16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 3:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Random Squares all over my video.

NotAvailable99

Premiere Pro CS3

>>  Newbie...

Hello,

>>  There are random squares that pop-up all throughout my video.  What is this??

>>>>  More importantly, how do I fix it...??  -- or I can't and it is there to stay??

Thank you!

video_squares.jpg

• 1. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some reading... start with

How to ask a question http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 2. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
            NotAvailable99 Level 1

Hi John,

I will go check out the correct protocol, to post a question...   Sorry -- as I thought I was pretty succinct in my inquiry...

>>  If it helps, this video came as an MPEG2, from a third party...  I wish I had the original, to be able to encoded it myself.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Random Squares all over my video.

You need to provide computer DETAILS and software DETAILS and video file DETAILS for anyone to help

Now that you've said MPEG, I can say you should go to my notes page

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

and click on the link about trying to edit compressed files

Read the information and all the links I provide... then find a converter you like and convert to DV AVI type 2 with 16bit 48khz sound

• 4. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

What we will need will be:

The specs. of the MPEG source files. The free utility, G-Spot will get you the full details. This ARTICLE will give you some background on wrappers, like MPEG, AVI, MOV and WMV, and tell you how to "peek" inside those wrappers for the necessary info.

The Project/Sequence Preset used. Should match the source footage 100%.

The computer specs., especially the video card and driver version.

Where are you seeing this display - Program Monitor, or in the Exported AV file?

That info will help us narrow things down quite a bit.

Good luck, and we'll be looking for the details,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                  NotAvailable99 Level 1

Thank you, Hunt...

>>  The Project/Sequence Preset used. Should match the source footage 100%.

>>  Yes -- 100%

>>  The computer specs., especially the video card and driver version.
                        >>  (see below)

>>  Where are you seeing this display - Program Monitor, or in the Exported AV file?
                        >>  I'm seeing it on the monitor and the Monitor and Exported AVI

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. The codecs used in your source clips (use the FREE GSpot or MediaInfo to determine the codec)

seattle_analyzed.jpg

2.  Premiere Pro

Version number

Installation language

Updates applied

Project/sequence settings

3..  Operating System

Name

Update/patch level

Installed language

Display resolution and color depth.

4.  CPU type and speed

5.  Amount of memory (RAM)

6.  Video card

Manufacturer

Model

Driver version

7.  Number of monitors (displays) in use

8.  Audio card

Manufacturer     

Model

Driver version

•   9.  Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining

Disk setup (partitions used, raid configuration, what is where for OS/projects/media/scratch/audio)

• 10.  Hardware capture device

Manufacturer

Model

Driver version number

11. Capture software

Name

Company

Version

12.  Comprehensive list of third-party plug-ins you installed.

13.  Exact text of any error messages

14.  Explain clearly what you want to do, what you are doing and what the result is

15.  Be sure to mention if it is something that worked before using the same procedure

16.  Very importantly: Post details of troubleshooting you have already done to avoid "did that" reponses to questions people ask when trying to help.

• 6. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you are seeing this in both the Source Monitor and the Program Monitor in PrPro, plus in the Exported AVI. That means that it is not just a display issue in CS3.

When you play your source MPEG-2 in a program, like VLC, does it play correctly?

On another note, the Audio is AC3. Are you getting the Audio, when you Import? If not, you can locate the AC3 .dll file (I do not recall the exact name for CS3) in Encore, and Copy it to your main PrPro CS3 folder, and it should Import AC3 Audio.

Now, provided that the MPEG-2 plays without issue in VLC (or MediaPlayer Classic HC, or GOM), there must be something in the internal conversion from MPEG-2 GOP structure to DV-AVI Type II in PrPro. I would recommend doing an external conversion. I use a shareware utility, DigitalMedia Converter, but many sing the praises of a freeware converter, Prism, for doing this. You will want to use a setting to output a DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. Test that in VLC, and study for degradation. If all is OK, then just Import that AVI into PrPro and edit it.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have never used Prism, so cannot directly comment, but it does get good reviews.

• 7. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                      Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I have seen this a couple of times. Once when we were doing a live show record.  The little gallictulars were recorded right into the captured video.  Fortunately, we had a back-up recording that was clean.  Don't really know for sure what caused this.  The computer's budget motherboard?  Perhaps the chipset was not capable of keeping pace with the data record rate.  Just a guess.  The second time I saw this was when I played a DV cam tape in our Sony DSR-11 deck.  I freaked because it was our only copy.  Fortunately the cause was a dirty play head or whatever you call it.  Once I ran a cleaner tape, the little grundulars disappeared.

• 8. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                        NotAvailable99 Level 1

MORE INFO...

Thank you...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

sys_info.jpg

• 9. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the info.

Many have had issues with the Intel embedded video chip and its drivers (or lack of updated drivers). Even if VLC plays things properly on that system, one must remember that NLE programs, like PrPro will interface with the video card's/chip's driver, than will a simple player, as they need to also edit that footage, not just play it.

I would update the Intel driver, provided that there is a newer one available (unlikely by the reports of others).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                            NotAvailable99 Level 1

Hello Hunt,

>>  When you play your source MPEG-2 in a program, like VLC, does it play correctly?

>>>>  No, it does not play correctly in VLC.

>>>>  Note:  The rectangle lines happen during large flashes on a mirror ball (this was at a concert)...

>>>>  I'm starting to think that the bright flashes just over-rode the camera's ability to process what was coming in.

>>>>  This was 1997, so early in the era of digital cameras.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>  I will try an external conversion, with the programs you suggested.

>>  Thanks so much for your help!

• 11. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

>>>>  No, it does not play correctly in VLC.

>>>>  Note:  The rectangle lines happen during large flashes on a mirror ball (this was at a concert)...

OK, that traces it back to the source footage. What you likely have is Lens Flare, and the spectral light source is reflecting off of lens elements, probably a bit in the lens barrel (though it is matte black), and maybe reflecting off the sensor in the camera. The MPEG encoding does not help and probably heavily contributed to the final look.

Unless a reshoot is in the budget, I'd try to incorporate it into the aesthetics of the footage, like an Effect. Matter of fact, I might even go so far as to add an Effect, like Glitter from ProDAD's Vitascene, and position the "points of light" over some of those. Yeah, that might not be what you wanted initially, but it can get down to a "lemonade from lemons" situation.

I cannot think of any Effect to attenuate, or eliminate those.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added ProDAD Vitascene link

• 12. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                                NotAvailable99 Level 1

Thanks Chuck,

I'm thinking it is exactly what you mentioned.

>>  The camcorder couldn't keep pace with the flashes of light...

>>  ho-hum...  I'll do some research and maybe somebody has made a plugin to correct this exact problem.

• 13. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                                  NotAvailable99 Level 1

Well Hunt, it was a U2 concert and unless I can get the "boys" back together to replay their 1997 Popmart Show, we are out of luck...

LOL

>>  Thankfully this is a 2-cam mix and I masked the worst of the problem, by going to the other angle.

If you are interested in watching...  Here are the most current versions of said DVDs

www.u2.st/gsdvd1.html

www.u2.st/gsdvd2.html  (the one with the problems).

• 14. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    it was a U2 concert and unless I can get the "boys" back together to replay their 1997 Popmart Show, we are out of luck...

I suspected similar, and that is why I did not go with "Hey, just re-shoot it!!!" line.

Considering a concert, then you have a broad artistic palette to work from. All sorts of effects were probably in play, so who knows what was being used at that moment. You might want to poke around Vitascene, as it has a lot of Effects, that might prove useful. A lot do not apply to my normal stuff, but I'm not shooting concerts. I can imagine that you'd find more of use in the presets, than I do. I normally will apply these to Titles, especially 3D Title footage.

Good luck, and at least we got to the source.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Random Squares all over my video.

>On another note, the Audio is AC3. Are you getting the Audio, when you Import? If not, you can locate the AC3 .dll file

To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory

I do not know if the dll name is the same for CS4 users

• 16. Re: Random Squares all over my video.
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Thanks. I knew the name for PrPro 2.0, but it changed with CS3, and last time that told someone to use the file with the "similar" name, they got highly confused. I stopped listing the name, except for PrPro 2.0, because of that.

When CS4 hit, many tried this trick, and reported failure. With about the CS4.1 update, full AC3 support was added - or maybe it was CS4.2 - I forget. Now, with the latest updates for CS4, the point is mercifully moot. Not sure why the trick did not work in the initial release of CS4, and why the support was omitted then. Luckily, Adobe just took care of the issue.

Appreciated,

Hunt