12 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 6:45 AM by E Diane King

acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit

getho Level 2

...seems very flaky

Anyone else having issues?

Issues include: failure to export (with no rhyme or reason - I can crash indesign with an export that will work fine the next time I start).

Acrobat crashes on exit.

My only suspects (and they're all long shots):

dodgy ICC profile?

incompatibility with a explorer extension or other ap (using font agent pro4 - but get crashes when its not running)

• 1. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
          getho Level 2

hmmm so its just me then?

Everything else seems pretty stable - although bridge crashes occasionaly.

• 2. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
            Bill@VT Level 7

I don't have an answer, but 11 minutes is not a very reasonable time frame to wait for an answer, You would likely get an answer within 24 hours, maybe you get lucky and get one within the hours. Please by patient.

• 3. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
              getho Level 2

Is 5 days and 11 minutes reasonable

?
              • 4. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
                fiedler

There is a problem with the forum that is preventing answers to your question...I finally got it to come up with the reply box by repeatedly tring to post blank replies.

Had Acrobat Pro 9.3 crash ID once, but I don't remember why. Usually this happens when you try to do too much too fast. I tell everyone using Windows  to slow down, take your time or you will crash/hang the operating system. This is mainly a problem with fast typists who drink a lot of coffee.

My biggest problem is 9.3 "not responding" until a few minutes after you open a pdf.

• 5. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
                  eibook

There are a few PC's at my office that are kind of in the same boat as you.

Acrobat 9.3.1 Pro is very slow when opening PDF's from network locations and when you close Acrobat it just hangs....and eventually closes.

Running 2.67Ghz Xeon processors, 8GB of RAM, running Windows 7 64-bit, so PC horsepower should not be an issue.

• 6. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
                    getho Level 2

hmm,

If I select say 5 or 6 pdfs (even tiny 10kb ones) and open I get a crash. If I open them one at a time, i can open them all and more. The crash is always preceeded with a dialog box

Content preparation progress.

"please wait while acrobat prepares content for"

I dont remember ever seeing this on XP.  Anyone know what it is, and how to switch it off?

It also seems that PDF's I've previously generated (not on this system) are more likely to crash acrobat: i just experimented with pdf's I'd downloaded elsewhere and I could open 7 or 8 at once without a crash, as opposed to 3 of my own.

I thought it might be an issue with type 1 fonts, but a few of the downloaded pdfs have type one fonts embedded so that cant be it.

If anyone else has more info I'll try to log a bug

• 7. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
                      Bill@VT Level 7

Opps, sorry. I missed the date. There seem to be several posts coming out on Win 7, 64-bit. Maybe someone will come out with a solution for you soon.

Looking at some of the posts, I remember seeing something similar related to the "processing" with AA8 and VISTA. I did not get a crash, but it delayed opening. As I remember it is a matter of turning off part of the reading function for the PDFs. If you can find that in AA9 preferences, it might be worth a try to turn off.

• 8. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
                        getho Level 2

hey bill

(or anyone that may know)

any idea what thing to swithc off in prefs - yes I get the "processing page..." message but I've looked the the prefs and cant find a candidate.

I've tried trashing the adobe font cache that didn't help. Tried switching to a default colour management policy.

• 9. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
                          getho Level 2

OK here is the event log for the crash - its the same api crashes every time

Faulting application name: Acrobat.exe, version: 9.3.0.148, time stamp: 0x4b3090a5
                          Faulting module name: MakeAccessible.api, version: 9.3.0.148, time stamp: 0x4b307397
                          Exception code: 0xc0000005
                          Fault offset: 0x0012b302
                          Faulting process id: 0x1f80
                          Faulting application start time: 0x01cad148cefb3be7
                          Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
                          Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\
                          Report Id: 0db24577-3d3c-11df-b9ea-e0cb4e2c4d27

So i just renamed it MakeAccessible.ignoreapi

and guess what? so far no crashes.  ho hum.  I hope Adobe have been building and testing CS5 on windows 7 64 bit, because right now I'm finding all their software flaky.  (Although on the basis of the last 3 versions, it seems to take nearly a year to iron out version #1 bugs)

• 10. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
                            locorojo

same problem here - just upgraded in the last month to Windows 7, running Acrobat 9.3 STD.

HP elitebook 8730W, 1/2 gig on the nvidia Quadro graphics card and 4 gb ram - so that's not the problem, 2.8 ghz on the intel core duo - better not be the problem.

very unstable - crashes every time I try to open more than 1 pdf at a pop.  Also routinely crashes when doing simple thinks like putting a sticky note on a doc.  Very slow on any search functions.

I've lost many many hours to this program in the last month.  any permanent solutions would be greatly appreciated.

• 11. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
                              locorojo Level 1

nice fix Getho - opened about 50mb worth of pdfs with no glitch.  also everything is moving along much faster - searches taking seconds instead of 5 minutes.

not sure if that makes it so I can't read my document out loud (good thing I'm not blind!), but I'll go with the trade off.

Thanks again.

• 12. Re: acrobat 9.3 windows 7 64 bit
                                E Diane King Level 3

I'm having the same problem too.  Even with single PDFs the accessibility feature is a huge time waster, but the crashes when opening mutliple PDFs at once is a huge bug. Has anyone actually reported this as a bug to adobe?  The accessibility feature is nice, but it should be something you can toggle on and off (and should be off by default). I would assume that most users of Acrobat Pro are not visually challenged.  Acrobat Reader might be a different matter, but this option really gets in the way of productivity.  It takes too long to prepare the document, and if you just need to quickly view a lot of PDFs it's detrimental to a productive workflow.