19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 5:15 PM by the_wine_snob

rendering output stuck at 720x576

ttoonnyy38

I have an image sequence to be played at 25fps, the resolution is 1280x720, and I want to render it out to be played on a widescreen projector. I've had many issues with the aspect ratio allready and figured out to use square pixels eventually, and now I'm at a loss for how to render it out at that resolution. Every combination of settings I try tells me the output file will be 720x576. Surely thats not HD now is it? :| I'm kind of new to the whole aspect ratio and resolutions of the current media, and its bugging the hell outta me, if someone could give me a short explanation and tell me how to render this out properly, it would be muchly appreciated. Thank you

• 1. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
          ttoonnyy38 Level 1

Oh and im in Premiere Pro CS4.

Also, should I have rendered out my image sequence at such a resolution that it would become a 16x9 aspect ratio once changed to rectangular pixels?? And if so, what resolution should I have used? I'm using Targa sequences from Maya.

• 2. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
            shooternz Level 6

For a start: Question time....

What file type are you trying to encode to?  (The real question is what do you need to play out on an HD Projector)

What file types are you encoding from?  ie. what is in the timeline /sequence?  (tgas in what sequence setting)

Can you change the Encode preset (Video Setting Tab) to match your Source ( which is the timeline)

Note: Apart from DV (PAL/NTSC)  I think all the others can have their settings / dimensions etc changed.

• 3. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
              ttoonnyy38 Level 1

I'm rendering a Targa sequence out to an AVI, assuming thats correct for what to burn to a proffessionally made DVD (the AVI part, Targas is because thats how I render from Maya)

The whole things only 27 seconds long, and is designed to be played on a loop on a projector screen.

I was taught to use DV Pal.. thats obviously causing me problems now, I see what you mean that it's limited to one resolution and others aren't.

What codec would you reccomend using? DivX 6.8.5..?

• 4. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                shooternz Level 6

mpeg would be fine.

Stay away from DIVx

I would add.  Its is no problem making an avi or a mov in the dimensions (rez) you require but what you need is something that you can play into your display device (an HD Projector form a laptop assumeably). Therfore mpeg is my recommendation.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                  ttoonnyy38 Level 1

thanks, but i need to make it a proffessional dvd in HD. Surely HD does not use mpegs??

If I render in DivX, will the burnt dvd not play properly on some dvd players? I'm at a loss for what to do here.

All I know is: i want make HD!!111. Plz how? Dont make me talk more noob!!! hehe

So I'm gonna test out DivX, to be going on with anyway. Thanks for your input guys if anyone can give me some solid info though it would be great. I've been on google all day with this and its not helping the slightest.

• 6. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                    shooternz Level 6

Divx is not a format for DVD

DVDs are MPEGs

The process is encode an MPEG and burn it using Encore

Unless you are planning to use Blu-Ray.  Your MPEG from your HD source will be SD in a 16:9 format.  Thats as good as it gets.

• 7. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                      ttoonnyy38 Level 1

ah thanks!

n wow i still find it difficult to accept the idea that "high definition" uses the video version of jpegs.. i guess its not what it sais on the tin hey?

lolz.

so my input as square pixels is 16:9, I have the footage interpreted as square pixels, and am rendering out as square pixels, is this correct too? is it normal to use recangular pixels for an input or output for HD DVDs?

just trying to learn all i can about this so i dont look so dumb infront of employers in future lol

cheers guys!

• 8. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                        shooternz Level 6

Many of us have been where you are at now...

Encoding and burning DVDs etc is complicated. Its all a bit daunting and a lot "trial and error" to start with.

I suggest you sit down and burn a DVD from what you have in the timeline.  (mpeg DVD) Start from there and learn as you go.

Hint: Start a little test project ( 1 - 2  minutes ) so the tests are quicker.

Tip: when encoding...check that the SOURCE  and the OUTPUTs look as you wish before you encode. Use the Tabs in the Encoder.  This is your chance to  ensure it looks right before encoding. If not change the settings.  (experiment)

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                          ttoonnyy38 Level 1

thank you all, its become a lot clearer to me now

one thing i do need to know tho.. what is th correct codec to use to render out as an mpg? (lol at my stupidity )

• 10. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                            Matt Petersen Level 3

with file-based output, the choices are virtually endless.

with disk-based output however things are a little more solid, due to the need for disks to work with their respective hardware players.

so, a machine-playable DVD is a fixed resolution, bitrate etc.

Now, in HD, your choices are: AVCHD (which can actually burn to a STANDARD DVD disk), Blu Ray, and HD DVD. So if you are STUCK with disk-based output, take your pick from those!

the question, I guess (and I think this is what shooternz was trying to get at) is HOW are you going to get that vision to your HD projector. If you're just going to hook up a laptop to the projector, then choose the best file quality your lappy will playback without choking. if you need a "player" solution, then you're back to AVCHD, BluRay, and HD-DVD. For the latter two, cheap solutions would be a PS3 and an X-Box 360 respectively!

does that help or hinder?

MP

• 11. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                              shooternz Level 6

mpeg2 (DVD)

• 12. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                                ttoonnyy38 Level 1

err actually this ones a real problem.. it doesnt seem to have an mpeg encoder..

can i just download any random one? will this cause issues with certain dvd players?

• 13. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                                  shooternz Level 6

What doesnt have an MPEG encoder?

What version of Premiere are you using?

• 14. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                                    ttoonnyy38 Level 1

premiere cs4 didnt come with one that i can tell.. theres like 10 codecs but i cant tell that any of them r mpeg, they all random wierd names

• 15. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                                      Matt Petersen Level 3

OK, careful you're not confusing CODECS with Project Presets. Project Presets are linked to camera formats and are things like DV PAL, HDV, XDCAM, AVCHD.

You won't see MPEG in the list of Project Presets when you first startup your editing session. But you can certainly choose a range of MPEG codecs (MPEG-2, MPEG-4) when you export your piece with the Adobe Media Encoder when you've finished editing.

MP

• 16. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                                        ttoonnyy38 Level 1

No, I need to know what codec is an mpeg.

My choice is Cinepak by Radius, DivX, DV, DV NTSC, DV PAL, Indeo video, Intel Indeo Video R3.2, Intel Indeo Video 4.5, Intel IYUV, Microsoft RLE, Microsoft Video 1, Uncompressed UYVY, V210 10 bit YUV, and None.

• 17. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Trial version? The trial does not handle anything MPEG. You need the full version for that.

• 18. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                                            Matt Petersen Level 3

OP, the options you state are all sub-options of MS DV AVI, and aren't related to MPEG's.

As Harm points out, if you're on the Trial, exporting to MPEG won't be an option (it would usually appear in the same list as MS DV AVI, but further down).

If you have a completed project and just need to get an MPEG out of it somehow, just export the best file type that you can using the AME, then transcode that file later in something like Super, or your favourite file converter.

MP

• 19. Re: rendering output stuck at 720x576
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

For HD, i.e. BD, you can use either H.264 or HD MPEG. Both are accepted. Some like H.264, while others choose the MPEG Transcoding. It does seem that more folk have issues with H.264, but when it works fine, many feel that the result is superior.

I also strongly second - stay far from DivX, unless you are only delivering highly-compressed streaming media - not either DVD-Video, or BD.

Good luck,

Hunt