5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 1:41 PM by Jacob Bugge

Boxes around vectors when I print

LARadtke Level 1

When I print this vector flyer, certain objects get this off-color, slightly lighter box around them! this happens when I convert to PDF too. I've attached an example of what I mean. (I generated it in photoshop, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like when printed)

What I did was: typed something out (in myriad) - converted it to outlines - applied a gradient - applied a dark outer glow- put it above a dark red background.

Any reason why this would be printing with a box around it? Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Boxes around vectors when I print
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Liz,

... this happens when I convert to PDF too.

Does the box show in the PDF or in the print from the PDF. The former seems to imply an issue within Illy, the latter a printer (driver) issue, possibly setting to be disabled activating colour management by the printer (driver).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Boxes around vectors when I print
            LARadtke Level 1

Only on the print version. Our printer does have its issues... I have the print setup set to "let illustrator determine colors" - is there anything else I could do? The printer is completely calibrated, we just had a tech out on this last week and I'm pretty familiar with all the setting on it and our driver for it. It's an office printer and not a professional graphics printer, so it's not unlikely it's messing things up... it's the only printer I have access to so I can't confirm. I'll look around in the options...

Any other ideas?

(note- it had this problem before AND after the tech came out. It happens only very rarely so I havent asked about it before)

• 3. Re: Boxes around vectors when I print

Liz,

What happens if you tick Print as Image when printing from PDF?

• 4. Re: Boxes around vectors when I print
                LARadtke Level 1

It prints out great, that's what! Thank you so much!

I'm going to label this as solved, even if I never really figured out why it happened, I can at least prevent it now

• 5. Re: Boxes around vectors when I print

You are welcome, Liz.

I seems to indicate that there is some strange thing going on where the printer does some unwanted processing, which Print as Image overrides; it could be related to raster versus vector, especially if it occurs in connexion with effects, rather than being a matter of colour.

As far as I remember, there have been cases with a strange and hidden setting, maybe under Properties or wherever, seemingly irrelevant, but crucial.