3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 8:47 AM by Todd_Kopriva

AE CS3 hanging on exit on I7 system with 12 gigs ram

Laer2 Level 1

I've been running CS3 on a single core XP system fine up to now, but recently purchased an Win7 I7 system with 12 gigs of ram, and moved my CS3 suite to it.

On a new,clean install, on a new clean system, AE CS3 is always hanging when I exit the program, with no indication of what is wrong, or chance to do anything.  I just get a busy cursor that never goes away, and I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL it to get any options to terminate the program.

Wondering how I can fix that.  Keep in mind I'm on CS3, so please dont' suggest patches/updates intended for CS4.

If it's relevant, I am using OpenGL, and Render Mutiple Frames.... and I really hope I don't have to shut those off as a 'solution', as that would defeat the purpose of purchasing this new system.

Hope someone here can help.  Thanks...

• 2. Re: AE CS3 hanging on exit on I7 system with 12 gigs ram
          Laer2 Level 1

Yes, it still hangs, every time I exit AfterEffects.  Didn't do this on the other system, but it happens every time on the new Win7 system.

Here's what Windows tells me when I CTRL+ALT+DEL it...

Description:
            A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
            Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1
            Application Name:    AfterFX.exe
            Application Version:    8.0.2.27
            Application Timestamp:    478c63c2
            Hang Signature:    9211
            Hang Type:    0
            OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
            Locale ID:    4105
            Additional Hang Signature 1:    9211893d34005b04e83fad9e5588e523
            Additional Hang Signature 2:    8afb
            Additional Hang Signature 3:    8afbc2ba10ab47c80f2930d55195c48e
            Additional Hang Signature 4:    9211
            Additional Hang Signature 5:    9211893d34005b04e83fad9e5588e523
            Additional Hang Signature 6:    8afb
            Additional Hang Signature 7:    8afbc2ba10ab47c80f2930d55195c48e

Is the solution that Adobe apparently found (and included in their CS4 update) going to be made available to CS3 users?

Are there any settings I could/should change?

• 3. Re: AE CS3 hanging on exit on I7 system with 12 gigs ram
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

After Effects CS3 came out long before Windows 7 did. Here's an FAQ list about Windows 7 support.

Especially notable is this part:

Will earlier versions of the Creative Suite family products and components support Windows 7?

Adobe Creative Suite 4 and Creative Suite 3 solutions were included in our testing efforts. While older Adobe and Macromedia applications may install and run on Windows 7, they were designed, tested, and released to the public several years before this new operating system became available and have not been tested. Older versions of Adobe software will unfortunately not be updated to support the shipping editions of Windows 7, since our engineering and test teams focus on more current configurations. For known issues regarding the running of Creative Suite products and components under Windows 7, see the Knowledgebase article.