9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2011 1:02 PM by David Lingner

Time zone - local and remote server are different

John Blaustein Level 4

Hi,

DW CS4.

My computer and I are in PST and my hosting company is in MST.  When a file is transferred to the remote server, the server gives it the local MST timestamp.  For example, if I save a file at 5:30pm my time and transfer it immediately, on the remote server it will show 6:30p.

QUESTION:  Will this time zone difference create a problem for DW when Putting or Syncing?  FileZilla has a setting to adjust for the difference, but I don't see a setting like that in DW.

Thank you.

John

• 1. Re: Time zone - local and remote server are different
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DW accurately syncs local and remote filestamps in different timezones via an XML file: dwsync.xml in a hidden _notes folder.

It seems to work well most of the time (and you don't normally need to worry about it) although issues arise occasionally if the dwsync.xml files gets corrupted but, if you delete it, DW will re-build it.

See here for more:

Synchronize the files on your local and remote sites

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/10.0_Using/WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-7ea 4a.html

Troubleshoot synchronization problems in Dreamweaver CS4

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405835.html

• 2. Re: Time zone - local and remote server are different
            John Blaustein Level 4

John,

Thank you!  That is VERY helpful.

I've just recently come from FrontPage and while the learning curve has not been bad, there are lots of details to sort out.  I don't know what I'd do without this forum along with the PS and LR forums!  You pros are the best!

John

• 3. Re: Time zone - local and remote server are different
              John Blaustein Level 4

John W,

The troubleshooting doc was very helpful with the suggestion to delete the dwsync.xml files.  I did that and now syncing is work predictably again.

I think I created my own problem by using FileZilla some of the time and DW's Put and Sync other times.  I am going to try to stick with DW's internal sync and not use FileZilla if possible.

Thanks again for your help.

John B

• 4. Re: Time zone - local and remote server are different

I use both FileZilla and DW FTP for uploading too.

I find FileZilla much faster for uploading hundreds of small (<100K) files at a time.

• 5. Re: Time zone - local and remote server are different
                  John Blaustein Level 4

I agree that FileZilla is much faster for uploading large numbers of file.

FileZilla uploads the _notes folders and copies of dwsync.xml.  I assume that it is not a problem if these files and folders are on the server even if they are not used there.

Also, will going back and forth between DW Sync and FileZilla cause any issues with DW Sync keeping track of what is where?

John

• 6. Re: Time zone - local and remote server are different
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

FileZilla uploads the _notes folders and copies of dwsync.xml.  I assume that it is not a problem if these files and folders are on the server even if they are not used there.

Nope. Just redundant files consuming bytes on the server.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Also, will going back and forth between DW Sync and FileZilla cause any issues with DW Sync keeping track of what is where?

Possibly but I'll let DW sort that out for itself even if I have to re-sync the entire site in DW occasionally.

I'm not inclined to let DW's sync'ing methods prevent me from using FileZilla or another FTP client occasionally.

• 7. Re: Time zone - local and remote server are different
                      alta47

Where is dwsync.xml located? I looked in Program Files and Documents&Settings...

• 8. Re: Time zone - local and remote server are different
                        John Blaustein Level 4

Alta,

Look in this doc:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405835.html

It says:

Solution 2: Disable the "Maintain synchronization information" setting.

Do these steps if you are experiencing widespread synchronization problems.

Note: Dreamweaver will re-create the synchronization information for your site.

1. Choose Site > Manage Sites, select the site you want to edit, and click Edit.
                        2. On the Advanced tab of the Site Definition dialog box, choose Remote Info and "Maintain synchronization information".

Note: This will delete the existing dwsync.xml files.
                        3. Close Dreamweaver.
                        4. Verify that all of the dwsync.xml files have been deleted from your local root folder and all of its subfolders.

Note: The dwsync.xml files are located in the _notes folder which are hidden by default in Dreamweaver, so check for the _notes folders and dwsync.xml files in the Windows Explorer or Macintosh file browsers. The dwsync.xml files only reside locally. Dreamweaver will never upload the dwsync.xml files to the server, and there is no reason to upload them to the server.
                        5. Reopen Dreamweaver, choose Site > Manage Sites, and edit the same site you selected in step 1.
                        6. On the Advanced tab of the Site Definition dialog box, choose Remote Info and reselect "Maintain synchronization information".

Note: Dreamweaver will re-create the dwsync.xml files as you transfer files to and from the server.
                        7. Verify that the problem is resolved.

John

• 9. Re: Time zone - local and remote server are different
                          David Lingner

My local file has a time stamp of 12:19 pm.  I'm in Pacific Standard Time (PST).  My hosting company control panel shows the file with a time stamp of 15:19, which makes sense, because they're on the east coast in Eastern Standard Time (EST).  My problem is that the Dreamweaver 8 client I'm using for FTP shows the file on the remote server with a time stamp of 8:19 pm, which is 8 hours later than my local time and 5 hours later than the server time.

Can someone tell me what's going on?

I'd like to be able to tell quickly and accurately which file version is older.  If I edit the file at 8:00 tonight, the "remote" file will still show up as 8:19 pm on my Dreamweaver window.  I know it's an old version of DW (it came with the CS3 package), but I'm hoping the problem can be solved without my having to go to an updated version right away.

Thanks.

Dave Lingner