7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 1:45 PM by BroskiiFX RSS

3D PSD file import : how to change 3D anchor point in AE ? Challenge..!

dannyflightman

Hello everyone,

I've successfully imported a 3D file from Photoshop Extended CS4 into AE CS4. In AE, I can sucessfully animate rotation of the 3D object.

Here's the problem : I cannot change the 3D object's anchor point. I've tried changing the anchor point's coordinates on the controller layer of the 3D object layer, the numers change, but the anchor point remains at its initial position, as if it was locked.

I also thought changing the anchor point in PS Extended before importing the file into AE, but PS Extended does not seem to have an anchor point changing tool.

So I even reasoned back one step : changing the anchor point in my 3D software since the beginning. Well, not possible because PS Extended seems to create an average position for the anchor point when impoting a 3D file from a third party software. So useless changing the coordinates in the 3D software.

Photoshop Extended 3D is the only possible workflow to import 3D objects into AE that I know of.

So, is is possible to change the 3D anchor point directly in After Effects ? What blocks that point from being changed ?

This is quite a challenging problem, good luck for finding a solution ! I'm very sure that this technique is commonly needed and used when working in 3D, and that it will be of great help for many designers that want 3D in After Effects !

Thanks again !

Note : please do not confuse simple After Effects standard 3D layer, with the 3D PSD file import layer, these are two totally different types

• 1. Re: 3D PSD file import : how to change 3D anchor point in AE ? Challenge..!
          Mylenium MVP

Check the expression controller associated with the 3D object! You may need to do some rewiring (swap axes) on it to be able to offset the anchor point. As for the rest - yeah, it's all automatic based on the bounding box. Not much you can change about that.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: 3D PSD file import : how to change 3D anchor point in AE ? Challenge..!
            dannyflightman Community Member

Thanks for your reply !

I tried looking deeper into the layers and parameters. The layer is controlled by many complex expressions, and I played around with some, but it just creates a total mess.

I'll keep trying out some more of that..

• 3. Re: 3D PSD file import : how to change 3D anchor point in AE ? Challenge..!
              AaronLeeWms Community Member

You are right...the number 1 issue I believe that inhibits AE from launching fully into 3d, is it's inability to lock pivot points and in desired cases....multiple pivot "anchor" points individually on the x,y,z  axis of a layer. If adobe would conquer this it would open up the world in After Effects. Who knows, might be a script somewhere that could do this....In this case however, I think we're out of luck. This current .3ds to .psd into AE kind of reminds me of the plugin shatter and it's limitations in animating in 3d space with a comp camera. These 3d layers don't operate in the compositions 3d space. Instead, they function in their own 3d space located within it's individual layer.  The composition serves more as it's outer-space. So when the composition camera orbits, the layer stays locked in space and orbits to the comp camera...resulting in cropping of layers in some cases. That's why it's still better at this point to track the footage in 2d/3d tracking software, use a 3d modeling program to attach the camera tracking data, re-import that object for compositing in AE. It's a lot more steps, but until AE crosses from 2d into real 3d space it seems to be the best option.

• 4. Re: 3D PSD file import : how to change 3D anchor point in AE ? Challenge..!
                what_on_aerth

Any further forward with this anyone?

This is driving me insane as well...

I'm trying to create a simple comp within AE and have my clients logo fly on behind their text while rotating in 3D space.

The idea is for it to rotate on the X axis, but rotate within the logo itself (straight through the axis within the logo itself)

But when I try to rotate it, the AP is about 2.5 "logo depths" away from the logo, so when the rotation of any axis starts it looks ridiculous.

Are Adobe really trying to tell us that moving the AP is not possible within AE for imported Live Photoshop PSD files?

Hopefully a solution comes along soon as I cannot for the life of me figure out a workaround to the problem......

Cheers,

Paul.

• 5. Re: 3D PSD file import : how to change 3D anchor point in AE ? Challenge..!
                  Mylenium MVP

Are Adobe really trying to tell us that moving the AP is not possible within AE for imported Live Photoshop PSD files?

Yes, they are, but the goof-up trophy still goes to the PS team. It's their fault that you can't even do it in PS... Anyway, have you tried adjusting the anchor point of the controller layer? Modified the expressions to suit?

Mylenium

• 6. Re: 3D PSD file import : how to change 3D anchor point in AE ? Challenge..!
                    Andrew Yoole ACP/MVPs

Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator is still leagues ahead of Photoshop 3D if you really need 3D extruded objects in AE.

• 7. Re: 3D PSD file import : how to change 3D anchor point in AE ? Challenge..!
                      BroskiiFX

Easy.

So you've got all of your Photoshop 3D layers in one comp with the layer controller, the file layer (Usually called Layer 1), and the camera.
                      So, create a new Null object. Turn on its 3d setting, and then position it to where you want the axis to be. Make sure the controller layer is parented to the camera and the camera is parented to the new null object.

Then, simply animate the Y-rotation and there you go, spinning like a top, homie.