1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 4:40 AM by Zabeth69

Business Advice.

Charles Bannister Level 2

Now I use the word business lightly here.

While at uni I'm going to start designing and selling websites and am just about to start designing my very own website for people to view my portfolio etc.

The question is:
      Do I make my website look very professional, give it a name like Bespoke Web Design (Well that will be taken but you know...) and make it look like I have 7 offices and an assistant just by looking at my website.

OR

Shall I play the student card.
      Have more of a casual website explaining I'm a talented student looking to pay my way through uni so can pass the costs on etc etc.

Now this is a very big question because it will depend on how I run everything. I'm also thinking of maybe getting some flyers posted and business cards made, the way these are made will depend on this aswell... but marketing is one for another day.

As another note I'm also open to fixing computers, designing leaflets etc but maybe this is just worth mentioning through word of mouth rather than on the website.

Just wondering if you could imagine you visited the website, would you accept the work of someone that is really learning.

• 1. Re: Business Advice.
          Zabeth69 Level 5

Don't misrepresent yourself. You want to be building trust, not suspicion.

Build a website that functions well, shows your work well, and communicates to your visitor that you know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are doing, do something simpler. If you REALLY don't know what you are doing, take the time NOW to go learn it. There are lots of great tutorials here on the Adobe site; you will find more out in the marketplace.

I'm not sure why you would use the "sympathy student" card. If you want to find people who will support your studies, you need to figure out that angle...work out a barter system or something.

The more you demonstrate that you know what you are doing, the less you need to advertise...your work and your happy clients will speak for you.

Don't bite off more than you can chew...dream your dreams, but do your homework.

Beth