12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 5:30 PM by markerline

Transparent Flash has black background

Mevanouski1

I have a video flash file created in Premiere Pro CS4 which I keyed out the background, exported as a FLV/F4V with an encoded alpha channel. I place the flash on a JPG in Dreamweaver CS4 and want the movie to run transparent, but I always get a black box surrounding my movie. I use the "wmode" as "transparent" in the flash dialog box, but this does not eliminate the black background around the movie. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
          markerline Level 4

JPG does not support transparency.  Use PNG file format instead.

• 2. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
            Colin Brougham Level 6

JPG does not support transparency.  Use PNG file format instead.

Try reading the question again; the OP isn't talking about transparency in a JPG file. The OP is talking about transparency in a Flash Video file.

To the OP: while your question might better be answered in either the Flash or Dreamweaver forums, one element in your question might be resolvable here. You mentioned "FLV/F4V"; which one is it? If you used FLV, you have the option of using either the Sorenson Spark codec or the On2 VP6 codec; only VP6 allows for transparency. If you used F4V, that uses the H.264 codec which does not support transparency.

So, short story is: check to see that you used FLV with On2 VP6. Also, I'm assuming you're exporting from an edited sequence in Premiere; how is your sequence set up?

• 3. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
              Mevanouski1 Level 1

I have placed the flash over PNG, GIF and JPG there is always the black box around the video. Thanks

• 4. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
                markerline Level 4

Yes but transparency is removed automatically once the Flash file gets placed on JPG as he stated in his question.

• 5. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I have placed the flash over PNG, GIF and JPG there is always the black box around the video

Just for clarification, what you are doing is using the still image as a "background," on say Video Track 1, with your FLV above it, on say Video Track 2. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
                    markerline Level 4

I am trying to replicate the OP's project with a sample project and cannot seem to get the steps that Adobe achieved in this tutorial:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS2b635625315c8bcc1e63e3d1213c6c2363-8000.html

I cannot get Custom for a Preset for exporting Flash to get the on2 VP6 mode.

• 7. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
                      Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Transparency with *.flv's works for me when I place the background on the bottom layer in the Flash program project (*.fla) and place the video on the layer above, in the Flash program project. Publish this "Flash Movie" from Flash and cut and paste the Flash code from the "Published" HTML page into either the table cell or div on your final Dreamweaver page depending upon whether you are building an "old school" table based page or a CSS based page.

If you are creating one of those "floating" over the top, Web page movies, someone in the Flash or Dreamweaver forum should be able to help you with that.

Also, in Premiere, you should be working in a "Desktop mode" sequence with "Square pixels" selected.

Here are the settings to get the flv to encode with an alpha channel:

keyed.jpg

• 8. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
                        markerline Level 4

Mr. McIntyre:  I can't get the Custom attribute to display in my Presets for FLV.  What do I need to change in Premiere to make it appear?

• 9. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
                          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I started with the preset: flv Web medium.  As soon as you click the check box to; "Encode Alpha Channel", the preset drop-down changes to "Custom".

• 10. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
                            markerline Level 4

Thanks, I'll give that a shot and let you know how it worked.

• 11. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
                              markerline Level 4

Mr. McIntyre:  Now I can't get Dreamweaver to properly show the video.  I know it's been encoded because Adobe Media Player picks up and

plays the file when I double click the icon in Windows Explorer.  But in Dreamweaver CS4 when I preview the HTML page it shows a 640x480 rectangle with an empty white background.  No player skins such as a play button and volume control.  I thought at minimum I would get the player skin for FLV Player as it's showing in Dreamweaver (the skin's not showing but the object icon is showing and it's being id'd as FLVPlayer).  What do I need to do to correct this and troubleshoot the OP's question, even though it's probably already been answered I'm now curious just for my own knowledge and well being.

• 12. Re: Transparent Flash has black background
                                markerline Level 4

Got it to work.  Seems there was a conflict with my site management in Dreamweaver so I started a site from scratch, an empty one, and saved the html in that.  I got the transparency to work partially but I see what the OP said about the black background.  I used a Title object in Premiere which has transparency built in and I also changed wmode to transparent in Dreamweaver.  However I had a pentagon shape that I created in Photoshop that I imported as a tiff and I also used a transparency effect to load that tiff file into the effect.  The result was that the pentagon had a black halo in the shape of a pentagon which was about 100px wider in radius than the original red pentagon tiff object.  After that everything was the color of my background with the exception of some white "chrome" from the FLV player.  Not sure why the tiff pentagon which has an alpha channel would have a black opaque halo.  Any ideas?  Also any clue about the white "chrome" from the FLV player?  I will upload a pic/screenshot if you're not clear on my description.