4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 1:08 PM by the_wine_snob

How to keep drivers current for optimum preformance?

zjimbo Level 1

Win7/64 bit, 8GB, GTX260, Dual Core 6000, Crosshair I

Next undate when I get the funds: Crosshair III, 12GB, Quad processor

Three internal HHD's two external HHD's

All this and when trying to find a fix in PP Hunt asked me what driver my mouse was using. Heck I don't know.

As I begin to search for the answer I can across a site called "Driver Fetch". For $29.95 they would install the latest drivers on my system for one year.

Is this the way to go to keep all my drivers current?

So as 2 not Harm my system, the Hunt is on.

Jim

• 1. Re: How to keep drivers current for optimum preformance?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          So as 2 not Harm my system, the Hunt is on.

Nice one!

I would not invest in such a utility, because, apart from the money, it needs to run in the background to check for updates and that reduces performance and available memory, the one thing you want to avoid. If you check Windows or Microsoft update from time to time and check your audio and video drivers once a month, and for your programs use the Check for updates option, you don't need anything else. Video drivers (at least from ATI) come out monthly around the 20-th of each month. Personally I have never dowloaded an audio driver, although Bill does so with some regularity. Only when Windows Update gave me new drivers did I install those. Most programs, including Adobe, check automatically for updates and inform you when one is available. Network drivers updates or updates for audio, BT, printers are rare and wide apart. Only when you have a strange problem that can not be explained, need you check those, but generally it is not necessary. Another way to find whether updates are available is to go to the download sections of your motherboard manufacturer and check the file dates of available updates. Once every couple of months is enough IMO.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to keep drivers current for optimum preformance?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Harm.

I get new drivers, when I find some issue, and seldom before. While new drivers can fix a lot of issues, they can also cause myriad problems. Case in point: nVidia had a whole series of video drivers, that contained some extreme gamer-only modules. These wrecked many Adobe products! The answer was to roll-back to previous drivers, or manually disable those particular modules. In time, nVidia made some changes, and released new "Adobe-friendly" drivers. For my workstation, I think I have only upgraded my nVidia Quadro drivers 3x in 4 years. I also keep the old driver versions handy.

Every program on all of my computers is set to NOT update automatically. I want to be notified, if there is an update, but then I will decide when/if I update. Every time that I forget, some program auto-updates and I have issues. I had forgotten to set Java to manual update, and it did its thing, when I was in the process of Saving a big image file in PS - it killed PS and for the first time in 20+ years, I had to trash my Preferences file!

Now, two thing to become familiar with are Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager. You can gain a lot of knowledge about current drivers there. Next is a little built-in utility, Start>Run>dxdiag. Plenty of tabs and info there.

I'd not go with any auto-updating program, and for most of the reasons that Harm states. I also only want to change things, if the cease working. As Harm states, "if it ain't broke... " I also do not want any updating, while I am working. I'll do it on my own time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to keep drivers current for optimum preformance?
              zjimbo Level 1

Thank U both. I will stay as I am.

Jim

• 4. Re: How to keep drivers current for optimum preformance?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You are most welcome. I would do exactly the same. When I hit an issue, I go looking for new drivers, and for firmware. The same with program updates, like for Apple's QT Player. In the recent past, there were several updates that killed all things Adobe. Now, those seem to have been fixed, but I am still on QT Pro 7.5.5, and it works.

Good luck,

Hunt