7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 5:03 PM by jmparsons3

Black bars in rendered video

jmparsons3 Level 1

I am using PP CS4. I have imported HD video with dimensions of 1920 x 1080. I want the finished product to be .wmv, with the same aspect ratio and size as the source. When I launch the encoder, the size of the source shows as 1440 x 1080 and there are black bars on the sides of the image. If I try to manually resize the image, I get an "invalid frame size" error.

When I manually resize the image to eliminate the bars, the proportions are wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Black bars in rendered video
          shooternz Level 6

What exactly is your HD source ( Camera  and format info?)

Most likely to be a PAR  setting issue where it doesnt match your real source and your project setting (which presumeably do match.)

After checking the source and project settings are matching exactly.

Use the OutPUT TAB in AME then try to change the PAR and the Dimensions together.

When the OUTPUT looks the same as the Source (TAB) you should be good to go.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Black bars in rendered video
            jmparsons3 Level 1

My source is a Canon HF-10. The source dimensions are 1920x1080. Pixel aspect ratio 1.0. (I got that from the Properties of the original source).

It looks as though my Sequence settings aren't matching up with the source, and that might be the problem.

How can I determine what those Sequence settings should be?

Thanks for your help.

Joe Parsons

• 3. Re: Black bars in rendered video
              shooternz Level 6
              The source dimensions are 1920x1080. Pixel aspect ratio 1.0. (I got that from the Properties of the original source).

Match the Sequnce Settings to the above.

• 4. Re: Black bars in rendered video
                Powered by Design Level 4

If there isnt a preset with the correct setting you could always set it yourself and use the desktop setting

then just match what your source footage is.

picture075-new-sequence.jpg

This isnt for your footage but you can see where you need to change it for yours.

Enjoy:  Glenn

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Black bars in rendered video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Joe,

I do not have CS4, so am only guessing a bit here, but... in the Toolbar, go to Sequence and in the drop-down, choose Settings. You should have everything there.

Note: I am interpolating from earlier versions, where things were global to a Project. One would find those settings in the Project (Toolbar), but with CS4, one sets these at the Sequence level, hence my guess.

Hope that's where it is, but Glenn, or Craig will surely correct me, should I be wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Black bars in rendered video
                    jmparsons3 Level 1

Thank you all for your help! The problem was in my Sequence.Once I matched up the settings with the camera, most of those isss went away. Fortunately, I was able to marquis-select all the elements in the first Sequence, Copy, then Paste into the new, correct one.

I have a new problem relating to frame size, but I'll post that separately.

Thanks again for the help.

Joe Parsons

• 7. Re: Black bars in rendered video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Joe,

Glad that Craig could help, and thanks for reporting that it was the Sequence Settings.

Good luck on the next issue,

Hunt