prevent smooth workflow efficiency (and then send request to adobe). I'm sure Adobe would love to hear it!

• 1. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

I agree.

For now: Make sure you have the latest patches ; as one of the patches improved the load time of projects sigificantly; which helps that exporting problems a bit.

Take a look at this "Sneak Peak" video around 13:30 closely.

http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/11/technology_sneek_peek_adobe_me.html#more

Its a "future version" of Pr.  It might encourage you.

• 2. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
            MonkeyRei Level 1

Wow, that does look good - it looks like they've done away with AME and it's back to good ol' exporting from withing premiere. I hope!

The speed of that export in the video was- I think - due to the use of a pretty high end quadro FX card with the enhanced mecury engine. Pity it'll cost so much - maybe that will come within reach someday

Thanks for the link!

• 3. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Right now the lowest end CUDA card Adobe has advertised to support acceleration with the Mercury Engine is the GTX 285 which can be had for about $300.   Of course; the supported cards could change by the time this future version is actually released.

And if you look closely at that screen cap; the AME screen has two export options; Export and Queue.

• 4. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                kelli_byers Level 1

Hi. What are those patches?

Count me as another encountering ridiculously long "Loading" times for the Encoder.

I am running Windows XP using Premiere Pro CS4. The Task Manager shows the file processing, but the AME is "Not Responding."

The file will eventually convert, but it takes up to 8 hours for a ten-minute SD F4V to Mpeg-2 export.

Are there any known common fixes? These slow processing times are a serious problem.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Rendering times depends on the system capabilities. On my system a HDV source timeline of 40 minutes exports in around 12 minutes to a MPEG2-I frame @ 120 Mbps CBR with 5.1 AC3 audio @ 448 Kbps. That does not really bother me.

• 6. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                    MonkeyRei Level 1

Curt - Cool, I thought the ME would only be available on quadro cards - nice that they've included a lower end card (and perhaps more coming?). I hope the performance increases they're showing actually translate to real world users, and I guess we won't know that until we try it ourselves...

Regarding the patches, I checked to make sure I was up to date, and yeah, 4.2.1 seems to be the latest. Still the export takes waay too long. Wonder what they fixed there...

Harm - man I'd be happy if 12 min was my average for exporting a 40 minute clip. Is this with any colour correction, titles, effects? Also - do you habitually turn off 'frame blending' on each clip? My system seems reasonable - quad core, 64bit, 8gig ram, but my render times would be a bit longer than that. However the main issue we're talking about isn't the actual render time, more the 'loading' time before rendering begins... but these sneak peaks at the future release look very promising. Lets hope it's released soon!

• 7. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

This is with a lot of titles, some effects and transitions, but no color correction and using maximum render quality. Nothing done about frame blending, just the default. I haven't really timed the start-up duration, but it does take relatively long IMO, but then what is relatively? The whole intent of the new AME was background encoding so you could continue with your foreground process.

• 8. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                        tclark513 Level 3

froppy wrote:

Curt - Cool, I thought the ME would only be available on quadro cards - nice that they've included a lower end card (and perhaps more coming?). I hope the performance increases they're showing actually translate to real world users, and I guess we won't know that until we try it ourselves...

Regarding the patches, I checked to make sure I was up to date, and yeah, 4.2.1 seems to be the latest. Still the export takes waay too long. Wonder what they fixed there...

Harm - man I'd be happy if 12 min was my average for exporting a 40 minute clip. Is this with any colour correction, titles, effects? Also - do you habitually turn off 'frame blending' on each clip? My system seems reasonable - quad core, 64bit, 8gig ram, but my render times would be a bit longer than that. However the main issue we're talking about isn't the actual render time, more the 'loading' time before rendering begins... but these sneak peaks at the future release look very promising. Lets hope it's released soon!

Have you turned off the preview option in AME?  It does make a difference.

• 9. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                          kelli_byers Level 1

How do you turn off that preview?

Again, the actual encoding time is not the major issue for me - it's the loading time.

The 10-minute clip I encoded last night took 12 minutes to encode, which was fantastic.

But it took NINE HOURS to load that file before encoding, and that is unacceptable to me.

I'm wondering if there is another encoder I can purchase to export files from Premiere Pro CS4.

Adobe Media Encoder does the job, but does it so slowly that I have to consider it a failure and cannot recommend it to anybody, which is a shame as I really like Premiere and the rest of the Adobe CS4 platform.

• 10. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                            tclark513 Level 3

The option is in the Preferences for AME.

• 11. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                              kelli_byers Level 1

Are the Preferences in the "Settings" tab in AME?

(Sorry, I have been trying to encode a 5-min file and it has been loading for 5 hours this morning, and I won't be touching anything there until it's completed for fear of wasting all that time. I really, really, really despise this encoder.)

• 12. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                tclark513 Level 3

When you load the AME it's in the menus at the top.

Your results are definitly not the norm...

• 13. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

kelli_byers wrote:

(Sorry, I have been trying to encode a 5-min file and it has been loading for 5 hours this morning, and I won't be touching anything there until it's completed for fear of wasting all that time. I really, really, really despise this encoder.)

How long does it take to load your project when you start premiere and choose to open the project?

• 14. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                    jpw21683 Level 1
                                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

kelli_byers wrote:

Wow.  Something's definitely wrong...but it sounds like something with your system, not AME.

I recently rendered out a 5.5min HD timeline (with HDV and AVCHD footage), and within 2-3 minutes of starting the queue in AME the project was loaded and rendering.

What are your system specs?  What format is your footage in and what are you exporting to?

• 15. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                      MonkeyRei Level 1

In regards to the preview option in AME, yes it helps but for me it didn't make much difference at all. Also ensuring you use the preview files for rendering saves a bunch of time, but again this is the render time, not the loading time sadly.

• 16. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                        MonkeyRei Level 1

kelli_byers wrote:

How do you turn off that preview?

Again, the actual encoding time is not the major issue for me - it's the loading time.

The 10-minute clip I encoded last night took 12 minutes to encode, which was fantastic.

But it took NINE HOURS to load that file before encoding, and that is unacceptable to me.

I'm wondering if there is another encoder I can purchase to export files from Premiere Pro CS4.

Adobe Media Encoder does the job, but does it so slowly that I have to consider it a failure and cannot recommend it to anybody, which is a shame as I really like Premiere and the rest of the Adobe CS4 platform.

WOW - now that's what I'm talking about! I don't think I've reached that long before, but I'm not at all surprised. Exporting from Premiere should be a new olympic endurance sport! Not a great for spectators though I guess...

You can really go through all the system updates, optimizations, streamlining etc and that helps, but there are still major fundemental problems with the mechanism. Kelli - I'm guessing your system is fine and up to date, as is mine.

What I really noticed was that the bulk of the project has a lot to do with it. If you import many clips, even if they're not used, it adds time. If you have more than one sequence, it adds time. If you have long sequence, it adds time. The only workaround I could find when working in a studio time based situation was to only import the essential files, then delete anything at all you're not using - regularly, and keep your projects small. If you need different scenes, sequences, use different projects. It's like working back in 1996, but that's how it is sadly...

• 17. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                          shooternz Level 6

I have read this thread but I have to state...I have absolutely no issues at all with the amount of time it takes to load my project from the timeline thru to AME Settings Window and then to the Queue Window.  (Seconds)

The renders from there are very quick / fast. (Minutes)

My hardware is certainly not "state of the art" but it is doing the business

• 18. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                            MonkeyRei Level 1

that's terrific shooternz, could you explain a bit about the nature of these projects and some specs about your machine? ie...

• How many clips imported in the project?
                                            • Average length/size of the these clips?
                                            • Number of sequences in the project?
                                            • Length of the sequences?
                                            • Format of the source clips (HD, DV, HDV etc)?
                                            • Destination/export format?
                                            • Exporting the whole sequence or just a small portion?
                                            • How big is your project file size (in MB)?
                                            • Some system specs (cpu, video, ram, hdd, OS)?

Sorry for all these questions, but it could really help. Thanks! I would love to get to the bottom of this if it's possible...

• 19. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                              shooternz Level 6

Happy to supply details.

• How many clips imported in the project?   100 - 300  Average length/size of the these clips? 10 - 60 secs
                                              • Number of sequences in the project?  3 - 8
                                              • Length of the sequences?  15 - 60 secs (TVCs) and 3 - 10 minutes for other work
                                              • Format of the source clips (HD, DV, HDV etc)? usually P2 mxf 720p mixed with .mov, avi +psd, bmp,tga
                                              • Destination/export format? Broadcast avi / mov , flv, wmv, mpeg (FHA anamorphic)
                                              • Exporting the whole sequence or just a small portion? Usually exporting Work area bars
                                              • How big is your project file size (in MB)? I will find this detail when I get near my machine (tomorrow) I never ever look at it!
                                              • Some system specs (cpu, video, ram, hdd, OS)? I will fill in this deatil when I get near my machine (tomorrow)
                                              • 20. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

froppy wrote:

that's terrific shooternz, could you explain a bit about the nature of these projects and some specs about your machine? ie...

Sorry for all these questions, but it could really help. Thanks! I would love to get to the bottom of this if it's possible...

It would really help if you answered those same questions on your project.  And how specifically your drives are configured.

• 21. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                                  MonkeyRei Level 1

Sorry for the delay - I opened up the last decent sized project I had and ran some more tests. Actually I haven't taken any editing jobs since then 'cause it's always too painful...

In the final version, around 200

they range from 20sec to 20minutes (lots of doco footage)

sequences and scenes kept building, in the end around 30

the shortest around 20sec, the main programme (couple of versions) 45min, most seq's at DV-PAL resolution.

Mostly HDV PAL, some After Effects pre-renders at DV-PAL res, to limit the amount of work Premiere had to do with them

Exporting as Mpeg2-DVD Pal

For this test a 10 second section of the 45 min sequence, an area of only 2 layers and minimal processing.

20MB

Quad 9550, 8gig ram, Vista Ult 64bit, Quadro580, all SataII drives, mounted internally for video work (ext USB drives for storage and backup)

All adobe caches held on the video drives, no conforming or indexing occuring when editing/exporting.

For all this, the 10 second clip took 7 minutes between hitting "Start Queue" in AME to the yellow render bar appearing, then about 20 seconds to actually render it. I repeated this 3 times with similar results from different areas of the timeline.

THEN... I deleted *all* sequences from the project, saved it, closed premiere. Re-opened, created a new seq same settings as before, placed one clip in it - 10 second duration. The project still had around 200 items/clips.

This took about 4 minutes to actually begin rendering, then about 15 seconds to render.

And yet there's more.... Then I deleted most clips and Items from the project, leaving only 50 hdv clips. Saved, closed, then re-opened. The exact same render as above then took 19 seconds to begin rendering, and about 15 seconds to render.

Interesting huh? Which again leads me back to thinking it's 'large' projects that are unworkable in Premiere...

• 22. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                                    Powered by Design Level 4

Those times are so bad.

My system scored second to last on Bills CS4 Benchmark test.

http://ppbm4.com/Benchmark.html

Take the test and see how good your system is.

http://ppbm4.com/

And even when I load my large project with about 40-70 4:00 clips it loads fine.

It only take a minute or two to load AME when exporting a clip within it ( about 4:00 long each )

Just curious does everyone have INDEXING turned OFF on all their Hard Drives ?  Something is not letting AME load right.

Maybe to many processes running.

Bill had an ARTICLE that might help.

Anything that could speed things up would be great.

ENjoy:  GLenn

• 23. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                                      jpw21683 Level 1
                                                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

froppy wrote:

The only workaround I could find when working in a studio time based situation was to only import the essential files, then delete anything at all you're not using - regularly, and keep your projects small.

Wow.  I have projects with lots of clips, but usually only 3-4 timelines.

Regarding your comment above, about removing unused assets, there's a new command in PPro CS4 to do this easily: Project-->Remove Unused.  Project-->Project Manager gives you more control over this process.

• 24. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Gents,

Let me give some of my results, to show that all this is highly dependent on system configuration, but keep in mind that this is with 10 tabs in Mozilla open and having several processes in the background like Skype, Perfect Speed, SnagIt, etc.

• How many clips imported in the project? 300+
                                                        • Average  length/size of the these clips? Between 3 s and 2:12, average around 6 s
                                                        • Number of sequences in the  project? 1
                                                        • Length of the sequences? 37:00
                                                        • Format of the source  clips (HD, DV, HDV etc)? HDV
                                                        • Destination/export format? MPEG2-DVD CBR @ 8Mbps and AC3 5.1 @ 448 Kbps
                                                        • Exporting  the whole sequence or just a small portion? Whole sequence
                                                        • How big is your  project file size (in MB)? 5.5
                                                        • Some system specs (cpu, video, ram,  hdd, OS)? See PPBM4

Project loading time: around 17 secs.

Wait for AME after pressing Start queue to start: less than 10 secs.

Encoding time: less than 12 minutes.

Notes: No color correction, several WAV files and a number of BMP's and titles, dissolves and dip-to-black transitions.

Around the same time when exporting to MPEG-I @ 120 Mbps and AC3 5.1 @ 448 Kbps CBR at Maximum Render Quality.

Use these figures only as indicativve, for valuable comparisons, use the PPBM benchmark that Glenn pointed you to.

• 25. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                                          kelli_byers Level 1

I created some other files yesterday. I made a 5 minute F4V & Mpeg-2 at exactly the same dimensions and export specs as my "problem files" and the conversions were done in less than ten minutes apiece -- that's encoding *and* loading. There were seven sequences in that five-min project.

Then I went back to my other F4Vs - each is 10:30 mins long, and re-attempted encoding. Each clip is one F4V -- created in Premiere Pro using the same Adobe Media Encoder -- the only additional info being the soundtrack added and a few title cards.

The same massive delays loading the files into AME repeated.

It must be the large files. My PC:

Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU

2.80 GHz, 3.25 GB RAM

400 GB available free space on harddrive.

I was on the phone to Adobe tech support for three hours yesterday. They went through my system with me, made me run a few tests, then had me download their eftp and zip-compress one of the "problem files" and uploaded to their server. It was 361 MB (uncompressed). They said they would analyze and call me back in 60-90 minutes. That was 21 hours ago. I'm still awaiting their call.

I tried exporting again overnight. The one ten minute clip eventually loaded, but took 11 hours, then rendered.

Looking at my Task Manager, it seems that the AME hits 50% CPU and then starts crawling. The status goes from "Running" to "Not Responding" when it hits 50 CPU. Then it will process in 12 KB increments, going from approx 180,000 KB in the MEM USAGE until it hits 450,000 KB, when the file is loaded, then encoding begins and I see the CPU hitting 90-100%.

On the bright side of things, it is kinda working, albeit incredibly slowly.

On the not-so-bright side of things, this loading delay is making my schedule impossible.

• 26. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                                            kelli_byers Level 1

PBD wrote:

Just curious does everyone have INDEXING turned OFF on all their Hard Drives ?  Something is not letting AME load right.

Bill had an ARTICLE that might help.

How do I turn off Indexing? I will check.

Also, that link to Bill's article didn't work for me.

Many thanks.

• 27. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                                              Curt Wrigley Level 4

You are sure you are on 4.2.1?    One of the updates improved project load time sigificantly.  Your load time ti way longer than normal.

Can I guess that it take a while to load a project when you start premiere also?

• 28. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...
                                                                kelli_byers Level 1

Yes, running 4.2.1.

Premiere Pro loads the project file in 20-40 seconds.

• 29. Re: Please fix exporting for CS5!...