3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 12:53 PM by TimeRemapper

Which frame of image sequence am I on

reindeer4 Level 1

I've imported several png sequences for use in AFX.  After trimming the time duration on this group of pngs, is there a way to tell which png I'm actually using for my last frame in the composition so that I can pull that specific image out and hold it constant if desired?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Which frame of image sequence am I on
          TimeRemapper Level 4

You can apply Time Remapping to the sequence, and look at the value returned (for Time Remapping) in the timeline on any given frame for that sequence.

• 2. Re: Which frame of image sequence am I on
            reindeer4 Level 1

Ok.  Using time remapper, I can see that my precomposed png sequence is at 8 seconds, 1 frame, and I'm using 24 fps.  So should b2 193rd image in my sequence.  Is that how you meant to use it, or is there an automated way for me to see if I'm on witch1093.png for instance?

(I don't mind doing a small bit of arithmetic, but I'll be doing similar procedure with multiple png sequences and I may be adjusting the in and out points several times, so an automated way to see which png I'm ending and starting on would be nice if possible).

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Which frame of image sequence am I on
              TimeRemapper Level 4

Ahh, they're precomposed.

Well, you'll need to get the frame value from the precomposed composition then.

Before doing anything else, change the display style for the timecode of your precomposition to "Frames".

You can do that by command clicking (mac) or control clicking (pc) the timecode in the upper left part of the timeline window, or go to File > Project Settings, and choose Frames.

Now then. Rather than hopping back and forth between comps, I suggest you create a new text layer in your main comp.

On the text layer's "source text" property, use the following expression:

comp("yourPreCompName").layer("yourImageSequenceLayer_{0000-0600}.iff").timeRemap*30

Where "yourPreCompName" is in that expression, substitute the name of your precomp.

Where "yourImageSequenceLayer_{0000-0600}.iff" is in that expression, substitute the name of the layer in your precomp for which you want to find out the frame number. The "30" at the end should be whatever your frame rate is (mine happened to be 30).