10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 6:47 PM by the_wine_snob

DVD burned in Premiere Elements 4 freezes on playback

ReeltoReelTreasures Level 1

I have a Dell with Windows Vista Home Premium and I use Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 for video editing.  Recently, I've encounterd a problem with my burned DVDs freezing during playback, especially near menu markers, on a variety of stand alone DVD players.

I've been searching various forums to find a solution.  I was told it was a problem with cheap media so I've tried various name brands on the DVDs with no cure.  I was told to reduce the burn speed on the DVD recorder, but  I have no idea how to change the burn speed on the DVD recorder  I was also told to burn the project to a DVD folder and then import it into the software thant came with the DVD recorder.  I burned the PE4 project to a DVD folder but can't figure out how to open it in Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 in order to try a different burning software.

So how do I change burn speed on the PC's DVD recorder?  How do I open the PE4 project in Roxio?  Can anyone recommend another solution?

Message was edited by: ReeltoReelTreasures

• 1. Re: DVD burned in Premier Elements 4 freezes on playback
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Which brands of media did you try? Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the highly recommended brands.

As for the burn speed, PrE will not let you alter that. It is determined by an average of your blank media's speed and your burner's max. speed. For this reason, I recommend buying a slower speed blank media.

Now, the workaround to this is Burn to Folder, and use the free burning utility, ImgBurn, to do the physical Burning to disc. There, you can alter the burning speed, and I'd go with about one-half of the max., that ImgBurn reports.

Also note: no DVD set-top player is certified to play ANY burned disc, but only replicated, i.e. commercial, discs. Most will, if everything is done properly, but some just will not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: DVD burned in Premier Elements 4 freezes on playback
            Ed.Macke Level 3

I'm sure others will jump in, but for the time-being...

I was told it was a problem with cheap media so I've tried various name brands on the DVDs with no cure.

Unfortunately, name brands don't really help. The best brand, IMHO, is Taiyo-Yuden. You'll probably have to buy it off the internets - I haven't found a brick-and-mortar store that carries them. Watch out for fakes. The best "name brand" store is Verbatim. Anything else (incl. Memorex, JVC, Sony)... well... caveat emptor!

I read once that "Made in Japan" DVDs were, generally speaking, a better bet, but I haven't found any "Made in Japan" name brand DVDs in years.

I was told to reduce the burn speed on the DVD recorder, but  I have no idea how to change the burn speed on the DVD recorder  I was also told to burn the project to a DVD folder and then import it into the software thant came with the DVD recorder.

There's a free download called ImgBurn that is fantastic. One of the things it does is allow you to specify the speed of the burn. As a rule of thumb, I always use the slowest available (I think that's 2.4x on my burner). I'd rather wait a few extra minutes than end up with another coaster. I don't know if Roxio software has the ability to change the burn speed - I'd be surprised if it didn't. It's usually under some Write Options tab or something. BTW, PRE will not let you specify the speed.

how to open it [the PRE project] in Roxio Easy Media Creator 9

You don't open the the PRE project in Roxio.  You would tell Roxio (or ImgBurn or whatever) that you want to burn a Video DVD, then tell it that the source files are in the VIDEO_TS folder that PRE created. (The VIDEO_TS folder will be a subfolder of whatever you specified in the PRE "Burn to Folder" panel).

Can anyone recommend another solution?

Burning to a folder is probably the best solution, IMO. You're definitely on the right path. Using "Burn to Folder", ImgBurn, and Taiyo-Yuden (TY) blank media, I've never (knock wood) burned a coaster or had playback problems.

Having said that, not sure if that will solve your problems, but it will definitely rule out some likely problems. Just out of curiosity, does the movie always freeze at the same point? In other words, if you've burned 3 DVDs, does it always freeze at the same point on every DVD on every player, or is it more random?

• 3. Re: DVD burned in Premier Elements 4 freezes on playback
              Ed.Macke Level 3

Dang-it, Hunt. Beat me again!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I always buy the 8X TY media, even though 16X is available. I think it's supposed to be more reliable, and I'm always burning at 2X anyway...

• 4. Re: DVD burned in Premier Elements 4 freezes on playback
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

"Some days the man eats the bear, and some days, the bear eats the man..." Chief Dan George?

I can attest 100% success with Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden blanks, and that's now over 1500 discs delivered. I happen to use only Verbatim for DL (DVD-9's) and Taiyo Yuden for all my DVD-5's. I first test all commercial Projects with DVD RW discs, and a pack of 10 has lasted me for many years. Some have probably been used several dozen times. Now: NEVER use DVD RW as a delivery format. Many DVD players just will not touch them. All of my test units do (test on everything from a bargain-store cheapie to an all-in-on, to several esoteric ultra-high-end units), and they will, but others will not.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] One source attributes a similar statement to Ian Matthews, but I could swear that Chief Dan George uttered it, when I heard it first?

• 5. Re: DVD burned in Premiere Elements 4 freezes on playback

But if I only use the files in the Video_TS folder won't I loose the markers and the menus that were set up in the PE4 project?

• 6. Re: DVD burned in Premiere Elements 4 freezes on playback
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

They are included in the VIDEO_TS files, Reel.

• 7. Re: DVD burned in Premiere Elements 4 freezes on playback
                      Kodebuster Level 3

Don't discount any of the posted suggestions, but I work with VOB type files often, and here's what I found works best (for me any way).

When and if at all possible, always convert VOB type files to DV-AVI, then import this into PE for editing.

First you need to combine all the VOB's off of one DVD disc into one large VOB file.

This will eliminate the OOS (out-of-sync) issues you are seeing between audio and video.

View this link for details:

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2469

Once combined, then use Prism to convert the single VOB into the DV-AVI format.

Use this FAQ link for Prism or Win Movie Maker convert options:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

I have found large VOB and MPG files to be a challenge to work with within PE, but once converted via the method described, PE is very stabile and the editing experience goes up an order of magnatude.

Convert the VOB's, trust me on this one...

• 8. Re: DVD burned in Premiere Elements 4 freezes on playback
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some background on the building blocks of DVD-Video, the VOB's. Now, the article's thrust is going FROM DVD-Video to editing, but the background might be useful.

Your Menus and all navigation are enclosed in the first VOB, along with the first part of the MPEG-2 AV file. The other VOB's contain all the other pieces of that file. The VOB is just a container, and as you can see here, can contain all sorts of stuff.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: DVD burned in Premiere Elements 4 freezes on playback

Your messages and advice are great!  I can't begin to tell you how well you have clarified the whole process for me.  I've downloaded the ImgBurn software and have successfully burned my first DVD.  I'll probably switch to Verbatim discs as soon as I use up the TDK's I've got.  So far, they seem to work better than the Maxell's I started with.   I'll also read the thread you've enclosed.  This whole forum thing really paid off for me.  Thanks

• 10. Re: DVD burned in Premiere Elements 4 freezes on playback
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the kind words. We spend time here to help others, and you have made my evening, here in the High Sonoran Desert!

Going to your media. TDK was once a respected producer of blank media. I used them often, going back to the earliest days of burnable CD's. Over time, they adopted the "Memorex business model" - buy the cheapest media from whomever, and then emboss your logo. Same seems to have happened to Ritek. I know the Maxell name, having used their tapes from the old reel-to-reel days, but have never used their DVD blank media. Do not know the quality. So far, both Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are at the top of the heap. I use the T-Y's for DVD-5's and the Verbatims for all DVD-9's (DL), and have never had one failure. I'm up to about 1600 delivered discs, so that is not bad.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes,

Hunt