6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 7:18 PM by Paul Dismer

Frame issues in DSL

Paul Dismer

I'm hosting a church website.  I've created the site in Dreamweaver using frames - top, bottom and 3 center sections.  I've validated it with DW, and checked for Browser compatibility - no issues.   The vast majority of visitors have no problems viewing our site, but we're starting to get feedback from DSL users and those accessing the site via AOL that the info on the left frame (our left side navigation bar) appears in the center of the screen.  Any suggestions (other than getting rid of frames) to correct this issue? 

http://crossoflifelutheran.org/

• 1. Re: Frame issues in DSL
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm... I am on a network connection which shares a T3 line, and I am using IE8, and the screen is messed up

What browser are you using while developing?

• 2. Re: Frame issues in DSL
            Paul Dismer Level 1

The pages were developed in Safari (Apple)... Using DW, I view them in both Safari and Opera before I post.  Once posted I review the posted pages on

Vista and windows xp with our alternate equipment.  We are on Comcast Cable... 

so .. the issue is bigger than DSL... 

• 3. Re: Frame issues in DSL
              bregent Most Valuable Participant

>I've created the site in Dreamweaver using frames - top, bottom and 3 center sections.

OK, you've lost me. The site in your link is not using frames. Did you post the correct url?

>we're starting to get feedback from DSL users and those accessing

>the site via AOL that the info on the left frame (our left side navigation bar)

>appears in the center of the screen.

I seriously doubt the speed of the connection is affecting the layout. Most likely it is related to the browser they are using.

• 4. Re: Frame issues in DSL
                Paul Dismer Level 1

pages were developed in Safari V4.

our other machines run IE8 and display without issue.

• 5. Re: Frame issues in DSL
                  whattevva Level 2

Hi bregent is correct - there are no frames in the site (which would normally have been my first suggestion to eliminate). The site viewed fine for me in IE 8, FIrefox Safari and Netscape 8. I don't have AOL, (thankfully), but in IE6 it replicated the problem you're experiencing... the side navigation bar was centered and overlaying the main content. I noticed in  your code you have a conditional statement to correct for IE5 - you may need a separate one for 6 as well. Your site is built with css - so the answer is in there... possibly requires a "float left " in the side navigation, or something along those lines. Alternatively, you could build the two columns with a table if you're uncomfortable with adjusting the css.

*Note: I know I will be bombarded with naysayers who are fully against the use of tables - I too try as often as possible not to use, but if you're looking for a quick and painless solution that still works across all browsers, this is still a viable alternative for now... and you can still use css to style and format the text, links and imagery within the table cells...

Hope that helps,

Jesse

• 6. Re: Frame issues in DSL
                    Paul Dismer Level 1

Thanks folks.  This gives me a direction to work on.  I appreciate the help.