4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 2:03 PM by Matt Petersen

pixelated photoshop imports

wyrden

I made a very simple image in Photoshop CS3 - a red silouhette on black - but when I import it into Premiere Pro CS3 (as an adobe file with dimensions to match the presentation) and export it as a movie the outline is jagged/coursely pixelated rather than smooth as in the original.  Curiously, placing a Title over it smoothed the edges a bit but the image remains blurry rather than crisp.  Any solutions?

• 1. Re: pixelated photoshop imports
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No solution but Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 2. Re: pixelated photoshop imports
            the_wine_snob Level 9

To make sure that I'm on the same page as you, let me restate: you created an image in PS, and did a Save_As .PSD, which was sized to your Project's Frame Size, and correct PAR. This was Imported into PrPro as Footage (Layers Flattened), and placed onto the Timeline. When you Export>Movie (DV?), the PSD looks bad, both soft and pixelated. When you place a Title over it, it improves, but not by much. Is this correct?

The reason that I am asking, is that I have not encountered such, and the above (except for the Title) is my workflow. Things look quite good, when one considers that the output is to video and not to print.

Good luck, and let me know if I got the situation and workflow correct.

Hunt

• 3. Re: pixelated photoshop imports
              wyrden Level 1

Yes I believe that's what I've done, but keep in mind that I'm a complete novice.

I've attached a couple of images which will hopefully illustrate what I'm referring to.

• 4. Re: pixelated photoshop imports
                Matt Petersen Level 3

Hard to say without knowing your project settings, but I must say the results there would be what I would call "typical" for a DV size project, especially if those figures aren't rendered full-size in the frame (i.e. they take up only part of the screen).

having said that, have a look at your PAR (pixel aspect ratio) for the project, you might be working in non-square pixels but you may have fed it square pixels causing PP to do some not-so-good scaling.

Just a thought.

MP