4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2007 2:18 PM by jhutchdublin

.net - C# or VB?

nathans77 Level 1
      I was wondering, what is more popular between ASP.NET's C# and VB languages? Also, what do employers prefer, C# or VB?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: .net - C# or VB?
          z7server Level 1
          Hi,
          for me it is C#,
          Titti

http://textures.z7server.com/
          • 2. Re: .net - C# or VB?
            Level 7
            "Nathan1977" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fbd2r7$2t1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I was wondering, what is more popular between ASP.NET's C# and VB
            >languages? Also, what do employers prefer, C# or VB?
            >

It highly depends, I've worked for people that preferred C# and for people
            that preferred VB.NET, these proferences were usually not based on actual
            experience with the language but on past experience with another language,
            for example people with Visual Basic (pre .NET) experience preferred VB.NET
            without actually knowing anything about the language, as VB.NET is not
            compatible with earlier versions of .NET, in the end we had to rewrite the
            whole application.

VB.NET is usually more readable to the untrained eye because it resembles
            the English language. That said, in my experience VB usually requires a bit
            more keystrokes to get the same task done.

C#
            if(true){
            // do something
            }

VB.NET
            If(True) Then
            ' do something
            End If

A complaint I've heard many times in the Classic VB groups is that VB.NET
            isn't Visual Basic but a basic-like dialect of C#.

There are tools that can convert your code from C# to VB.NET, for example in
            addition to Dreamweaver for Design and Layout, for .NET coding i've used
            the opensource .NET IDE SharpDevelop (www.icsharpcode.com) that supports
            both C# and VB.NET (and other languages), and conversion between the two.

In the end I prefer C# but that's because I'm working more in the "curly
            brace" family of languages lately.

Joris

• 3. Re: .net - C# or VB?
              Level 7
              Last I looked, C# enjoyed an advantage in popularity (about 60-40), but
              generally any examples you find will be for VB.NET and C#.
              As far as employers, they prefer the one their app is written in. ;)

"Nathan1977" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fbd2r7$2t1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I was wondering, what is more popular between ASP.NET's C# and VB
              >languages? Also, what do employers prefer, C# or VB?
              >
              > Thanks

• 4. Re: .net - C# or VB?
                jhutchdublin Level 1
                C# is the one employers look to more often. It's also the one that get paid more. There are some compilation difference between the two.

However, VB.NET is easier to learn - it's more English orientated