8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 4:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Sound All Pink Noise

fincaman2 Level 1

Hello All, I recently started a new project in PP 4 when I imported the file into timeline the sound only played for a few seconds then I got pink noise at full volume you can see this in the sound waveform. The original file plays fine in windows (from JVC GY-HM100), I then checked previous projects and they are all the same. Since I last used PP I got an auto update can this have affected it ?

• 1. Re: Sound All Pink Noise
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I would check would be your audio driver. Get the very latest from the card/chip mfgr's. Web site. Even a simple little OS hot-fix can render an audio driver (or video driver) instantly obsolete.

Next, run one of your files through G-Spot and let us know the specs., especially the Audio.

Last check your Edit>Preferences>Audio and Audio Hardware settings. It could well be that an update to PrPro altered those to some default, from your custom settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Sound All Pink Noise
            fincaman2 Level 1

Hello Again, my sound card is an M-Audio fastrack ultra studio quality fully updated I have looked at the preferences they seem fine I have attached a screen shot of gspot.Can I remind you that the files play fine using the JVC player in windows but as soon as they are imported into timeline can be clearly seen to be mostly pink noise at full volume with bits of normal sound. Older projects that were fine before now exibit this problem.

• 3. Re: Sound All Pink Noise
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, M-Audio is a highly respected brand, and the only thought that I have for why things work one day, but not the next is drivers and OS updates.

It won't cost you anything, but a tiny bit of time, but download the free ASIO4ALL driver, and install that. In PrPro, go to Audio Hardware>ASIO Settings and choose it from the drop-downs for Output and Input. This has solved a ton of issues for people using embedded chips to some full-Pro esoteric gear. It helped me with my DD 5.1 SS audio setup, when other things failed. If things work fine with it, remember to set it for all ASIO devices, in other programs, that exhibit similar problems.

Please report you success, and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Sound All Pink Noise
                fincaman2 Level 1

I am familiar with ASIO4ALL and will try it, I have attached a screenshot of a previously good project, you can clearly see that the sound is not right.

Regards

Kevin

• 5. Re: Sound All Pink Noise
                  fincaman2 Level 1

Well I am in a mess I have tried ASIO4ALL no change,I have uninstalled PP4 and reinstalled it no change,I have uninstalled the driver for my soundcard and reinstalled it no change. Any Ideas anyone

Regards

Kevin

• 6. Re: Sound All Pink Noise
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Kevin,

I can see that the audio looks wonky, and must sound horrible!

I wish that I did have some other ideas, but am empty-handed now - the "trick bag" is empty.

I hope that someone else can offer a worthwhile idea, and good luck. Sorry that I could not come up with something else for you.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Sound All Pink Noise
                      fincaman2 Level 1

I seemed to have cured my problem but I don't know how,I have done all sorts changing the files to mpg with media encoder then re importing no change the first time but worked the second,I won't go into everything but if you mess around long enough the project will come back to normal but there is no pattern. At least new projects now seem to work OK It is my opinion that there is definitely a bug in PP CS4.

Regards and thanks for your help

Kevin

• 8. Re: Sound All Pink Noise
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I seemed to have cured my problem but I don't know how

You are a real hearbreaker!!!!

Well, the good news is that things are now working, and you do not have to listen to that noise.

If you do discover the culprit, please stop back by and update the thread - inquiring [SIC] minds want to know.

Good luck,

Hunt