5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 8:32 AM by Colin Brougham

How useful is Adobe Dynamic Link???

pengh Level 1

So I want to start using this dynamic link. I already own Premiere CS4 and use After Effects 7.0. In order to use the link i have to purchase the whole suite (upgrade) for $1,100 - I called adobe. The only program I want to purchase is After Effect CS4 and that will cost $299.Why don't they offer the dynamic link without having to buy the whole suite? I own CS2 for PS, InDesign and Illustrator so I don't see the need to purchase the whole suite. Is it worth it to spend $1,100? Anyone else use the new suite???

• 1. Re: How useful is Adobe Dynamic Link???
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Why don't they offer the dynamic link without having to buy the whole suite?

I think you just answered that question

I like Dynamic Link, and use if frequently, but it's far from perfect. On some of the spot work I do, though, it saves hours of work because I don't have to do the render/import dance between AE and PPro, and I can quickly change animations and comps for my most fickle clients. It flakes out now and then, but all in all, I think it's a great benefit. If you don't mind doing it "the old way" or the way that every other NLE has to when it comes to working with AE comps, than don't worry about it. And if that's the case, you may as well just wait until CS5.

• 2. Re: How useful is Adobe Dynamic Link???
            pengh Level 1

Thanks... yeah i don't really mind working the "old way" especially with this new machine that is shipping in the mail. It's suppose to render drastically faster then my current workstation, so I guess we'll see. I think i'll get the new AE and wait till later

• 3. Re: How useful is Adobe Dynamic Link???
              jpw21683 Level 1
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

pengh wrote:

Thanks... yeah i don't really mind working the "old way" especially with this new machine that is shipping in the mail. It's suppose to render drastically faster then my current workstation, so I guess we'll see. I think i'll get the new AE and wait till later

This is your best bet for now.

In theory, Dynamic Link would be great.  But a Dynamic Linked After Effects comp in a Premiere timeline won't play back in anything close to real-time, which makes it very difficult to work with.  So I still render out from AE at the highest quality I can, then import the rendered file into Premiere.

Hopefully Dynamic Link in CS5 will be usable, utilizing GPU-acceleration.

• 4. Re: How useful is Adobe Dynamic Link???
                Shane P Level 3

I have the CS4 Master Collection and I use Dynamic Link primarily from AE to PPro. I have dozens of PPRO projects that have AE comps as my watermark on my video. Its fantastic to just toggle back to AE and make a quick change and toggle back to PPRO and everything is updated. Love just having to render once and not the "old way".

It is definitely flakey from time to time and in some cases I just said srew it and wound up rendering files from AE just so I could get a project done on time and didnt have to fight with it.

It is fantastic not having to manage a bunch of rendered AE comps and have them eating up HD space.

If (and its a BIG "IF") Adobe can perfect Dynamic Link in CS5, im my opinion it will be the single best killer feature. Hell I'd upgrade to CS5 just for improved Dynamic Link.

• 5. Re: How useful is Adobe Dynamic Link???
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

That's pretty much my experience, and my feeling as well. What I'd love to see is a "Render and Replace" feature for DL'ed AE comps when they're used in a PPro sequence, similar to the way that audio works with Soundbooth, or the way that Encore has the "Transcode Now"/"Revert to Original" capability. In other words, I'd like to be able to render my AE comp when I've got it tweaked the way I want, but then still have the ability to revert to the original DL'ed comp if I needed to. Adobe already provides this capability if you render out a movie from AE--you drop that rendered clip in PPro, and then use Ctrl+E to "Edit Original" and it opens up the comp in AE. Add this to Dynamic Link, and you've got a winner...