9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2010 2:34 PM by balanr

3D Crossview

balanr

How do I put 2 separate 640x480 clips on a single 1280x720 movie to have them run side by side for crossview (cross-eyed) 3D

• 1. Re: 3D Crossview
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've never heard of a cross-eyed effect before. Are you looking for something like that attached? If not, can you link us to an example on YouTube or something?

• 2. Re: 3D Crossview
            balanr Level 1

No, I am looking for something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjJOeesKYwo&feature=fvsr

I'm not sure if this link works right

• 3. Re: 3D Crossview
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would choose a Preset that gives you the 1280 x 720 Frame Size, and then basically do a PiP with the two source files. Place one on Video Track 1 and the other Video Track 2. You will need to use the Effect>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position to get the alignment that you want. You'll move one Clip to the far left-side of the Frame, and the other to the far-right of the Frame.

Now, you will end up with the 1280 x 480 (not 1280 x 720), so when you increase that 480 up to 720, remember that you will then have to crop the 2x 640 somewhat, or you will only have 1280 x 480 with black bars at the top & bottom, or the top, or bottom, if you alter the Position. This will mean in the first case, you WILL crop and loose quality, or in the second will have black bars. Your choice will depend on what you wish to end up with, and what you can live with. Unfortunately for the match to work out, you'd need 720 x 720 side-by-side.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: 3D Crossview
                balanr Level 1

Thanks Bill, that is working(so far)

• 5. Re: 3D Crossview
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This should get you most of the way there -- though you may need to tweak the settings a bit.

First, go to Edit/Preferences and ensure that Scale to Frame Size is turned off.

Then place one clip on Video 1 and the other on Video 2, directly above it.

Right-click on each and select Show Properties to open the Properties panel -- then open the Motion settings.

In the Motion settings for one clip, set Position to 170 220 and Scale to 65%.

In the Motion settings for the other clip, set Position to 550 220 and Scale to 65%.

That should get you close enough that you'll be able to tweak the positions and scaling to meet your needs.

• 6. Re: 3D Crossview
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    First, go to Edit/Preferences and ensure that Scale to Frame Size is turned off.

Steve,

Thanks for pointing that out. As I keep it off in all of my NLE's, I had not even considered its effect, should it be on, which I believe is the default.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 7. Re: 3D Crossview
                      Paul787 Level 3

balanr, if you figure out the steps for doing 3D video with the cross-eye technique, could you post your findings here? Things such as distance between the cameras and distance to subject would be appreciated. Also whether it is a technique only suitable for viewing on computer monitors or can it be ramped up and viewed on a large screen TV.

I've played around with 3D still photography for years and do most of my pictures shooting slide film on a 35mm SLR and then viewing them on a Pentax stereoscopic slide viewer. If I could learn how to do simple 3D video that would be a lot of fun.

I'll have to practise the cross-eye technique again as I've found several 3D videos on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBa-bCxsZDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1HrZmRqFqk

Thanks for posting. I wasn't even aware that cross-eye 3D video existed!

• 8. Re: 3D Crossview
                        balanr Level 1

Thanks, I actually resized them independantly(vid 1 and vid 2 on sceneline)

because my focal lengths weren't exactly the same between the 2 cameras

Bert

• 9. 3D on Youtube
                          balanr Level 1

So I followed the advice above, with a few additions. I was using 2 Pentax

W60 cameras shooting 640x480 30fps, but the outputs were quite different colour and sharpness wise. I found that if you highlight one clip, left or right, you can edit fx on that clip alone. I used auto levels to change the black level and sharpness to balance the 2 clips.Then I exported as an AVI then used quicktime to re-export as H264(cause thats easier for me) Upload to Youtube and as the last tag use yt3d:enable=true (for a crossview video) or yt3d:swap=true (for parallel view)

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3VZyAgpQE0