• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can i have single quotes in to or from or bcc attributes in cfmail?

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2010 Feb 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a situtation where my email id like this

ravi'kanchiraju@xxxx.com . so can cfmail is able to send email to that format of emails?

i have an issue where i am unable to send an email of that type (having single quote in email id) using cfmail.

Thank You

Ravi Kanchiraju

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have an issue where i am unable to send an email of that type (having single quote in email id) using cfmail.

How is this manifesting? What do you mean you are "unable" to send [etc]?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what i mean by i am unable to send is

the email id which i have given below

ravi'kanchiraju@xxxx.com is replaced by ravi_kanchiraju@xxx.com (single quote was replace by _ )

also

i saw these restrictions in Adobe CFMAIL Reference. So do we have satisfy these?

user@server

rsmith@company.com

<user@server>

<rsmith@company.com>

DisplayName <user@server>

Rob Smith <rsmith@company.com>

"DisplayName" <user@server>

"Rob Smith" <rsmith@company.com>

user@server (DisplayName)

rsmith@company.com (Rob Smith)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget about cfmail for a second.  Use your mail client, Outlook, Notes, whatever, to send something to an email address containing an apostrophe.   Or, go to hotmail, gmail, or something similar and try to create one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No you can't. If an email address contains a ' in its local part it is not a valid email address unless the entire local part is quoted. This is not a ColdFusion rule, this is a rule from RFC 2822 which standardises email behaviour. So avi'kanchiraju@example.com is invalid, but "avi'kanchiraju"@example.com is valid. (Not sure if it is supported by CF, but that is easy to test.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation