6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 12:17 PM by essential1

MenuItem objects that are SkinnableComponents

essential1 Level 1

Has anyone successfull created a vertical popup submenu?

How does one actually load the page content, as I cannot set it to current state?

• 1. Re: MenuItem objects that are SkinnableComponents
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

I'm not sure I understand the question.  I have a mockup of Menu-like

behavior using Spark Lists on my blog.

--

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Team

Adobe System, Inc.

http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MenuItem objects that are SkinnableComponents
            essential1 Level 1

Thanks for giving me great food for thought...I learned alot and have thoroughly covered your blog.

Let me try be more specific.  First, I found the suggestion to use MenuItem objects that are SkinnableComponents at the following forum link:http://forums.adobe.com/message/2154459#2154459.  But I need direction.  My goal is to be able to fully load a submenu page.  I can only get the submenu's to show correctly, but the submenu links are useless in my case, if I can only load a string.

I use submenu pages a lot and will need to work in a framework that makes it easier.

Am I missing something very basic?  Are thier not true submenu options in Flash Builder?  I am enjoying currentState and ViewStack ...fun to work with, but need that nice rollOver, slide-out submenu for page transitions.

Any help, workarounds, tutorial suggestions, etc. are much appreciated

• 3. Re: MenuItem objects that are SkinnableComponents

I'm not sure what you mean by "fully load a submenu page".  The basic

premise of the Spark Menu post on my blog is how to use PopUpAnchor to popup

things in a way like menus do.  In my case I'm popping up data-driven Lists,

but you could popup anything you want.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: MenuItem objects that are SkinnableComponents
                essential1 Level 1

Your SparkMenuButtonItemRender is most impressive!  My Flash Builder experience limits me; I am eager to learn.  How thrilled I would be to be able to pop up anything.  I am working through the PopUpAnchor Help doc...may take me some time.  Thanks for your patience.  Meanwhile, here are a few questions, if any are a good fit to answer.

Is it possible to use the submenu_RollOutHandler to change a currentState in the main app?

or

How do I add images and swf files in menuData:XML?    Here: source="{XML(data).children()}"?

or

Do I need to move my DataProvider from xml to an array to pop up anything?

• 5. Re: MenuItem objects that are SkinnableComponents

You can add any code you want into submenu_rollOutHandler or dispatch an

event from that handler.

I would embed the images and use the name of the variable in the XML.

As long as you interpret the XML to generate your display objects you don't

need to use Array.

• 6. Re: MenuItem objects that are SkinnableComponents
                    essential1 Level 1

I am sure that was the correct answer; I just need help implmenting it.  I am following your suggestions...lots of learning... and successful at loading images and text.  However, because it does so on rollOut, the content is lost as soon as the viewer moves the cursor away.

The function submenu_clickHandler is called within the PopUpAchor and I do not have a "click" option there.

"Change" is already used and I cannot add it to the function menuItemSelected.

"RollOut" is not even listed in the dropdown options, but works.  ("rollOutEffect" is, but again, is gone after rollOut)

I am successful at adding it and keeping the content till another button is clicked by using the function menu_addHandler, but how can I varry content per submenu button?

My efforts with XML are still in progress.  Where do you embed the images?  I tried to do so in my AS, however still cannot get my images to load this way.

Your directional help is superb. Any more help you can offer me to reach  full success would be much appreciated...

Again, thanks tons!