10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 4:12 PM by A.T. Romano

How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around

Flyby2152 Level 1

Every time I delete or shorten footage, Premiere Elements 8 automatically shifts my whole timeline over to fill in the gap... and it is really annoying me because I don't want it to do that.

What really bothers me, is that sometimes it doesn't shift the whole timeline over. Sometimes it will shift one of my audio and video tracks, but not the 3rd or fourth track which causes my whole project to go out of sync just because I shortened/deleted something on the timeline.

There must be a setting somewhere that prevents Premiere from automatically closing the gaps... but I can't find it...

Can someone tell me how to change this?

• 1. Re: How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rt-Click your Clip and choose Clear. That will leave the gap.

If you are shortening a Clip, and wish to leave a gap, hold down the Ctrl key.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around
            nealeh Level 5

Shift-Delete cuts a clip and leaves the gap.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That's what I love about Adobe programs - usually more than one way to skin a video...

Much depends on one's chosen workflow, and whether they'd rather use keystrokes, or mouse clicks. On the laptop, I find that the mouse suits me better, while on the workstation, I use a combo of the two. Then, when I grab PS, or Painter, I will not put down my stylus, unless I have to - it just does not "do it" for me, when using other programs.

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around
                VideoFrank Level 1

I have the same problem when attempting to speed-up a clip (e.g. from 100% to 150%) in a particular track. All the clips to the right of the speeded-up clip shift left to fill in the gap.  Using the Control key (for some reason) disables the ability to change the speed in the Time Stretch window, so that trick doesn't work. Note: holding down any of the other keys (e.g. Shift, Option, Command) don't work either.  Adobe Premiere Elements 10 should have a Preference to enable/disable track shifting! With my old Adobe Premiere 6.5 application, I could delete clips, add clips, shorten clips, extend clips, all without any shifting of the stuff to the right.  Any other ideas to prevent track-shifting when using the "Time Stretch" function?

-- Frank

• 5. Re: How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, if you slow things down, then you will have more Frames, and if you speed things up, you will have fewer Frames, all for the same Duration. What exactly do you want to have happen?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around
                    VideoFrank Level 1

I have a 4 second clip that has been slowed-down to 50% (occupies 8 seconds on the timeline) already on my timeline somewhere around the middle of the whole project. After some thought about the clip, I decided to speed it back up to 100% AND EXTEND THE CLIP ANOTHER 4 SECONDS (FOR A TOTAL OF 8 SECONDS) TO FILL THE 8 SECOND HOLE IN THE TIMELINE. When I speed-up the clip to 100%, all of the tracks to the right move left to fill-in the gap. Now when I extend the clip another 4 seconds, NONE OF THE SHIFTED TRACKS MOVE BACK TO THEIR ORIGINAL POSITIONS. THINGS AT THIS POINT ARE ALL SCREWED-UP. It's even trickier when the slowed-down speed is 62.5% or other non-integer values.

-- Frank

• 7. Re: How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around
                      texdig2 Level 1

did the speed adjustment / clip shifting nightmare ever get addressed or is it simply still not possible? In PrE13 .. I can't change speed via any method without shifting other clips. Must drag the clip to end and change speed there then drag back and carefully place in it's original spot. Very poor time costly method ..as are many dummied down features or lost features now in PrE13.  Are pro versions a better choice ..or getting worse too?

• 8. Re: How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

texdig2

This is a 3 year old thread in which the participants have not signed into the thread or Adobe Premiere Elements Forum in months/years. It was the time of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 apparently.

What do you want to do in Premiere Elements 13 - create a fast motion effect in a video clip in Premiere Elements 13 without the clip to its right moving to the left

to fill the gap created during creation of the fast motion effect or other?

In Premiere Elements 13 Expert workspace, I find that I can create a fast motion video effect with Tools/Time Remapping and return to the Expert workspace with the gap maintained.

Whereas, if I use Time Stretch, the gap is closed automatically. See screenshot for details ...first set of 3 clips, where Time Remapping Fast Motion 4x was applied to the second clip and second set of 3 clips where Time Stretch Speed % = 400 was applied to the second clip. Note audio consequences if audio involved.

ATR

• 9. Re: How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around
                          texdig2 Level 1

will try the remap feature, THANK YOU. I got alot of work done with version 8 ..now important work is taking days with v 13 !! Slowing down a clip. even on upper unused track as claimed to work by Adobe, only reeks havoc unless drug to end ..changed.. brought back. Greatly miss the perfect tool for this ..the time drag tool.
                          ........ Remap it is !!

• 10. Re: How to prevent Premiere from shifting timeline around
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

texdig2

Thanks for the reply. Hope that the Premiere Elements 13 Time Remapping works for you.

A just in case note...in version 13, the Quick workspace offers Time Remapping under Tools Menu (top of interface) or Tools Tab at bottom of that Quick workspace. No Time Stretch in Quick workspace.

But, in the Expert workspace, you will see access to both Time Remapping and Time Stretch in those Tools locations.

Best wishes

ATR