10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 8:35 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!

pixelwrangler Level 1

Hello. Trying to export simple small AVI file to Quicktime. Premiere Pro 2.0, Windows XP, etc.

1st two attempts: Export/Adobe Media Encoder, chose Quicktime format. Encountered some kind of problem, error: Invalid profile file!  I think this is an audio issue, but not sure yet.

Subsequent attempts: Export/AME will not open - nothing happens when I use this menu sequence. Tried exiting Premiere, retried, same result.

Ideas?

TIA

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

It sounds like AME got smurfed.

I'd do a Repair Install, and let it repair, replace or add back files that might have been corrupted, broken or lost.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!
            pixelwrangler Level 1

Thanks, Bill. I did the repair install from the DVD and rebooted.

Tried the same thing: same problem, AME won't open.

I hadn't done anything to the project file at all - just tried to export. I also attempted the Export with a new project, imported different AVI file, same problem when trying to export.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Can you replicate that when using anything else than QuiRckTime? For instance MPEG2-DVD or MS DV AVI.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!
                pixelwrangler Level 1

No, I was going to try that, but the current problem is that I can't get the AME window to open at all (nothing happens when I click on Export/Adobe Media Encoder) so I have no way to try other export choices or settings.

I had used the AME export path to export the same project in WMV format without any problem.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

That is an indication that Bill may be right.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, thanks for trying.

There were no updates (to my knowledge) for PrPro 2.0, so that should not be an issue.

Next, and even an uninstall/reinstall will not address this - trash your Prefs file. Now, the process differs by Adobe products, but I think that PrPro will reset these, if you hold down Shift, and continue to hold it down when you launch PrPro. If that is not it, then I'd try holding down Ctrl. I wish that Adobe was common with this, across all products. PS is Shift+Ctrl+Alt, while launching.

One can also find the Prefs file in Documents & Settings/[User Name]/Application Settings/Adobe/Premiere Pro 2.0/2.0, IIRC (will go check on my XP machine and report back). The Prefs file can be Renamed to say Adobe Premiere Pro.Prefs_old. PrPro will regenerate this file upon launch. You WILL need to go into Edit>Preferences and reset things, as they will be set to the default.

Back in a moment,

Hunt

[Edit] Here is my Path: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Pro\2.0. The file is: Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs. Change that to Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs_Old, or Move it elsewhere, say to an "Old Prefs" folder.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!
                      pixelwrangler Level 1

Well, I managed to locate both the Premiere Pro and AME prefs files, renamed them each to something else, and restarted.

No change - still can't get AME to open.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, it is starting to sound like you will need to Deactivate (Important), uninstall (do not recall any Adobe Clean Script for CS2/2.0, but you might want to check), run CCleaner, or similar, and then do a reinstall. I was trying to keep from having to do that, but am out of ideas - sorry .

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!
                          pixelwrangler Level 1

Well, I bit the bullet and deactivated/uninstalled/CCleaner/reinstalled. Fixed, at least for now!

Do you have any idea how AME got trashed? I only really use Premiere to convert videos for the Web - minimal editing, lots of tinkering with export settings. I sure hope this reinstall procedure doesn't become a habit! Thinking of upgrading to Premiere Pro CS4, though.

Thanks again!

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro 2.0 - AME Won't open!
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Fixed, at least for now!

That is great news!

Not sure what mucked up AME. I use it for Export of AC3 DD 5.1 SS almost daily and in four years, it's always performed well. To date, I have never had an issue (knocking on wood).

I'd think back to that initial error message, as there might be a clue there. Some have had AME (in CS4) fail to load after a crash, but you did not encounter a crash, just an error.

Let's hope that whatever caused the issue has been exorcised from the system (I hear the first few notes of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells here... ).

Good luck,

Hunt