4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 11:00 AM by dr31416

allowing a threat to come as an update

ehogg12

you inc

omptent ******!!!!!!!!!!!!

how can you allow this bs? to let a malicious program install on behalf of your upgrade! should all be fired

• 1. Re: allowing a threat to come as an update
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you explain this?

BTW: This is a user to user forum.

• 2. Re: allowing a threat to come as an update
            ehogg12 Level 1

when

my wife recieved the auto notificaton for an update to adobe reader

9.0 and clicked to install it it carried with it a malware hijacker that installed a pdf file i believe... see bleepingcomputer.com thats how she fixed it.

• 3. Re: allowing a threat to come as an update
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ehogg12 wrote:

when

my wife recieved the auto notificaton for an update to adobe reader

9.0 and clicked to install it it carried with it a malware hijacker that installed a pdf file i believe... see bleepingcomputer.com thats how she fixed it.

Maybe you can give us some details instead of just sending us to a site where the issue isn't an obvious find?

What kind of notice (was it actually generated by an Adobe product)?

How did you determine something was malicious (and not a false alarm created by your AV application)?

There shouldn't have been any malicious anything if she used the automatic download. If she downloaded it from somewhere else other than Adobe, then all bets are off.

• 4. Re: allowing a threat to come as an update
                dr31416

Sounds like what happened to my boss last Friday 12/19/2010.  He got a notification of a new update from Adobe when he opened a .pdf file.  He clicked update.  He says there was a security certificate on the update.  Running the update changed a lot of core system files.  He knows this because he is running a backup program that notifies him when files are changed.  He is the head of software development here, so what he told me should be accurate.  Oddly, the .pdf file he opened was one I had just generated for him with the .pdf generating program I have used for years, which would seem to eliminate the possibility of malware in the .pdf file itself.

We had some viruses in several company computers earlier last week that seemed to be associated with the Adobe reader in some way.