5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 3:55 PM by Printer_Rick

Moving from Corel Ventura into InDesign CS4 - prints dark

LizKing

My company has been using Corel Ventura for years, up to version 10.   We are now switching in InDesign CS4, but everything is printing dark.  We use it to publish black & white manuals, including some photos  & vector art.

Ventura had an essentially unmanaged color workflow -  everything was set to generic - i.e. - "Generic RGB" & "Generic  CMYK"

In Indesign, currently we are using "North American General  Purpose 2".  The files are printed to a postscript file in InDesign.   Then made into a PDF via Distiller.  The settings for the PS file &  Distiller we are using came from LightingSource.com.

I  was assuming that the problem came up in the creation of the PS file -  under Color Handling - it is set to "Let InDesign Determine Colors".  So  I took the other option & used "Let PS printer determine colors"   The pages print lighter now, but they are actually too light.  I'm not  sure what to try next, given that any direct alteration of the printer  setup is out of the question.

Any help would be great!!!

Lighting Source Settings -  http://lightningsource.com/ops/files/premedia/PSsettingsINDcs4_PC_int.pdf

• 1. Re: Moving from Corel Ventura into InDesign CS4 - prints dark
          Printer_Rick Level 4

You need to determine the color space of the print device. This is defined by an ICC profile.

The general idea is the document moves from source color to destination color. With General Purpose, the Document Color Space is sRGB. The RGB policy is Preserve Embedded. So if you place any RGB images with a profile different from sRGB, that profile will be honored by InDesign (a good thing).

There is no need for Distiller. First try printing from InDesign. In the print dialog, select the print device and the composite output color mode will be correct.

Now go to Color Management in the print dialog. Select "Document". "Let InDesign Determine Colors". By the printer profile, you need to select the ideal ICC, corresponding to the print device and paper type. For super accurate color, you can have custom ICC profiles generated by online services.

If a small test print is not satisfactory post here again. Sometimes printing straight from InDesign does not produce the best result. In such case, exporting to PDF, then printing from Acrobat can be the solution.

• 2. Re: Moving from Corel Ventura into InDesign CS4 - prints dark
            LizKing Level 1

We are printing black & white - on a black & white digital Heidelberg press.  We can't print from InDesign directly (different deparment for printing) not to mention the time involved (not too quick of a process printing something that large out of ID).  These books are usually around 150 page - sometimes more, sometimes less.  Also these materials are distributed as pdf's & cataloged as pdf's.  We do a fair amount of print on demand of these materials as well.  So, we must keep pdf's in the workflow.  It's not specifically about printing just images from ID.  The entire document changes.

• 3. Re: Moving from Corel Ventura into InDesign CS4 - prints dark
              Printer_Rick Level 4

InDesign has no grayscale color management, which could be part of the problem.

When you make the PS file, are you printing composite gray, or separations and selecting the black plate only?

• 4. Re: Moving from Corel Ventura into InDesign CS4 - prints dark
                Printer_Rick Level 4

Not knowing more, this is a possible solution if you have Photoshop:

1. In Photoshop with no documents open: Edit Color Settings. By CMYK, Custom CMYK. Black Generation "Maximum"

2. Hit OK, but NOT to the whole Color Settings dialog, just the Custom CMYK dialog. Again in the CMYK pull down, "Save CMYK" Put the profile in your Color Sync folder where InDesign will recognize it. After you save it CANCEL. You don't really want to alter your Photoshop color settings, you just want to create the Max Black Generation profile

3. In InDesign. Create a top most layer on master page. Create a white box to fill the whole page. Set Blend Mode to "Color" Lock the layer.

4. Change the transparency blend space to RGB (Under Edit)

5. Assign the new Max Black CMYK profile to the ID document (Edit: Assign Profile)

6. Check with Separations Preview, you should have K channel only

7. Export PDF/X1a. By Output: Destination: "Document CMYK." You must flatten transparency when you output PDF, and X-1a will do this. The PDF result will be black and white, K channel only. Verify in Acrobat.

This process converts an all color InDesign document to K only CMYK. Dot Gain will be standard 20% but can be changed in step 1 when you create the custom CMYK.

Any grayscale images placed should not be affected by this workflow.

This process is the closest thing I know of to grayscale color management in InDesign.

• 5. Re: Moving from Corel Ventura into InDesign CS4 - prints dark
                  Printer_Rick Level 4

Printer_Rick wrote:

Any grayscale images placed should not be affected by this workflow.

I was wrong about this part, my apologies.

If you have a placed grayscale image and use the workflow I mentioned, it will be different in the output from what it is in Photoshop.

One workaround is to not use any grayscale images. Place only color images, preferably source RGB because a conversion to CMYK in Photoshop is not beneficial.