7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2010 1:45 PM by the_wine_snob

.AVI Import Issues, PE 7

Nethseaar

I've been using a Sony MiniDV camera to film, using a USB streaming film-capture program (provided with the camera) to copy footage to the computer. The resultant files are .AVI in format.

Previously, I have successfully imported files created through this exact process to PE 7 with no issue whatsoever - audio and video were successfully imported, with acceptable quality.

Now, when I try to import these files to Premiere Elements 7, it gives me a 'the type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed' error. Having gotten this error, I ran a series of searches and, based on the results' advice, downloaded G-Spot and used it to identify the required codec. According to G-Spot, the codec is called 'BI_RGB Raw Bitmap' and I already have it. Or, from what I understand, the file should be able to import, as no codec is required, or I already have the required codec. Does PE 7 need a separate, specific codec? Shouldn't there be no problem with importing these files as-is?

With a different camera (not one which I own; the project is a collaborative effort) we've had issues with the .AVI files from it being importable/usable on PE 7 on one computer, while not on another. I have similarly run G-Spot, on one computer only (on which the file is unusable), and it identifies the codec as 'XviD ISO MPEG-4'. I ran a search and downloaded the XviD 1.2.2 codec for Windows from http://www.koepi.info/xvid.html , having navigated there from www.xvid.com Having installed this codec, the files import, so they are in the project media box, but when I attempt to drag them to the timeline or play them, it requires me to locate the file, and when I do, it gives me the same error message as before.

At this point, I find myself frustrated by .AVI files and their respective codecs. Is anyone working to make .AVI files universally compatible or not compatible? And even if there is some issue with the files or PE 7, shouldn't that issue remain consistent from computer to computer? Regardless of that, any help would be much appreciated. This project has a timeframe that's all too short, and the sooner we're able to smooth these compatibility issues out, the better.

• 1. Re: .AVI Import Issues, PE 7
          nealeh Level 5

A fact that I had never understood or even been aware of before joining this forum (thanks Bill & Steve) is that .AVI files are a wrapper surrounding video and audio data. Inside the 'wrapper' could be data from a wide variety of codecs - i.e. there is no single ".AVI" codec.

PRE does however love DV-AVI Type 2 files (DV-AVI is *not* the same as AVI). Check the Sony software to see what export formats are available. If there are none then work through this FAQ entry: "What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?"

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: .AVI Import Issues, PE 7
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you same process used to work, it was because the output format was DV-AVI Type II. The settings have changed. You need to select DV-AVI Type II with the DV/DVC MS CODEC. If you can also set for the Audio, you want 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV (Uncompressed).

As you have seen, the AVI wrapper can hold a lot of stuff. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Now, having a CODEC installed, does NOT mean that an NLE (Non Linear Editor) can actually edit with it. Sometimes yes, but often no.

This ARTICLE will give you more info on CODEC's, as applied to AV files.

Also, CODEC's, like Xvid and its commercial cousin, DivX, are delivery-only CODEC's and are not meant to be edited - only Exported to for streaming, highly compressed media. Note: I have never been able to get any Adobe program to Export to the Xvid CODEC, though they do Export to the DivX CODEC. Same thing for most users.

If one has AV files with odd CODEC's, the two methods of handling them are:

1.) go back to before that file was created and make different choices in the settings, i.e. DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio

2.) convert the file to the above specs.

Good luck, and check the output settings in your capture software.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: .AVI Import Issues, PE 7
              Nethseaar Level 1

Thank you for the links to articles and all - I've read through some of the articles, and the information is helpful. I like the AVI wrapper analogy - I think I understand what they are, for the most part, because of it. I've tried many suggested solutions and I've found something that strikes me as odd.

First off, I have managed to import the aforementioned AVI files successfully by now - with no complaint from Premiere - however, when I try to drag them to the timeline or sceneline, or play them/use them in any way, I get a 'Generic Failure' error that says 'This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.' It gives the one option - 'Ok' - which dismisses the message. I cannot use the AVI file, though it imported successfully.

Secondly, and more strangely, I've found that, while I cannot use the files if I drag them from the organizer, I am perfectly able to use them when I take them from under the Edit tab, in the Project window. This means that I'm able to use the files with no problem, except that I have to re-import them for every new project, even though they're already imported for another one. This is an irksome thing for me - having to import the same files over and over again (and I've been re-using a lot of footage) is frustrating. It consumes time that ought not to need to be consumed.

Also, Premiere seems to have a problem finding files or storing them or something. Every time I open a project, I have to navigate to every one of the files that I've imported, because Adobe Premiere cannot find them. This makes using Premiere a problem, as I've been working with at least a hundred files in any given project. The directory of the files hasn't changed; the files are still there, and their names are not changed. Is there some way that Adobe could be made to locate the files automatically? And then this issue combines with the compatibility issue - when I do locate the files,

Finally, this 'compatibility issue' (which I'm beginning to think Adobe is just making up, because the files do work . . .)  extends not only to AVI files, but also to WMV and M4V files. No file is 'compatible' with Adobe Premiere. WMV and M4V are both in the list of supported files - the M4V files are not encrypted - and, as far as I know, they are not like AVI files (not merely wrappers for various codecs), and should not have a problem. Furthermore, I've been using these WMV and M4V files continually, and I've never had a problem with them until now. At this point, they're behaving like the AVI files. I can use them, but only from the 'Project' window.

I think my copy might be having problems - is there a reason I should be getting this many problems with compatibility? It's as though nothing is compatible, and yet it all actually is. Is this a common problem?

• 4. Re: .AVI Import Issues, PE 7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I came back up-thread to see what OS you were on, and spotted the Xvid part of the post. Even with the Xvid CODEC properly installed, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to natively edit those files.

Now for a question: were these problems happening BEFORE you installed the Xvid CODEC? The reason that I ask is that just installing it has caused grief for some PrPro users. I have never had any issue with it on either of my main machines, but just its presence has caused them for others. Just a thought. As an aside, while I can Export/Share to DivX (the commercial big-brother of Xvid), I cannot with Xvid - it crashes PrPro and PrE completely, just trying to use it.

Now, I could not find info on your OS. Please tell us more about it. I am beginning to think that something is just not right here.

I'd also think about a Repair Install for PrE 7, in case some necessary .dll's are hosed, or missing.

Also, and going back down to your last post, having PrE loose the links to the Assets is not a good sign. PrE is having a problem establishing the links to those files from the Path listed in the Project file. This could be corruption of the XML file (the .PREL), or something systemic. When PrE cannot locate files, it normally asks where they are, but you make no mention of this. Any requests from PrE for you to tell it where file XXXX.AVI is?

Last, remember that when you Import an Asset into a Project, it is JUST Imported for THAT Project. If you start another Project, you will have to Import that file again. Also, you are not really placing that file into the Project, but just linking to it in the .PREL. No physical AV file is in the .PREL, just a link, and a set of instructions on what you have chosen to do with some of the data in the AV file. When it comes time to Export/Share, PrE follows those links and then copies the specified data, and acts on the instructions in the .PREL, to generate a new AV file where you tell the program to place it and with the specs. that you define. In the PrE workflow, it is not until the Export that there is actually an AV file created, beyond that linked original.

This ARTICLE will give you a little bit more background on the .PREL files and what they contain, and do not contain.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: .AVI Import Issues, PE 7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  First off, I have managed to import the aforementioned AVI files successfully by now - with no complaint from Premiere - however, when I try to drag them to the timeline or sceneline, or play them/use them in any way, I get a 'Generic Failure' error that says 'This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.' It gives the one option - 'Ok' - which dismisses the message. I cannot use the AVI file, though it imported successfully.

This makes me wonder a bit. Where are you having an issue "dragging" from? If you are trying to do this from the Organizer, you know that you MUST first Import the AV file into the Project. It needs to be in the Project Panel first. That is where you drag to the Timeline from.

If you ARE first Importing into the Project Panel and having an issue dragging from there, then you can ignore my comments above.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: .AVI Import Issues, PE 7
                    Nethseaar Level 1

I'm not entirely certian whether I was having problems with M4V and WMV before installing the codec - I can't recall issues with them. I should be able to uninstall this CODEC, correct? Would that repair any problems that might be occurring?

I'm running Windows Vista, on a 3-month-old computer (purchased 3 months ago, new).

Repair install sounds like a good idea - I'll try that shortly.

Adobe does ask me to locate the files that it can't find - if I do take the time to find them, it gives me the 'file not supported . . .' error again, and then moves to the next missing file, asking me to locate it.

So assets cannot be transferred between projects? In the Organizer tab, I am able to filter by albums (which are projects). I have been able to use files that I uploaded to other projects in the past, by dragging them from this window. At this point, I am unable because many files, when not uploaded for the specific project which I am working on, will give me the incompabibility error. Is this not supposed to be possible/ am I breaking anything by doing that?

Thanks for the explanation about what .prel files contain - I was under the impression that it was literally importing the file (moving it to some 'working' folder), but that makes sense.

It's not all files that are having issues - I have discovered that many recently downloaded M4V files work perfectly, and some old ones. It's not universal, but it also isn't limited to AVI files only.

• 7. Re: .AVI Import Issues, PE 7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I should be able to uninstall this CODEC, correct? Would that repair any problems that might be occurring?

Uninstall should be easy from Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Reboot and all should be fine.

So assets cannot be transferred between projects? In the Organizer tab, I am able to filter by albums (which are projects). I have been able to use files that I uploaded to other projects in the past, by dragging them from this window. At this point, I am unable because many files, when not uploaded for the specific project which I am working on, will give me the incompabibility error. Is this not supposed to be possible/ am I breaking anything by doing that?

Well a bit of yes, and a bunch of no. The Projects/Albums in Organizer list the files used in those Projects. To get them into a new one, you need to drag them to the Project Panel, or use one of the other methods to do the exact same thing. This, in effect, will Import them into the new Project, so that they are linked to in, within the .PREL. Then, you can drag from the Project Panel (note that depending on your display, it can look a lot like Organizer, but is different) to your Timeline, or Sceneline.

I was under the impression that it was literally importing the file (moving it to some 'working' folder), but that makes sense.

Many users are confused by this. The common assumption is that the AV files, stills, etc. are actually part of the PREL, while they are not. Many have just done a Save, and then found that they could not "play" the PREL in WMP, VLC, etc.. The reason is that the PREL has zero media in it. Only a text editor, PrE, or many versions of PrPro, can do anything with those files. To see what's inside one, just choose Open from NotePad, and choose All Files and navigate to where you have a PREL. Look at what you get and you'll see that it's somewhat logical lines of text. Most of it can be read, though there are many XML character strings, etc. Now, pick a small AV file and do the same thing. If it will Open at all, you will likely see tons of what appear to be random characters - the actual code of the AV file.

The one exception to the above comments is your Titles. They ARE included in the PREL. They do not exist outside of it, unless you Save one, where it will be written as a .PRTL file, that only PrE and PrPro can Open. It is exactly the same thing for the PRPROJ files in PrPro. Going back to the pre-Pro days, the Titles were first in the TilteDeko format, and then as separate PRTL's, but with PrPro 1.0, IIRC, they were incorporated into the PRPROJ file. Just a little background.

Most of all, good luck, and let us know how things go.

Hunt