6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 5:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Blurry still images

Flashback Matt Level 1

I am trying to import still images into Pe8 and when I render it they are blurry I have tried sizes from 2048 x 1536 180 ppi to 720 x 540 72 ppi and they are all blurry.  I have done the converting in Photoshop 8 image>resize>image size.  Is this the right place to do this or am I missing a step? I have tried importing them as jpg, png, and psd to no avail. 

• 1. Re: Blurry still images
          nealeh Level 5

Take a look at the FAQ entry: "What resolution should my photos be in Premiere Elements?"

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Blurry still images
            the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of questions first:

1.) where are you judging the quality, the Program Monitor? If so, set its Magnification (Rt-click on it) to 100%.

2.) if the images have a red line at the top, right below the Timeline Ruler, hit Enter to Render. Is that better?

I would also use .PSD's from PSE, and not compress the images with JPEG compression, especially if they started out as JPEG. Doing the JPEG a second time is like comparing a FAX to a 1200 dpi original print copy, IMHO.

The ultimate test for quality is view on a calibrated CRT monitor. In lieu of that, burning a DVD RW (Rewritable) and playing on a CRT TV hooked to a set-top player is the next best test.

Also, the Scaling algorithms in PrE are no where as good as the resizing algorithms in PSE. Size to just what you need in PSE and do not let PrE do any Scaling, if at all possible. Unless I need to Pan on a Zoomed out image, I will go with exactly the Frame Size of the Project, and for the images, that need to be larger, I will calculate what I need, and resize to that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Blurry still images
              Flashback Matt Level 1

Thank you for your help

1.) I am judging the quality from a burned dvd playing back on my computer

2.) I did try saving as a PSD and it still look Blurry

I will trying it in a DVD player and on my TV and see if it changes anything

I will double check the setting

• 4. Re: Blurry still images
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                1.) I am judging the quality from a burned dvd playing back on my computer

This is common, as you only have DV resolution of ~ 720 x 480, and you are now viewing on a much higher-rez monitor. The same thing happens with a DVD player hooked to an HD TV. No way around it, so long as you have done your work initially, and it seems that you have by resizing in PSE/PS, and NOT in the video editor. Now, as folk go to BD and HD Projects, the images will get better. Also, as they invest in up-rezzing DVD/BD players with good scaling chips, even the DVD will look much better.

One experiment that might help would be to do a test of the Scaling algorithms from PS/PSE. I do not know PSE, but in PS, one can choose Bicubic, Bicubic Sharper and Bicubic Smoother. Depending on the subject matter, Sharper might yield better results, or maybe Smoother. I'd take one of the images, that seems to be representative of your SlideShow, and Scale three ways. Add text to each, to help you identify which is which. Do a quick Project with these, burn to a DVD RW (no more "coasters") and then test on your computer.

Also, if there is JPEG in the workflow, I'd definitely not go back to that format, as mentioned earlier.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Blurry still images
                  Flashback Matt Level 1

I have a friend looking to sale me Adobe CS3 Master Collection should I get it and would it improve my issue?

Thanks for all your help

• 6. Re: Blurry still images
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's look at this from two fronts:

1.) I love PrPro and it is my NLE of choice by a long shot. Just having Encore would be great. I could not live without it. So long as you can license and Activate that copy (it has either a license transfer, or has not been installed and used as part of an upgrade path), I'd get it in a heartbeat. Now, CS4 has upped the bar a bit, but CS3 will just be a spiffy version of my PrPro from Production Studio. I'd not hesitate, if I did not have Production Studio CS2. Also, MC contains a ton of great programs. I have them all in some earlier version, and use many often.

2.) Unfortunately, the DVD-specs. control the ultimate output. PrPro (regardless of version) cannot get around that. A 720 x 480 Project in PrE will be no better, or worse, than a 720 x 480 Project in PrPro - it's only how you get to that output, that will differ.

I think that you can see where I am going with the above. It's not like doing print work from an image from a 20MP camera vs one from a 6MP camera. You get to the same spot with the DVD-Video, it is only how you get there.

Good luck, and please let me know how your Scaling options turned out.

Hunt

PS - if your friend makes you a good deal, grab it. You will not be disappointed, even if you never use Dreamweaver or some of the others. PrPro, Encore, AE and the full PS (plus AI and InDesign) will make you very happy.