3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 6:51 AM by the_wine_snob

No icon for tape capture

Kevin j uk

Hi I would like to capture for some video tape. I have two capture devices; a Pinnacle Movie Box DV which I have used before with its software and a Grand AV USB 2.0 Pro. I like the Pinnacle as it connects via 'firewire'.

Can I use one of these with PE8, to capture video tape? There is no icon in the capture window.

• 1. Re: No icon for tape capture
          nealeh Level 5

Grand Pro not - it is a USB analog-digital converter that will not work with PRE. You can use it's own software to import, then export it into a PRE compatible format  (ideally DV-AVI Type 2).

The Pinnacle product is a firewire device (referred to in other posts as a 'bridge').  I would think that it ought to be visible in PRE. Maybe try the instructions (as far as you can) Pinnacle provide for import into the LiquidEdition software - there should be some similarities. It's 'DV Capture' (section 4 on page 2 of the attached).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: No icon for tape capture
            Kevin j uk Level 1

Thanks for that I will give it a try at the weekend and will post any results.

Kev

>>> nealeh <forums@adobe.com> 17/02/2010 11:25 >>>

Grand Pro not - it is a USB analog-digital converter that will not work with PRE.

The Pinnacle product is a firewire device (referred to in other posts as a 'bridge').  I would think that it ought to be visible in PRE. Maybe try the instructions (as far as you can) Pinnacle provide for import into the LiquidEdition software - there should be some similarities. It's 'DV Capture' (section 4 on page 2 of the attached).

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: No icon for tape capture
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Kevin,

As Neale points out, the Pinnacle might work. If so, you will not have Device Control, like a video camera would, when hooked up and the Capture Module launched. This will not be a big deal, as you can manually do this. It takes a bit of dexterity, but I place the remote for my VHS/DVD deck in my left hand, and my mouse in my right. I first click on the Record (term might be different in PrE) with the mouse to start, and then hit Play on the remote to start the deck. This results in a few Frames of blank/black in the Capture file, but that is easily eliminated in editing.

Above I said "might," because many of the Pinnacle units have proved problematic. Even with the Pinnacle software, many users never got them to work. The Dazzle line was especially troublesome. Check the Pinnacle forum to see what I mean. The ADS-Pyro and the Canopus/Grass Valley ADVC-110 & 300 units seem to work perfectly with PrE and PrPro.

If all fails, just use the bundled Pinnacle software and save as Neale suggests: DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio.

Good luck, and be sure to practice with the remote and the mouse - you'll soon get the hang of it.

Hunt