9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2015 5:54 AM by slatchley2

Drawing a Target

Harry184297 Level 1

I appreciate that this is probably a pathetically simple task but Im completely new to Illustrator and its driving me nuts! Im trying to draw an image of a black and white Target. What is the easiest way to do this? I have been drawing a series of black circles using the Elipse Tool (with a stroke but no fill) and leaving a gap to suggest the white areas. But I can't work out how to make the spacing regular so that the black and white 'lines' in the symbol are all the same thickness and perfectly centred.

• 1. Re: Drawing a Target
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Harry,

It sounds like concentric circles with Stroke Weights equalling the difference in size between neighbouring circles.

You may:

1) Create a circle with the largest/smallest size and set the Stroke Weight to the desired difference in size between neighbouring circles;

2) Copy and Paste in Front (or back) and change the size to the other extreme (a number of times the Stroke Weight);

3) Object>Blend>Options, set the number of steps to the number of intermediate circles, Object>Blend>Make, and Object>Blend>Expand and ungroup if desired.

Or you may start with one circle as in 1) and then Copy and Paste in Front and increase the size by the Stroke Weight (you can do that through the Transform palette/panel by adding it to (or subtracting it from) the W or H value and pressing Ctrl/Cmd Enter, just add + (or -) at the end in the box and then the amount; this may be repeated till you have enough.

• 2. Re: Drawing a Target
            ecole7

I would draw the circles using the elipse tool: click on the tool, click on the document, enter the size circle you want (let's say 3 inches)

Then do the same thing over with equal increments (let's say 1/2 inch)

So you'll draw circles that are 3 inch, 2.5 inch, 2 inch, 1.5 inch, 1 inch, and .5 inch

Select all of the circles and use the align palette to center them horizontally & vertically

While all of the circles are selected, change the stroke to your desired width

Of course, the size/increment you choose will have to be relevant to how many "rings" you want on the finished piece.

• 3. Re: Drawing a Target
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

you can do it that way probably the recommended way or you can just add new strokes to a circle and give the strokes offsets. The advantage to this method is you can add strokes and remove them and you can turn them on and off one at a time or several or all of them and you can have different colors or all the same color without destroying the art.

CS 4 has the ability to turn on and off any effect or stroke or fill.

• 4. Re: Drawing a Target
                jay fresno Level 1

Wade,

How did you calculate the correct numbers for each offset amount?

• 5. Re: Drawing a Target
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The first ellipse (bullseye) is say 72 pts (1 inch) with a white stroke of half that 36 pts (1/2 inch) I then align the white stroke to the outside of the ellipse path.

Then I add a new stroke and make it black and align it to the outside of the path

and give it an offset of !/2 inch (36 pts) which is the weight of the first stroke align with the inside of the stroke touching the path. That is the stroke is align on the outside of the path. Sounds confusing but if you think about it is not.

So we now have a solid black core a white ring and a black ring.

Add another stroke align it to the outside of the path (the preview will look like it is not working but it is working) and this time give it an offset of 1 inch.

It will look like you have the same three original rings unless you put a color object behind.

now add another stroke and give it a color of black and align that to the outside of the path

Now give that an offset of 1.5 inches (108 pts) and you will now see the new black ring and the previously white ring you made.

And you keep adding a stroke align to outside and add a half inch to the previous offset.

Screen shot 2010-02-17 at 9.58.53 PM.png

And you can go crazy with the colors. And it is all one path.

Screen shot 2010-02-17 at 9.59.36 PM.png

• 6. Re: Drawing a Target
                    jay fresno Level 1

Thanks for the explanation, Wade!

• 7. Re: Drawing a Target
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You're welcome.

But it is possible this might not suit the OP at this stage of the game for them.

I am curious as to what they mark as an answer that serves their purposes, I think that it is important that the user relate to the technique.

I woud think one of the two previous approaches might suit them.

• 8. Re: Drawing a Target
                        JETalmage Level 6

1. Polar Grid tool: Click (don't drag).

2. In the resulting dialog, enter the desired diameter for both width and height. Concentric dividers: 5. Radial dividers: 0. Skew: 0. Turn on the Make Compound Path from Concentric Dividers checkbox. Turn on the Fill Grid checkbox.

3. Click OK.

JET

• 9. Re: Drawing a Target
                          slatchley2

Wow! JETalmage. That makes it easy. This is my choice for drawing a target