10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 9:05 AM by salochin48

Volume control - change skin default setting?

salochin48 Level 1

Mac OSX 10.4.11 - CS4. I have a supplied video.flv that I have in Flash with a skin control and exported as video.swf and inserted into a GoLive site, all is well apart from the excessive sound. The volume controller is defaulted to max - see http://www.artdesign.org.uk/test - and I would like to reduce the default volume by about 50%. Is this possible to do in Flash before exporting the video.swf.

• 1. Re: Volume control - change skin default setting?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can assign your flvplayback instance a name and assign its volume property to be 50 (as2) or .5 (as3)

• 2. Re: Volume control - change skin default setting?
            salochin48 Level 1

Thanks for the reply but, however it is little cryptic, I have no idea how to do this and can find no reference in the Flash help. Could you expand your reply to include some instruction.

• 3. Re: Volume control - change skin default setting?

if your component's instance or reference name is flv, use:

flv.volume=.5;  // (as3)

// or

flv.volume=50;  //(as2)

• 4. Re: Volume control - change skin default setting?
                salochin48 Level 1

I am new to Flash but not to Adobe, however I am unable to understand your replies. I have been looking at the Components dialog window, the Behavior Window and generally fumbling through the program looking for a means to reduce the skin volume.

I am assuming your reply does not mean me to add the .volume=.5;  // (as3) to my doc named profile04.flv as this would change the doc format. I do appreciate your efforts to give me the information I require, but I need a more step by step instruction from when I menu/open the profile04.flv document and apply a supplied skin from Flash.

• 5. Re: Volume control - change skin default setting?

are you using an flvplayback component to play your flv?

• 6. Re: Volume control - change skin default setting?
                    salochin48 Level 1

I have a client supplied profile04.flv - I open it (via menu/open) in Flash, a dialog window presents itself where I am able to add a skin control and then I export it as profile04.swf and insert into a GoLive site, with resulting excessive sound.

Apart from the insertion into GoLive, Flash CS4 application is the only program I have used. I am unable to see a method to play the video while it is in the Flash program and can only judge the results after I have inserted it into the Golive site and viewed it with a browser. I can view the original profile04.flv using the Adobe Media Player.

The components you speak of, are they the components 'window' in Flash, if so I have not applied any. Sorry to be long winded but I unsure of the question.

• 7. Re: Volume control - change skin default setting?

open the fla in flash.  click on an empty part of the stage or off-stage.  in the properites panel, check if it says "actionscript 2.0" (as2) or "actionscript 3.0" (as3).

then click on the first frame of the main timeline and, in the actions panel, paste either the first snippet (if you found as2 using the above steps) or the 2nd snippet (if you found as3):

// first snippet

var s:Sound = new Sound(this);

s.volume=50;

//

// 2nd snippet

var s:Sound = new Sound(this);

s.volume = .5;

• 8. Re: Volume control - change skin default setting?
                        salochin48 Level 1

Thanks for the step by step, but I am still not quite there yet. The video file is not a .fla but a .flv, I am not sure how significant this is but I am having a problem. I do as you say but when I export to a .swf from the Flash program it is only 4K whereas it was previously 60k and the result after insertion into Golive is a no show in the browser. I have attached 3 images which hopefully will show where the fault is and how I should correct it.

• 9. Re: Volume control - change skin default setting?

your first picture looks like you haved one flvplayback component on stage.  the other two images look like you have two components overlapping.

remove one of the components so you only have one on stage as shown in Picture 1.png.

follow the directions in a previous message and indicate whether you're using as2 or as3.

click on an empty part of the stage and then click on your component and in the properties panel where it says <instance name>, type flv.

• 10. Re: Volume control - change skin default setting?
                            salochin48 Level 1

Picture 2 and 3 (also shows the Action 3.0 default) are the same as Picture 1 but with the components shifted to one side and with the stage coloured the same blue as the skin which is the same blue as the GoLive site page (000066) for insertion of the .swf. So essentially what I have is the stage, (coloured blue) the video opened .flv doc and the blue control skin.

I have done as you suggested adding the <instance name>, type flv. see the (see attached Picture 4) with the same no show results. I have also attached Picture 5 to show what Flash looked like after exporting to .swf

Also the .swf still comes out only as 4k.