4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 12:02 AM by lostevelyn

Eraser tool erase stuff on all layers....

lostevelyn

In the previous version, the eraser tool only erase things on the single current active layer,

but then in CS4 (maybe it's just my problem),

the eraser tool simply erase everything on the stage, no matter which layer they are in,

except in locked layer.

Is it a bug for cs4 or hv I set something wrong or what?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Eraser tool erase stuff on all layers....
          waterdad568 Level 3

Have you tried locking all layers first and only unlocking and selecting objects on unlocked layers before erasing. And or going into the objects own timeline to erase? Are your objects on seperate layers to begin with?

• 2. Re: Eraser tool erase stuff on all layers....
            lostevelyn Level 1

yes of course it works.

But then it should only erase only the single layer that I am drawing on, at least it is what it does in the previous version. So i guess that i have some settings problems, or is it just bug...?

and yes they are of course in different layers...and no, seperate timeline won't help

• 3. Re: Eraser tool erase stuff on all layers....
              waterdad568 Level 3

I have experienced what you are describing before, when for example I have an object image that I have broken apart and used the magic wand tool to remove backgrounds, then using the eraser tool, cleaning up remnant artifacts. However once you have completed the erase and deselected the object, the other locked layers and other objects reappear. So you are not actually erasing other objects, it is just the way it is rendered in the display. So I guess you could call it a bug.

• 4. Re: Eraser tool erase stuff on all layers....
                lostevelyn Level 1

Well, maybe I haven't expalined it clearly...

what I mean is,

IF I have things on 3 different layer, A, B and C,

when I try to use eraser tool to erase things on layer A,

it erases things on all 3 layers whereever the tool is applied.

in previous version, if I am drawing on layer A, (i.e. layer A is active, selected, whatever)

it would only erase things on layer A

so now if i have to erase things on layer A alone,

I'll have to lock layer B & C to do so.

Is it a bug or do I get any settings wrong? or i just remeber it wrongly that is all the previous version of flash still erase everything on every layers?