7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 5:26 PM by the_wine_snob

terrible playback footage - copied from FAQ's sorry!

mckenry

sorry, i posted in the FAQ section, then saw the rules..

Hi All,

I have a new set up and it's driving me nuts. I had Prem Elements 2 with an SD Sony tape camcorder and an old computer. Everything was great.

Well, as time goes by, things get upgraded, superseded etc and this is what I know have;

Sony HDR-XR520 Full HD camcorder - hard drive

Premiere Elements 8

New HP computer, (with Nividia driver) - checked and I have the latest driver. I also tick all the boxes for memory from searching all the help pages I can.

So, what is happening is I can d/load all the footage just fine.

I can watch the AVCHD in windows media player and it's perfect.

When I am in PE8 editing and trying to watch the playback, it's all steppy, jerky kind of motion. Water is all pixelated too.

Please, somebody tell me what I am doing wrong!! I think I have the capture setup right - especially as it looks fine in media player original format.

Thanks in advance,

mckenry

• 1. Re: terrible playback footage - copied from FAQ's sorry!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you are using an AVCHD camcorder. If so, ensure that your Premiere Elements project us set up for AVCHD and that you have chosen the right audio project preset. This is vital, and it's something I cover in my first tutorial in my Premiere Elements Basic Training on Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

Also, is there a red line above your clips on your timeline? This is an indication that you will need to render your timeline as you work. To render, press the Enter key on your keyboard. The red line will turn green and your playback should improve greatly.

You don't say how powerful your computer is, but most people who are successfully working with AVCHD are using computers with quad core processors and 4 gigs of RAM. Less than that and you'll likely have sluggish performance all around.

Likewise, if your computer is running Windows 7 64-bit you may also have challenges as many of the 64-bit drivers do not work well with Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: terrible playback footage - copied from FAQ's sorry!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Two more area to check are Hardware Acceleration. If it is set to max, turn to min. If min set to max. If this helps, the increment up/down, until it returns, then increment by one.

OpenGL can affect playback. Check your OpenGL settings and if ON, try OFF.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: terrible playback footage - copied from FAQ's sorry!
              mckenry Level 1

It sounds like you are using an AVCHD camcorder. If so, ensure that your Premiere Elements project us set up for AVCHD and that you have chosen the right audio project preset.

I think so. I chose the AVCHD with Dolby 5.1 as the capture settings. I assume this is what you mean as audio project preset?

Also, is there a red line above your clips on your timeline? This is an indication that you will need to render your timeline as you work. To render, press the Enter key on your keyboard. The red line will turn green and your playback should improve greatly.

mmm hadn't noticed a red line. But, it is continually doing background rendering in the bottom right corner. Is this the same thing?

You don't say how powerful your computer is, but most people who are successfully working with AVCHD are using computers with quad core processors and 4 gigs of RAM. Less than that and you'll likely have sluggish performance all around.

I think I am right in this regard. Here is the spec from the quote.

HP PAVILION ELITE HPE-070A PC
              i5-750 2.66GHz Quad-Core/4GB/750GB/WLAN DVDRW w/ Blue Ray player/GeForce GT220 3D Graphics HDMI + DVI / Win7 Home Premium

Likewise, if your computer is running Windows 7 64-bit you may also have challenges as many of the 64-bit drivers do not work well with Premiere Elements.

mmm yes it's Windows 7 64-bit. Is there any work around or do I need a software that is designed for the 64-bit system?

Thanks for your replies.

• 4. Re: terrible playback footage - copied from FAQ's sorry!
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunatley, there is no workaround to working with Windows 7 64-bit. We'll just have to wait for the third-party driver providers to catch up and provide drivers that are both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible. So instability with Windows 7 64-bit may be something we'll just have to contend with for another 6 months or so -- until Service Pack 1 is released.

Meantime, I'd recommend you turn off Background Rendering with version 8. It's a terribly intrusive feature, and you're much better off rendering manually.

Here's how, from the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503270?tstart=0

On the minus side, this means you'll have to render your video manually (by pressing Enter). On the plus side, the background rendering process won't leave you watching the hourglass spin while you're waiting to edit your video!

• 5. Re: terrible playback footage - copied from FAQ's sorry!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Note: Steve typed PrE 7, but meant PrE 8. I replied here, as he will likely want to edit that, and could not, if replied to him directly.

Hunt

• 7. Re: terrible playback footage - copied from FAQ's sorry!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hunt

PS - glad that I allowed you that opportunity. I've been known to reply, before I thought about the implications.