9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 1:49 PM by the_wine_snob

Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use. Solution found!?

SciFi 7 Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have received the following error many times on my machine for different projects when trying to burn to disk and folders:

Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use.

I have multiple hard drives with ~60GB, 40GB and 12GB. I have tried to burn 4.7GB discs and folders and 8.5GB folders.

I have previously tried nearly ALL 20 troubleshooting items recommended by Adobe and have even changed to Verbatim media. None of these solved the problem.

What did solve the problem, EVERY SINGLE TIME, was freeing up hard drive space or reducing the length of the project.

You may look at the available hard drive space and THINK that you have enough. But you don't.

Perhaps the remainder of this thread could be used to discuss the disk space requirements for projects. I can't seem to crack the formula. I just keep deleting/archiving files until the project works. I have ordered some new big HDD's to be rid of this error forever.

Justin.

• 1. Re: Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use. Solution found!?
          nealeh Level 5

SciFi 7 wrote:

Perhaps the remainder of this thread could be used to discuss the disk space requirements for projects. I can't seem to crack the formula. I just keep deleting/archiving files until the project works. I have ordered some new big HDD's to be rid of this error forever.

I doubt there is a single formula - it will depend on complexity of project, size of rendered items, size of preview files ...

For reference I once got an error relating to disk space - even though there was 85GB contiguous free space. I freed up another 100GB (moved some video folders to another drive) and all went well.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use. Solution found!?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And don't forget to ensure that all of your hard drives are formatted NTFS rather than FAT32 (as they are from the factory). FAT32 drives have a file size limit that often chokes video work.

To find out if your drives are formatted NTFS, open My Computer, right-click on each drive and select Properties.

And, of course, keep your drives (especially your C drive) defragmented. Premiere Elements using scratch areas of your drives in very large chunks and, if you don't have a big, clean chunk, the program will fail.

• 3. Re: Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use. Solution found!?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Justin,

Thank you for posting.

Often, the figure, "30GB of free space" is given, as the absolute minimum. I'm a bit old-school, and always recommend more. One of my considerations is that HDD performance is degraded, as the disk fills to over 75% of capacity, and can fail, if filled to capacity. Neale points to what I consider a more reasonable margin for headroom.

Besides the output files, PrE needs to create some very large working files. These are Deleted, when the operation completes, so the user is often unaware of them, still they are required, and can be very large. On my working HDD's, I try to keep 500GB free space on each. Now, that is not my recommendation, as it is more than many folks' HDD capacity - it is just how I keep my HDD's. As a matter of fact, I keep two empty, at 1TB each, as they are also my PS Scratch Disks too.

Good comment.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use. Solution found!?
                Parfimik

While it is certainly possible that diskspace is one factor in getting the dreaded "target device isn't suitable message" (usually after lenghthy processing), it does not appear to be the only one.

I got the message trying to burn a 3 minute video to a dvd on two seperate computers one running xp pro with 150Gb of spare disk space and one running W7 HP with 50Gb of spare space. Tryng to burn to a folder gave the same error.

To me, this pointed to something in the app, or the project, so firstly I deleted the disk menu...burn completed ok. Re-instated a menu (different one)....burn failed. Removed one scene marker and the stop marker......burn completed ok. Re-instated stop marker......burn failed

Am I missing something on the purpose of the stop marker?

There was nothing obviously wrong with the project, although I will admit that I am new to PRE but am not a complete novice to video editing.

The encoding process of the menu's (both passes) went ok, and it wasn't until it got to the "encoding media" phase that the error message appeared.

It would certainly seem that more illuminating error reporting would be beneficial in this case, but it would also seem to be worth trying changes to the menus or markers to see if that fixes the error message.

• 5. Re: Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use. Solution found!?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree that better error reporting would be a near-perfect world, but there are considerations. First, the authoring module in PrE (and Adobe Encore) is built on the licensed Sonic Authorcore (they hold almost all the patents on DVD/BD authoring). Sonic builds in a very modular form, and those modules do not always talk to each other well. Also, the errors are often OS related, and the OS's do not communicate well with programs.

Sometimes, the OS (or a Sonic module) will throw an error, and the program cannot tell what it means, so it will pick from a list of built-in errors and just choose one. Might not be the right one, or not even close, but that is all that the program has to go on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use. Solution found!?
                    Parfimik Level 1

Bill,

Thank you for that reply, and insight into the software licensing business. I had foolishly assumed that Adobe was responsible for all the code.

I dont know if Sonic are the only suppliers of authoring software, but as a general comment, authoring and DVD/BD burning has to be one of the "flakiest" areas in computer use. Just think how many "coasters" we have all produced.

Enough whinging though, the finished video (after deletion of the stop flag) turned out great, and the menu template was excellent.

Mike.

• 7. Re: Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use. Solution found!?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Two "tricks" that will help to NOT create coasters:

1.) Burn to Folder, and then use a DVD software player to test. Does not work for BD in PrE, but will in Encore.

2.) Use RW/RE media and Burn to Disc, to test. These can be reused many, many times. Note: DVD-9 RW's are harder to find, but will last a long time.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Sonic holds the licenses to DVD, and much of BD, so some form of their software will appear in any software. Sometimes, like with DD 5.1 SS Audio, a few companies do enough reverse-engineering to bypass the DD licensing. Trouble is, much of the time, things do not work well, and also some of these same programs play fast and loose with the DVD-specs. Tons of users never can author a DVD that will play in ANY set-top player, but only in that program's DVD software player on a computer. If that is all that one needs, they are fine, but if one wishes to author a DVD for set-top, TV playback, then they should look elsewhere. I will not mention the names of such prograrm.

• 8. Re: Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use. Solution found!?
                        Socrates8

Thanks for your ideas. I cleared the scene markers and created some hard drive space How do you delete the Menu?

• 9. Re: Device error -the target device isn't suitable for use. Solution found!?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

To remove Menus, just choose AutoPlay, and it will reset. After that, you can create a DVD as an AutoPlay, or start over with Menu Set selections.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt