4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 7:56 AM by Bernd Alheit

Hyperlink Zoom

Shaun_Poland

Is there a way to change the zoom level of a hyperlink to a text anchor in a PDF?

I want to start out with a two page spread and have the hyperlink lead to specific text on another page at 150% zoom (or similar). I know that PDF supports this funcionality because we used to to it with Pagemaker. I can't find a way to do it in InDesign so I thought it might have to be done in Acrobat after we export to PDF.

We have thousands of hyperlinks to change so I thought a simple script would work.

Shaun Poland

• 1. Re: Hyperlink Zoom
          Shaun_Poland Level 1

I have opened up two PDFs in Acrobat to take a look at the Actions associated with the links. The first is exported from InDesign, which does not work the way I want it to. Here is a screenshot:

Nonworking.jpg

I then opened up a PDF exported from Pagemaker which works the way I want it to. Here's another Screenshot:

Working.jpg

In the Actions window for each link in the InDesign PDF it just goes straight to the destination point. In the Pagemaker PDF it uses a method as if you had used "Go To A Page View", changed the zoom setting while positioning the screen at the destination, and then hitting "Set Link".

Is there any way to script changing each link like this? It would take a link source then change the zoom to 150%, go to the link's destination, and then change the destination to the current view.

I might have to get someone outside of the company to work on this but I don't know where to go for this type of work. If you can't help with my problem specifically, can you at least offer a suggestion about good places to go for scripting work?

Thanks,

Shaun Poland

NOTE: Acrobat 8 Pro on Windows XP.

• 2. Re: Hyperlink Zoom
            Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is there any way to script changing each link like this?

Not possible with Acrobat Javascript. But you can write a plug-in for this.

• 3. Re: Hyperlink Zoom
              Shaun_Poland Level 1

Which part of it is not possible?

I have been working on a script, but I have a problem. How do I get the name of a link's destination? I have used this.getLinks() to get the links on the current page but how do I get the destination for each of those links? I need to feed the destination into setAction("this.gotoNamedDest(Destination)") in order to do the link in javascript. Any ideas? or is this the impossible part?

• 4. Re: Hyperlink Zoom
                Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have used this.getLinks() to get the links on the current page but how do I get the destination for each of those links?

Not possible with Adobe Acrobat Javascript.