6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 10:00 AM by Kokopelli76

How to make buttons work in drop down movieclip in flash???

Kokopelli76 Level 1

I am trying to make an index page with buttons for a photography site.  the entire page is built in flash so far.  My question is that I have created a drop down menu that is a Movieclip with 5 buttons.  I can not seem to assign an external web page to each buttons that are under the movie clip drop down menu.   Is this a possible??   The Movie clip is run by mouse-over the word "studio Gallery" button.  This drops down the 5 gallerbuttons (Portrait, children, wedding, Artistic Babies, etc...).  In Flash 8 Pro I know I can assign an external web page named children on the main page but how do I assign these to the buttons in the drop down once the movieclip is made.  Is this where I need to use folders with extra layers in the folder to make it work??

In case you can not tell I am new to this and have been teaching my self with "Training from the Source" and also "Visual Quickstart Guide"  so go easy on me  8-)

Randy

• 1. Re: How to make buttons work in drop down movieclip in flash???
          waterdad568 Level 3

In AS3, you create event Listeners, and URLRequest functions assigned to your button instance names, if they are mc's create invisible buttons over them, and code to the instance names the same ex:

myBtn1.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, btn1Handler);

function btn1Handler (event:MouseEvent):void

{

navigateToURL (new URLRequest("http://.....");

}

• 2. Re: How to make buttons work in drop down movieclip in flash???
            Kokopelli76 Level 1

waterdad568,

Flash  Professional version 8 does not come with AS3 or at least mine

doesnt.  Is there a work around???  Or will this work in versions 1 & 2?

Thanks,

Randy

• 3. Re: How to make buttons work in drop down movieclip in flash???
              waterdad568 Level 3

In AS2 something like:

myBtn.onRelease = function() {

getURL("http://,,,,")

};

• 4. Re: How to make buttons work in drop down movieclip in flash???
                Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you should do is search Google using "AS2 drop down tutorial".  That should produce a few results that you can use to guide you thru the process.

I cannot tell clearly from your description so far, but it sounds like your movieclip contains the buttons and has a rollover assigned to it.  That rollover will block interaction with the buttons.  So your best bet is to get a hold of a tutorial that will walk you thru the process so that you can get your buttons working the way you want.

• 5. Re: How to make buttons work in drop down movieclip in flash???
                  Kokopelli76 Level 1

Ned Murphy,

Your advise was very helpful as I found the info that was very helpful

with the google search.   I still have one nagging problem, I get an

error shown below:

*Error* Scene=Scene 1, layer=Buttons, frame=1:Line 2: Mouse events are

permitted only for button instances

on (rollOver) {

Other than the difference of onrelease to on (rollOver) I see no reason

for this error

The clip works but when the mouse rolls out it does not close

the dropdown menu I have included the drop down file here also.   I will

be using this to add the resulting "swf" file to the area on my larger

fla to get the menues working but I don't want the menu to stay open

once someone rolls over it if they want to goto an other spot on the page.

I'm 53 yrs old and can not afford much more Hair pulling I will be bald

if the little stuff wins....

Thanks for the help

Randy

What you should do is search Google using "AS2 drop down tutorial".  That should produce a few results that you can use to guide you thru the process.

I cannot tell clearly from your description so far, but it sounds like your movieclip contains the buttons and has a rollover assigned to it.  That rollover will block interaction with the buttons.  So your best bet is to get a hold of a tutorial that will walk you thru the process so that you can get your buttons working the way you want.

>

• 6. Re: How to make buttons work in drop down movieclip in flash???
                    Kokopelli76 Level 1

Ned Murphy,

Oops here is the file 

Your advise was very helpful as I found the info that was very helpful

with the google search.   I still have one nagging problem, I get an

error shown below:

*Error* Scene=Scene 1, layer=Buttons, frame=1:Line 2: Mouse events are

permitted only for button instances

on (rollOver) {

Other than the difference of onrelease to on (rollOver) I see no reason

for this error

The clip works but when the mouse rolls out it does not close

the dropdown menu I have included the drop down file here also.   I will

be using this to add the resulting "swf" file to the area on my larger

fla to get the menues working but I don't want the menu to stay open

once someone rolls over it if they want to goto an other spot on the page.

I'm 53 yrs old and can not afford much more Hair pulling I will be bald

if the little stuff wins....

Thanks for the help

Randy

>