3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 10:05 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Photo Downloader stopped working; can't import from a DVD?

Varleyhall Level 1

I use Premiere Elements 4 (loaded with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6) on Windows Vista.

When I attempt to import video from a DVD (via Get Media > DVD import) I am unable to do so and the message

ADOBE PHOTO DOWNLOADER HAS STOPPED WORKING is produced by Windows.

I would value any help with this problem!

Many thanks, Don Varleyhall

• 1. Re: Adobe Photo Downloader stopped working; can't import from a DVD?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

This could be an issue with the particular DVD that you are attempting to rip. Some work fine, but others will not. This is usually due to the Menus and navigation included in the first VOB.

Also, if you are trying to rip from a commercial DVD-Video, then you could have problems with the Copy Protection applied. There are several schemes, and the error messages and problems can differ.

Can you tell us more about this DVD-Video?

This ARTICLE will give you some background on VOB's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adobe Photo Downloader stopped working; can't import from a DVD?
            Varleyhall Level 1

I'm attempting to import a video from a DVD-video produced on Elements 4 BUT it does have a fairly complex Menu. It is an amateur produced DVD.

Thanks for your help and I'll research the link you kindly provided

Don

• 3. Re: Adobe Photo Downloader stopped working; can't import from a DVD?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, if it was produced in an Adobe program, then it should be 100% DVD-compliant. The menuing structure should not be an issue, as it can with other programs (Roxio and Nero come to mind), or from a DVR-DVD unit. I have never seen one of those that did a DVD-compliant disc.

This might point to something else going on.

As a test, grab, or create a short Project in PrE with Menus, and then Burn it to Disc. Test this back in PrE, and see if it behaves exactly the same way. If not, then something might be odd with your first disc, or there could be some other issue. If the Importer fails again, I'd think about doing a Repair Install.

If the test works, the first thing that I would do would be to Copy your DVD-Video. One can use the free burning utility, ImgBurn to do this, if they do not have Roxio, Nero or some other DVD Copy utility.

As a thought, there are a lot of other programs, that can get in the way of many operations in PrE. You might find some tips on setting up your computer for an editing session, in this ARTICLE. Then, test with your DVD again.

Good luck,

Hunt