4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 9:22 PM by Ralph3616

Adding links to an image

Ralph3616 Level 1

I have a large image (map) to which I would like to add links (points of interest). If... my image was on a web page I can see where this would be easy however... I would like my map to open in a seperate browser window as a behavior (on click).

Can I still add icons or text that would open a text box?  How? Can I do this in Photoshop?

Thanks for any advice

• 1. Re: Adding links to an image
          osgood_ Level 8

Ralph3616 wrote:

I have a large image (map) to which I would like to add links (points of interest). If... my image was on a web page I can see where this would be easy however... I would like my map to open in a seperate browser window as a behavior (on click).

Can I still add icons or text that would open a text box?  How? Can I do this in Photoshop?

Thanks for any advice

You can do this directly within Dreamweaver by drawing 'image maps' onto the actual image (your map) itself.

Click on the image (your map) in Dreamweaver, go to the properties inspector, and look in the bottom left corner where you'll see some blue coloured icons. Choose the appropraite one and draw an area on the image itself.

If you look in code view after drawing the area on the image you'll see something like below:

<area shape="circle" coords="870,1212,30" href="#" />

Now you need to add the 'title' attribute to the code above (see below), which will show some text when a mouse hovers over the area:

<area shape="circle" coords="870,1212,30" title="This is a boat on the Rhine" href="#" />

In the case senario when you mouse over the boat on the image some text will appear in a box saying: 'This is a boat on the Rhine'

Add more image map areas as required.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding links to an image
            Ralph3616 Level 1

Thank you OSGOOD.

This seemed like the perfect solution... But, either I am doing something wrong... or it does not quite work the way you suggest.

1. As my map opens in a new window, the result of a behavior on-click there is no image to select other than what shows in my Local Files folder.
            2. The only time that I see the hot spot icons "bottom left in properties" is if I have the thumbnail image (that activates my behavior on-click) selected.
            3. The process does work if I use my thumbnail image however it is much to small to get the detail that I hope to have.

Am I doing something wrong? Can I select my image some other place for this method to work?

Thanks again for your time

Ralph

• 3. Re: Adding links to an image
              osgood_ Level 8

Why don't you insert the large map in an 'ordinary' Dreamwever file, draw image map hots spots on it, then open that file when the thumbnails on another page are click?

• 4. Re: Adding links to an image
                Ralph3616 Level 1

Thanks OSGOOD

A good suggestion.. works just fine that way.

One "mini" problem still .. my hotspots open a pop up window (behaviour Expert Popup from Kaosweaver) but I would like to have some mouse over text as well.. Any thoughts on how I could have both?